main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aragorn327, Sep 3, 2009.

1. AshenKorin

AshenKorin Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2015
    Currently:

Star Wars Moviebattles 2/Jedi Academy mp mod
    League of Legends
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Skyrim
    Smite

2. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    Yikes, that sounds like a tough one. On my first play, I thought I would've gotten that one based on how many times I kept getting killed. But I'm glad that you got that one achievement of never being killed only on your second playthrough. I'm trying it again just for that achievement, but I'm on Novice (I'm a wimp when it comes to this game).

3. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Started Shadow of Mordor the other night. A little frustrating at first but enjoying it a lot more now.

4. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
  5. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    You are a wimp! I at least got the achievement on Easy. :p That was before Novice and Nightmare were added to the game though. If Novice was there, I probably would have just done that as well. Still, the game doesn't become ridiculously easy to play even on the lowest difficulties because the alien is 99% of the time a one-hit killer.

6. Jhotoh_Yularis

Jhotoh_Yularis Jedi Master

Mar 12, 2015
    I've been playing Star Wars Bounty Hunter for the first time, it's certainly rough around the edges but I'm finding it fun although there is this one part of platforming and fighting with the way the camera wants to go is a bit of a chore.

Life likes this.
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Assassin's Creed III: Liberation HD. A remaster/port of a PS Vita game, graphically it's almost undetectable that it started its life as a mobile game. Where it's more noticeable is in the rather primitive GUI, the smallish environments, and the gameplay that doesn't take full advantage of the engine. All these elements make gameplay more tedious than usual, but for an AC diehard like me, the writing makes up for it. It's very good at playing with the conceit that it's a game put out by the Templars, deploying it to best effect in the fake-out ending. Aveline is a compelling protagonist, one I'd like to see more of. And the storyline is fantastic, focusing on the toll of a lifestyle of danger, deception, and paranoia. Aveline's mentor is a flawed man, one who plays his cards too close to his chest and is eventually driven to extremes by paranoia. Aveline's own family is riddled with issues as a result of the Assassins and Templars. It's got a lot to it, and it was really nice to see a complex, ambiguous story like this in a small-scale game. I have to say that I loved seeing Connor, too. It was great seeing two Assassins working together. That's a dynamic with a lot of untapped potential. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it to the casual gamer, but it's a must for anybody hooked on the AC universe.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  8. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    It is funny how Novice opens up after one has already completed the game on a more difficult setting. But I like how it is such a challenging game and has a lot of repeat value.

9. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Novice and Nightmare difficulties were added to the game a few months after the game came out. Some people wanted the game to be easier and some (myself included) wanted another harder difficulty. But yes, Alien: Isolation does has a lot of repeat value, even considering how difficult the game is. Playing and beating the game on Hard the first time was and will probably one my greatest gaming experiences. This game made the alien truly terrifying again.

klingklang and Life like this.
  10. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Ah, I didn't know those levels were added. Those didn't come up for me at the beginning, so I thought those were something made available after one already played the game. I definitely agree with on the effects of this game. It certainly is better than Colonial Marines (although, I guess most games are better than that one!).

11. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Perhaps try checking to see if you copy of Isolation is up to date. The difficulties were added in a patch and I do not recall you having to beat the game to unlock them. And don't get me started on Colonial Marines. I remember when that was supposed to be a tactical four-player co-op shooter that was supposed to be challenging and intense. Even the E3 demo from 2011 made it look great. Then the game came out...yeesh. As much as I like the Borderlands games, I have been boycotting Gearbox Software since the release of Colonial Marine because the BS they pulled.

12. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    I don't have any updates on my game since I first started playing it at the beginning of March, so I don't know why it wasn't complete (I have the Nostromo Edition, so perhaps that was an issue?). But it seems to have everything from Novice to Nightmare now, so all is well.

And that's so true about Gearbox, but I think far too many developers pull such stunts. I've stopped doing game pre-orders because of that. I've been frequently disappointed by what was promised versus what was ultimately delivered.

Life and Thoix Heoro like this.
  13. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    I've stopped doing game pre-orders too for the most part. I only pre-order games where I trust the developer any if I know I will be playing the game for years to come. I am not sorry for pre-ordering Isolation, but I only rented Colonial Marines. I couldn't help it in Isolation's case because all the hands-on previews were so positive and they showed off a ton of gameplay that represented the final game. I commend Creative Assembly for not holding back. Gearbox on the other hand was the polar opposite in nearly every aspect and the more they showed Colonial Marines the more disappointing it looked.

klingklang likes this.
  14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Metroid Prime, first time playing in about 12 years.

