JCC What are you giving up for Lent?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Sounds like a competition. I'm more jesusy than you!
  2. Mustafar_66 Jedi Master

star 5
    Gave that up years ago.
  3. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I don't see how giving up something for 40 days makes you closer to God/however that works. Then again, I've got a list of problems with Christianity. :p

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.
  4. Mustafar_66 Jedi Master

star 5
    My beef with the whole thing isn't the religious guys doing it, it's the people who've zero interest in Christianity up to that point giving stuff up for Lent. Why? What's the point? If you feel you need to give something up for forty days without a religious imperative, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place?
  5. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Meat
    Dairy and Eggs
    Fish with a spine ('cept on Palm Sunday and the Solemnity of the Annunciation)
    Olive oil and wine ('cept on weekends)

Positive? I haven't decided yet. I will probably be serving in the Divine Liturgy of the Pre-sanctified Gifts every Friday. I would try Daily Mass but don't think I have time. I am also trying to increase the amount of daily prayer I do.
  6. Whitey Jedi Master

star 6
  7. wannasee Jedi Master

star 4
    I gave up television for lent in 2003.

I missed the iraq war and the recovery of Elizabeth Smart.

This year I will give up nothing.
  8. AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master

star 6
    I'm giving up drinking any beverages out of disposable containers. So I'll probably end up carrying around some thermoses and reusable plastic tumblers in my purse to make sure if I stop at a fast food place or coffee shop or whatever I have something to put my drink in.
  9. Darth_Maestro Jedi Master

star 4
    I would imagine many faithful would if allowed. [face_laugh]

I'll just post the wikipedia article to answer someone's earlier inquiry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharistic_adoration

It's not really a new thing either, it's been arounbd since very early in the Church History.
  10. Marold Jedi Knight

star 6
    I keep trying this year after year but for some reason I can't seem to kick the habit.

Sex with random strangers
  11. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    So, basically no drinks purchased from the supermarket, no coffee or tea or milk at home, no alcohol purchases, except from bars...?
  12. yankee8255 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    This from a guy who steals his nephew's tricycle with a cigarette dangling from his lip.
  13. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Borrowing isn't the same as stealing.

:p

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.
  14. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight

star 8
    You should do that permanently, on general principle. :p
  15. AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master

star 6
    Erm, no? I drink coffee and tea at home out of mugs? As for purchasing things from the supermarket or liquor store, I'm not counting the big jug or bottle that beverages come in as a drinking container - I never drink straight from the jug - but I must pour them into something non-disposable. Anyhow I recycle all of my large milk and juice bottles.

The idea is to drastically reduce the amount of waste I create, not to manufacture some convoluted set of rules that I must follow to absurd conclusions. :)
  16. Darth Morella Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, you could always buy a cow. :p
  17. Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Knight

star 6
    [image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XYiLrMURRG0/TKYF3_QRStI/AAAAAAAACoA/pX81MUHTZ2I/s1600/PBR.jpg]

Blasphemy!

18. Souderwan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    WTF? Isn't there some rule, instruction, or commandment of some kind that strictly prohibits this kind of thing?
  19. AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master

star 6
    No, because by Catholic doctrine the Eucharist is literally, not symbolically, the flesh of Christ. It's not idolatry because you're worshiping God Himself in the form of the Eucharist.
  20. Jabba-wocky Force Ghost

star 8
    The Second Commandment?

EDIT: I see. Grah, too long before hitting reply.
  21. Souderwan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh...that's right. I remember that now. Has anyone mentioned that this is verifiably false?

But since we're on the subject, I have been wondering about the whole idolatry thing when it comes to saints and stuff--especially Mary. How is praying to a Saint not a no-no?
  22. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    The tea bags & coffee beans you purchase to make at home comes in disposable containers, that was my point. Where are you drawing the line. Now I know. Though I'm struggling to understand why you don't recycle aluminum soda cans, glass drink bottles or paper cups (paper cups, lol). But hey, we wouldn't want a convoluted set of rules to be followed for Lent.
  23. Jabba-wocky Force Ghost

star 8
    The explanation seems sort of dubious to me, too, but since this is a Lent celebration thread, I'm not sure this is the place for it (unless everyone wants to?).

As for saints, as I've had it explained to me that they are merely asking for another's help in praying about an issue, and that it functionally shouldn't be considered any different than asking for a living person to pray with you about something.
  24. AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master

star 6
    lol
  25. Souderwan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    lol.

Ahh...so the rationalization is that you're praying with the Saints, not to them? Sure. I guess that makes sense.

For the Catholics in the group, is that accurate?

Edit: lol