main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC What are you doing for New Year's Eve?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Dec 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I'll have all three of my sons with me (yay) and I'm working the next day so no late night parties for me, but... what are *you* doing to celebrate (or hide)? :)

*Derisa*

2. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    I'm spending the eve with the wife and a few of our club members.
    I think we got an X-Box and a few games coming to pass the time till the ball drops. (quiet night)

Happy New Year Victoria!!!

3. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm dropping Amy off with older daughters of a friend of ours for a New Year's sleepover party, and then heading across town with Paul to attend a big New Year's party with our friends from the SCA.

- Rani

4. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, I *had* kind of wondered, on and off, if maybe any Fanforcers would be doing something for New Year's; I suppose it didn't seem too likely to me even then, but I nonetheless still wondered....so oh well, I guess that answers my question. And as for me....anything I'll be doing to ring in the new year? Can't say for sure even now....I probably will get together with some friends, but right now it all feels a smidgen too up-in-the-air uncertain, and a bit epheremal actually, for my liking. Again, oh well....I can deal, I guess. Be nice to do *something* for it, though....it always is, ever year. It's just - so much more fitting and appropriate that way, I do believe. :) Oh, well....I hope the coming year bodes well, regardless. :D

Dawn.

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, lady babe! Wanna come over and play a few games of Jedi Unleashed, or SW Monopoly? The younger two are going to bed around nine-ish, but Kelson and I will be up, and we'd love to ring in the New Year with you!

*Derisa*

6. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Jedi Unleashed??? SW Monopoly??? No Duels???

A game party has to have the Duels!!! If you have never played I highly recommend picking the game up.

*thinks Hummm...wonder if we could play an online version of the same game in the Canada General forum.

7. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Derisa - hey, sure, maybe....I think I might take you up on that offer after all. I mean, if you want me to, if it's still open. :) For sure I'll be in the area anyway....probably stopping by at a friend's place earlier, but won't be staying long, I should think....so whatever time is best for you, just let me know and I'll make it over. :D And re: SW Monopoly - so I take it this is what you'd want me to bring along, then? Or.... Well, anyway, I hope I'm not cuttin' it too close by gettin' in here too late. :)

Dawn.

8. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Awesome, Dawn, if you want to bring the game please do, but I'm sure we can find other things to do as well. :) Drop by anytime after five pm. :)

*Derisa*

9. Saber_Caddy

Saber_Caddy Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    Hehe. . .I rang in the year with a couple of friends and a buncha James Bond movies. . .it was fun :). Hope everybody's various shindigs, video game marathons, and whatnot went well! See you all later this year sometime ;).

Best of wishes for 2k3!

10. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *blink* *blink* Well, some plans may have gone a bit askew or been confuzzled for reasons I don't entirely understand myself....I'm *still* not at all sure what happened there....but nonetheless - yeah, I think I ended up having a perfectly decent New Year's too. To be sure, I do miss not having the First Night fireworks this year; it seems *wrong*, somehow, for there to not be a lovely tremendous fireworks display for new Year's, sinc it's one of those times when we naturally *expect* it. Fireworks for Canada Day, fireworks at one or another various times during the year....yet no fireworks for New Year's? Oh, that's *definitely* something seriously askew....and I know a great many people besides myself who were disappointed in the lack of a light show this year, as well. Yet all the same....I think I feel safe in saying that this New Year's....was decent and enjoyable enough unto itself. Now, to see about keeping those resolutions.... :D

Dawn.

11. Saber_Caddy

Saber_Caddy Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    Y'know, I think the general lack of ANY public display this year really killed interest in New Years for a lot of people. I know that many of my friends who have always had meticulously planned New Years celebrations just didn't seem to care this year and ended up hashing together a reportedly terrible party at the last minute (which I thankfully did not attend as I was watching James Bond). Another entire peer group juat decided to stay home and catch up on sleep, while I know a couple of usually hopping party animals who just did their LAUNDRY.

The fireworks and other socially planned holiday events, in my mind, act as catylists for New Years. They instill the feeling that something's going on in the community and talk of them raises people's social energy to a point where they are willing to put the extra effort into planning something fun for themselves and their friends.

That's my impression anyways. . . I think we need more public occasions where you have a lot of high-energy people hyped about the same thing in one place at one time. . . that kinda thing is good for everybody, and it's also what I love about things like rock concerts and opening night movie showings. The energy stays even after the event, and makes the occasion better for everybody. . .

. . .and that's why we need back our fireworks :).

12. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    ;) I hear ya, there.

Y'know, I'm sure someone told me once, but I've long since forgotten. Whatever happened to that New Year's celebration we used to haev in Victoria, "First Night"?

I never attended one myself, and I know one year it was postponed due to the blizzard we had back in `96, but I'm told they used to have a huge alcohol-free street party downtown, with great entertainers, music and festivities, all for only about $10 per person. What happened? Did the organizers run out of money? Lose popularity?

Just curious...

- Rani

13. Sionnach_Dearg

Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    Well, since I'm back now...I spent new years up on the island as planned, and got fairly well-soused with some of my cousins. Played a game which, in our group, would be truly deadly. It's called "Never never have I ever" If you've ever heard of it you'll know how bad of an idea it wold be for us....or good, depending on how much you REALLY want to know about everyone...

anyway, it was a good time. Wish some of you could have been there, but maybe another time...after all, it's there all year round...and warmer at other times of year too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.