Life likes this.
  15. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, Shovel Knight, Edge, Assassin's Creed III, and Swords and Soldiers.

16. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Well, that's a handful.

17. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    NHL 2005. Yeah its old, but it's the only hockey game I own.

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Final Fantasy Type-0 HD. It's so good to be playing it after 9 years of waiting.

19. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    That was a fun game. I seem to play a NHL game once every decade. My brother and I began this trend with NHL 95 on SNES, continued it with 2005 on the original Xbox, and now we're on 2015 with Xbox One. The leaps in NHL graphics every decade is quite noticeable. :p

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Naeriel

Naeriel Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2015
    KOTOR. finally just got it back via Steam. taking a lot of getting used to again.
    WOW: Warlords of Draenor. Getting my Death Knight up to 90, and trying to get my warrior gear good enough to start trying to raid.

and trying to worm my way into a d20 Star Wars RPG. Idk if I'll be able to sweet talk my better half into it, but, meh. worth trying.

21. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Unfortunately the disc is terribly scratched and even froze on me. So now I believe I'll either continue to play Epic Mickey ( which I'm really getting into), Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures or just another star wars game.

22. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Bloodborne just arrived! Can't wait to play it. Have to finish getting the Platinum for Shadow of Mordor first though.

23. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    Far Cry 4

I know I'm late to the party, but I've really been enjoying this game, which is surprising to me since my purchases to this point (bought my PS4 about 2-months ago) had been based on how good the story is supposed to be. It's normally really important to me. I'm about ten hours into Far Cry 4 (and have been doing a lot of off-story exploring) but I won't argue with reviews saying the storyline is mediocre. It would be one thing if it were flat out bad, but the thing is, even a linear story line to string everything together is all the game really needs.

As somebody who has traveled internationally a fair amount, I do feel like I'm visiting this world, and like with any of my other travels, I don't need a story to find the environment and culture engaging. Sure, I can't taste the foods, truly talk to the people etc but the freedom and action provide different kinds of excitement. Between the animals, transportation (which does take some getting used to), scenery, and random events (skirmishes etc), the sandbox FC4 has to offer is so fun and open that you're really making your own story through how you choose to experience it all. The visuals also make for a nice departure from the norm. Most games I see now are dark and brooding, whereas this one is much more colorful.

As somebody who skipped the PS3 and hasn't played this series before, I would give it a range around a 9.0 and 8.5, since I do still have a ways to go.

Life likes this.
  24. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Battlefield 4

It isn't a Battlefield game without ridiculously over-powered helicopters. When one person can kill almost your entire team in the span of nearly five seconds, you know there are some poorly thought out game mechanics. This plus other numerous reasons is why I gave up playing Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 all together. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is a far superior game compared to the last three releases. I really, really hope DICE isn't basing Star Wars: Battlefront almost entirely on Battlefield.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Decided to switch to Tales of Xillia 2 after the latest Tales of Symphonia 2 idiocy which is basically akin to inviting someone to a martial arts contest, telling them their opponents are black belts and then, after they've had the bejeezus kicked out of them, actually revealing them to be 5th Dan holders! It's ludicrous that you can be over 10 levels higher than the bosses you're up against and still be ripped to pieces. The way to win? Comes down to being 'lucky' in that certain moves don't get used. Yeah, great.

In contrast, Xillia 2 actually plays like it wants you to keep playing it. It has an actual curve instead of a line graph showing massively variable volatility in very short spaces of time that fits the other game perfectly.

I don't particularly object to a game being difficult so long as makes the claim up front. I knew what was I getting in for when I bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 for instance. In comparison, Symphonia 2 comes across as a dishonest dealer with a stacked deck! The original game certainly did it too, but there it isn't as bad due to better AI strategy options and enemies don't hit quite so viciously.

With a bit of luck Xillia 2 and Graces will keep me occupied until I get a PS4 to play Witcher 3 at the end of May. About the only aspects of note in Symphonia 2 are those ideas that feature in the later games but in better or more measured forms - life bars, mystic artes.