main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aragorn327, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Still on that God of War train. It's a special game, and I'll probably have a lot to say about it when I'm through. I do feel bad for anyone who didn't experience the original trilogy before jumping into this one, though.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just an FYI; Beyond Two Souls (the Ellen Page game) is up for free on PS Plus this month.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Free is too expensive for Beyond: Two Souls, they owe me a refund.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    What's so terrible about the game? I've only played the demo on the PS3; but it seemed interesting.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The writing sucks, the appeal of the game is about your "choices mattering" when they don't, originally the game was presented in non-chronological order for no narrative/thematic/discernible reason (admittedly the PS4 version fixes that), David Cage is a bad director so the performances are lackluster, David Cage rendered Ellen Paige naked despite explicitly telling her he would not, David Cage should never be encouraged under any circumstances, etc.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well the PS Plus freebie is for the PS4 version. I like Ellen Page, and if her character is as convincing in a video game as they typically are on the big screen, I'll be satisfied.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Monster Hunter World - the good and the bad:

The good:
    • Got vengeance on Pukei-Pukei, with the level 1 poison resistance being surprisingly effective in reducing the hit. Went at the bastard with a katana - broke its tails, its wings, its head, its poison sac, by the time it died it was a mass of broken bones and parts.
    • Killed another Great Jagras - hammer is definitely better on that bastard.
    • Now have Level 2 poison resistance active too.

The bad:
    • Tried an arena quest on the Kula enemy - it didn't go well.
    • First, you get set armour with the weapon and items.
    • Two, no Palico.
    • Three, no skull icon when it's near death and it recovers quicker than in the environment.
    • Eventually killed it and then only had 20 secs to loot it! Not fun.

The Focus Camera remains very erratic. I might have a way to order the Palico around, but it's not come yet.

Still, do have a new poison hammer to try on enemies - might try it on that damn bird.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, it turns out there are ways of getting more of those damn armour spheres in MHW, without having to kill monsters - well, at least, not all the time.

Did a couple of quest sets and ended up with 5-6 spheres from each. Applied to armour that made a more noticeable difference, to the degree that I now think I can end up with an armour set that can give me a chance and I better know how to craft future ones.

The amount of things you have to do manually in the game still frustrates - drink a potion! No, I'm putting the weapon away first, prompt me again when that's done. The camera remains a pain the arse, with every fight being a dual battle against it and the camera. If the gameplay matched up to the audio-visuals it'd be fantastic. As it is, it feels ludicrous at times. Never more so when I'd just killed a Great Jagras, an Anjanath turned up - a massive, fire-spewing T-rex - I leg it down a small tunnel. What happens? It follows me through this tiny tunnel that it cannot possibly fit into physically except the game now says it can!

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    DK Tropical Freeze on Switch.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wow - went and killed 2 Great Jagras, did a handful of search quests and somehow ended up with 10 armour spheres that enabled to max out an armour piece - nice!

Going to have to go Barroth hunting tomorrow to get the materials to craft another piece, or, if I'm lucky, two.

What's noticeable now is the attacks from the Jagras, great and small, were doing far less damage. The resource quests, combined with each other - the game double counts in a way that can really be exploited - and an expedition, actually results in a rewarding structure that incentivises further play.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I am pretty jealous. Hope you enjoy.

Ben do you play MHW on PS4?

12. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I really wish the new DKC games felt more like the original SNES trilogy, but nevertheless I picked this one up and plan on tackling it after I platinum God of War. Playing as Funky Kong is a childhood dream fulfilled.

Life likes this.
  13. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    It’s a good game and a challenge. Looks and sounds nice too.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but don't have a PS Plus yet. Might give in on that eventually.

Technically, it runs very well - probably looks stunning on the Pro too.

SensationalSean and heels1785 like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So MHW went back to being a bastard - killed a Barrith, did I get enough parts to forge new armour, of course not! The only bright spot is I have some pieces towards a new set and the things are a bit easier to kill due to not being able to hit as hard.

The post-hunt timer is irritating - why should I only get 60 seconds to loot everything before the game arbitrarily warps me back to base? It's piggin' irritating... As is being right near a massive monster and finding that the attack.... missed.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    But you're missing so many great, free games, like Beyond: Two Souls! Reviewers are raving:

17. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The other free game this month is Rayman Legends, which is a magnificent game.

18. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    Just beat God of War the other day. It was a fantastic game. I've only played about half of the very first game and that's it and I was still able to enjoy it.
    Next I'm planning on playing more of Breath of the Wild. I've put so many hours into that game and I don't think I'm even half way through it yet. Such a great game. I still need to get back into Super Mario Odyssey and beat it. And later this month is Hyrule Warriors for the Switch and Detroit: Become Human on the PS4!

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, Monster Hunter World

First, Toba-Kadachi, who is, supposedly, highly susceptible to poison. No, no it isn’t, so that was the first problem. Whacked him a good few times with a poison hammer and it did sweet feck all. Second is his entire strategy boils down to jump-out-of-camera-view, ambush-you-from-off-camera - which is the major problem of the entire game. For all it goes on about observing the monster to tell what it’ll do, the game camera allows too few opportunities to really do this. The result are frustrating - I’ve really noticed that on vids of Bloodborne, the enemies don’t tend to go off-camera like they do here.

Following up on that was the Anjanath fight which emphasised the other aspect of the game I dislike - on the mandatory story quests, regardless of preparation, you will still be under-powered for the fight you are doing. After I just about managed to kill the bastard and it added a final insult of sending me off a cliff so preventing me from getting the crave rewards - an entire new armour rank “opened up”, so that couldn’t have been there before? It’s blatantly arbitrary in how it artificially limits the player.

Still, a fight with Zorah Magdros! That’ll be epic, right? Er, no, it’s about as far from that as you can get - with cannons and ballistate that have these strange, far away ammo piles that mean you are going back forth while being attacked by flying enemies, walking really slowly too. Then you fire the cannons and keep doing that. Then you fly and board it and you have to destroy some cores, but it turns out you only do one and then some cutscene cuts in, then some new dragon turns up, you fight it for a bit and it legs it. This was supposed to be the grand first boss fight of the game, it was a huge anticlimax. The only thing that looked cool was going through the great ravine it had created - it’s just a section of running through some territory but it looked incredible.

Cue the new area that almost, almost, makes all this crap worthwhile - Coral Highlands. This is an aesthetic masterpiece and probably the one area above all I wanted access to. So, it doesn’t matter as much how much further I get in the game now. The story’s not exactly compelling and now I have new armours, new options and a stunning new area to run around.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Shoutout to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for reminding me that I am bad at video games.

[​IMG]

21. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Getting Hyrule Warriors for Switch on Thursday. [face_party]

Grievousdude likes this.
  22. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Been playing Battlefront 2. I only have two trophies left for the platinum now. 25 hero ships with fighter ships (7 down!) and level 50. I'm around level 33 at the moment. Hopefully that trophy doesn't glitch on me! :p

23. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Right now I'm spending most of my hours in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege. Trying to beat my friend's lvl (lvl 80, I'm half-way through lvl 79), at the same time I practise my aim and reaction time, while I learn the maps better.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, I got the most incredible revenge on Pukei-Pukei, but that’s for later.

First, did an explore and took on Tzitzi-ku-ya - not too bad a fight except he has this flash-blind attack that goes all the way in front and partly behind him! Oh and it has infinite range. Despite his spamming that towards the end, he still died.

Continued exploring and looting the Coral Highlands, with the result that I got a whole load of new stuff. Headed back to base, turns out I can craft a Poison Charm. That, with the other two poison resist armour pieces, raises the defence ability to ‘prevents poison’. Now I was expecting it to be some less than 100% probability crap, but had to test it, right? Cue another round with Pukei.

This is where it became spectacularly. At one point I’m standing in a poison cloud that the thing has vomited and I’m not poisoned. Pukei’s main attack is poison, it’s doing zero damage. He still got some hits in yeah, but the other defence was high enough that that was minor. Oh yeah and the Palico is now, at Level 12, far quicker to chuck out the vigorwasps. He also has the ability to recruit others so I’m now sometimes fighting with a Jagras or Kestodon present!

Also had crafted a new weapon, a greatsword - damn, did this thing bash the crap out of both Pukei and Great Jagras. The big hit whacked him for triple figure damage! One quest was to kill it in 15 minutes, the lowest time setting I’ve come across - 5 minutes and 30 seconds later… So, having killed one, went and killed another and same result. They say revenge is a dish best served cold… This one was very cold.

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I must be around the half way point of God of War now, or maybe even further. It's incredible. The combat system is insanely good, and the graphics are up there with the latest two Uncharted entries. I wish there were more battles like your first encounter with Balder though.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.