main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aragorn327, Sep 3, 2009.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Crysis 2 is much better, but that doesn't mean Crysis is bad. I'm playing through on the second hardest difficulty and it's not been too hard. Yes, you can't go into armour mode and charge a group of soldiers like you can in Crysis 2, you don't have the Nanosuit 2.0 so you haven't got the armour modes that are in Crysis 2, and whatever.

Just a few pointers here. The weapons suck without additional sights, like the red dot sights or the assault scope. I use the sniper scope on my automatic because I can, and it gives 4x zoom for medium range combat and 10x for sniping. And yes, the enemy automatic *is* good for sniping, you just need to go for the headshot. I also put it on semi-automatic and keep pressing 'fire'. Don't run at groups of enemies. Hunker down and snipe if you can. Stealth is great for this, and a silencer helps when you've run out of juice. My gun setup is a silencer, the grenade launcher, the sniper scope, and sometimes incendiary ammo (which you get late in the game). Don't rely on aim assist either, it's something you should never do. Hone your own skills and you won't need it ever. Don't rely on armour mode to save your skin. It can and it will, but it'll also fail under enemy fire too.

There are also some parts that are better than Crysis 2. There's a large amount of zero gravity fighting. There's more variety in level design. There are flying things, and not just ground based enemies. There's a lot of water so there are boats and swimming.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just tried it again.

I'm right at the start of the game and the enemies remain stupidly over-powered and immune to bullets. Timesplitters 2 is even older than Crysis but had enemies that responded to being shot, they may have had armour but they still responded, hell even the Helgast respond more to being shot than these damn robots. Not only that but these guys can out-run bullets even when you've got a certain shot - Crytek actually managed to render a machine gun incredibly ineffective. Oh and the eyesight on these guys, they can see and accurately from miles away - shooting at stickmen isn't fun, if that's the height of the FPS genre then the genre needs executing for its own good.

If Crysis is supposedly an example of PC gaming at its best then I'm concluding lots of gloss, fiddly and picky controls, with the notion of a learning curve being non-existent. I'm sure if you have better coordination, are really good at FPS and know how to quickly line up a headshot in 3D environment then you might like it. I don't have that level of coordination and a game that offers "help" that is nothing of the kind only adds insult to injury. I have not the time or patience in this respect - if I notice the artifice of game design something has gone badly wrong somewhere.

So, had enough, deleted the over-rated piece of crap. There's better things to spend my time on.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Crysis was (is?) a showcase of the PC's technical power. It's shocking how bad the actual shooting gameplay is. Especially the telescopic hive-mind enemy "AI". If Crysis wanted to be some sort of stealthy shooter, it should have acted like one. It most definitely does not.

Want good shooting? TF2. If you manage to avoid all the complete morons that play it... Or Quake Live :p
    But not much else ever since they started designing them around the 360 controller...
    I still can't decide if Hard Reset is good or not. It's probably a bit too chaotic at times, which makes it difficult to say if the shooting was any good. You kinda just shoot everywhere and pray o_O

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm wondering if I was spoilt in terms of the first FPS' I really got hooked on were Killzone 2/3 and Bulletstorm, the latter 2 are 2011 games, K2 is 2009, it seems any FPS I play that's earlier or is more retro like Resistance 3 I just cannot get on with.

I guess the other point is how the game is sold as. I bought it as it had difficulty levels so must be one that's suited to me right? No. Ah but some games are hard! Then SAY so! I haven't bought either Demon's or Dark Souls. Why? Because I know they are not for me but those games are up-front about it, their marketing screams: This is a hard bastard of a game that'll kick the crap out of you every time UNLESS you're very, very good! People know what they're getting. I bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 because it was more balanced, by all accounts on the harder settings it's a hard bastard all right but those are for people other than me!

5. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Batman: Arkham City... and it is glorious.

6. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Currently doing a stint of retro gaming.

Game of the moment: Age of Empires (and having a blast with it :)).

7. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    War of the Worlds on XBOX Arcade, voiced by Patrick Stewart. Good Lord, the game is so beautiful. Really has a London 1950s feel.

