main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What are you doing for Lent?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Me, too.

2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I've never heard that joke made before.

Souderwan and AaylaSecurOWNED like this.
  3. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Do people really give stuff up for Lent???

Im giving up useless and meaningless traditions, like Lent.

4. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Wow! That's a really new and original joke!

5. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    OZK,

When I was a little girl and went to church, the Episcopal church required me to give up things I liked for Lent. For me, it was either candy or ice cream. Now that I'm an adult, I don't have to give that stuff up for Lent because my doctor has already made me give it up, for life.

6. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    its more original than giving up things for Lent...

People always give up the dumbest things, chocolate, TV, stayin up late. Totally misses the point of LENT..

People never do anything that actually benefits another person, like being more caring, or being nicer to people. Who cares if someone gives up soda, it does nothing for your fellow man.. So I think LENT is as silly as it gets....

its as stupid as saying God Bless you when someone sneezes...

eht13 and Rew like this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Is LENT in all caps that edgy new musical about people with AIDS who have to organize an Easter celebration?

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    has anyone said "your mom", yet? because: "your mom"

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Damn. I never thought I'd agree with you on anything.

eht13 likes this.
  10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    You are also supposed to devote more time to prayer and almsgiving and helping the poor. I am also planning to volunteer at the immigration clinic for Lent. Need to practice my Spanish.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  11. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Hey OZK! I am giving up soda and I was always taught to try to do things for others more during this time as well so I am doing some extra good deeds as well.

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  12. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    there might be a full moon out tonight....

I just find Catholics to be so silly. Theyre the same people who are saying "peace be with you in church" and the second they leave theyre giving the finger to an old lady taking to long to turn at a stop sign immediately after church let out...

Catholics pick and choose what they like from their religion... They wont go to church all year but its imperative to go at X-mas and Easter. Theyre as silly as you can get.

13. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    why use Lent as an excuse to do good deeds and why limit iot to 1 month a year...

see how silly it sounds, its borderline hysterics.

Hank Hill likes this.
  14. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm gonna stop peeling the fuzz out of that screen in my dryer. I'm giving up lint for lent.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Okay you're stupid because I literally just opened up this thread for the sole purpose of saying your mom

16. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    As clever and funny as this is, this joke, too, was also made earlier in the thread. Sorry.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  17. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm gonna give up trying to post the front-of-the-mind-obvious-jokes-without-reading-damn-thread sort of thing. I'm also going to give up Buddhism.

Souderwan and AaylaSecurOWNED like this.
  18. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    oh, I don't know, the occasional vision quest can't be ruled out.

Sauntaero likes this.
  19. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Yeah if you believe in ridiculous nonsense like inner spiritual visions achieved through introspective journeys not involving ever-edited texts based on Jewish zombies and talking snakes.

20. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    a vision quest is slightly different than believing in talking snakes...

you ever hear of an isolation tank. Many people sit in them and experience something. It taps into parts of the brain in the way LSD does... That's why people who have taken LSD find these creative insights they wouldn't have had unless on LSD.

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm not giving up anything, as I'm not Catholic (and I also mostly gave up soda, juice, and peanut butter for new year's--man, I miss peanut butter).

I actually think it's a nice tradition, though. It seems that people use Lent to try to better themselves in whatever way is important to them--whether it's giving up coke or giving up TV.

That is, I think it's a nice tradition 364 days of the year. Then Yom Kippur rolls around and I can't eat, and it's not so nice :p

Souderwan likes this.
  22. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I'm going on a diet. But that's just because I could stand to lose a few pounds, not because it's Lent. But since it's Lent, I'll probably indulge in a fish sandwich at least once from a local restaurant. Their fish sandwiches are to DIE for. I think they usually have Lenten specials. :D

Frankly, if you think about it, the whole "no meat on Fridays" thing isn't really a fast. I mean, is it better to have leftover meatloaf, or go out for a fancy lobster dinner?

I went to Catholic school, and I remember one of my teachers telling us almost the EXACT same thing. That instead of giving something up, you should try and do something extra.

(I always used to try and give up school for Lent when I was a kid, but my mom didn't let me)

23. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    ooh why give up peanut butter. that's not so bad for you.

I also am a big PB fan... not skippy but all natural PB is the best

24. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    ya because I still don understand how giving up chocolate does anything for anyone. Its not even really a sacrifice....

just smile and say hi to people, beats giving up staying up late.

25. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I've tried both, and not because of watching "Altered States" either. LSD works way better.

26. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

so does smelling salts and a sauna....

lmaoooo, never tried LSD, kinda afraid of it to be honest. I partied with other fun things just never that.

but a vision quest is different...

Some actually say that there is a drug, I cant remember the name, its extracted from a gland in the body and only lasts like 10-15 minutes but it supposedly unlocks parts of the brain that makes someone feel as if they can see the inner working of the universe. Like seeing the strings that hold everything togsther. and not peyote either.