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Ooh, I like Patrick Stewart. I'd download the trial but I'm out of bandwidth for the month. Could you tell me a little bit more about it? Also, I'm far too tempted to get the 'Keep Calm and Carry on' tshirt for my XBL avatar.

Currently I'm playing Battlefield 3. Can't get onto multiplayer (probably because it's not out until tomorrow) but the campaign is great so far.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    having a blast with deus ex HR

10. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001

11. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I'm now up to 991 light seeds in Prince of Persia. I've healed all the lands, but have taken a break from the story to collect light seeds before I head to the temple to finish the game. I figured that if I finish the story, I won't have the same eagerness any more to return to it and collect the light seeds, so I'll do it now while I'm still in the story.

12. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I reinstalled Prince of Persia: The Search for a Subtitle last week. Never bothered going after all the lightseeds though. I don't think I ever fully did any collecting in any game.

I just needed something pretty and relaxing, and boy does it do those two well

13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I remember getting close to 600 light seeds in that game and then encountering some weird save game glitch where I obtained one but it didn't count towards my total, so I would forever be -1 from completion. So I started a new game and began my quest anew and eventually got 1001. Which is a testament to how enjoyable that game was.

14. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    They could actually have made the powers slightly more expensive - I don't even need to collect any anymore and haven't even touched the 4th "world". Though maybe then I wouldn't like it for being too grindy. I still collect the ones I spot because.... sooooo pretty :D

15. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Enjoying Battlefield 3 Multiplayer and Forza 4 until Halo Anniversary and AC: Revelations comes out.

16. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    Currently playing Resident Evil Code Veronica and Timesplitters Future Perfect for my Gamecube console.

Plus today I dug out my Resident Evil 4 Gamecube game to plan on playing it later this week or weekend

17. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    skyrim (amazing, amazing game), FO: new vegas (having loads of fun there as well), and marvel vs capcom 3

18. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Skyrim. And nothing but.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Attempting to juggle Skyrim, Saints Row and Forza simultaneously. (Hint: It ain't easy)

20. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Still working my way through Lord of the Rings: War In the North, Final Fantasy 13 (working on that terrible Treasure Hunter trophy), and I just picked up AC: Revelations yesterday. However, absolutely everything is being dropped on Sunday to play Skyward Sword.

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Still fighting and predatoring my way through Arkham City's challenges on my way to Perfect Knight 2.0.

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Don't. Just...don't.

Trust me on this one.

[image=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd61/Sweetly-1/Decorated%20images/girl-with-gun-in-mouth.jpg]

23. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Gathered all the light seeds in Prince of Persia (08), although I will admit I caved in and had to use a guide to find how to get to the final four out of the regular 1000 (the ones I were missing were up in that balcony with the secret entrance in The Cauldron). Finished the story. I read that the ending was a cliffhanger, but I don't think the ending warrants a continuation.

To me, it seems they went for a symbolic ending, a commentary on man's fallibility and corruptible nature. One of those artful "and thus it continues again and again and again and again"-endings. It all came full circle. In the end, the Prince did the same mistake as the King, and put his own need above the fate of the world. And while the downloadable Epilogue continues the story a bit further, and the world is saved (as far as I can gather from reading plot summaries, as I haven't played it), Elika is put off by the Prince's decision to revive her, and leaves him. So thematically, it's still the same ending somewhat; The Prince became what he was fighting (Elika's father) by putting his longing/devotion for Elika above the greater good. It's sort of a "Anakin accepting the Dark Side to save Padme"-moment. It also fits with what seems to be the other theme of the story: that anyone can be corrupted in a moment of weakness.

Anyway, to the actual point of the thread: I'm now playing Mirror's Edge, and am at the 3rd chapter.

24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Such an underrated gem. And I like your view of the PoP ending.

25. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    Skyrim, and it's easily one of the best games I've played thusfar even though I admit there are a good amount of glitches. I also don't remember being this bad at Oblivion [face_not_talking] . Also trying to fit in some FIFA 12 but I can't seem to latch on to the new defense system.