main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What are you giving up for Lent?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Feb 22, 2012.

1. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I drink either looseleaf tea (which comes in a recyclable tin or pouch), tea made from the mint in my backyard, or tea from the Republic of Tea, whose teabags are compostable. I either get coffee in a reusable tin in bulk from the supermarket or again in recyclable pouches.

I rarely drink out of aluminum soda cans, but I do recycle those and glass and plastic drink bottles, still not using them in the first place is preferable IMO to recycling them. Does that assuage your concerns at all?

I just don't understand why you're getting so riled up about my decision to reduce waste for a few weeks.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I will sleep easier tonight.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why is everyone "lol"-ing?

4. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Good JP, wouldn't want you worrying about that any more than was absolutely necessary.

I loled because Noundy is trying to derail the thread and bait people (specifically you and me, neither of whom believe in Catholic doctrine) into defending Catholicism so he can argue with them. Why the Senate religion threads aren't enough for him, I can't imagine, but, you know, people in the armed forces.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Riled up? Not me, just found it a pretty strange thing to give up. Your explanation is satisfactory.

edit: lol

6. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    You're such a cynic, Dani. Your analysis, while self-satisfying, is wrong. I don't debate religion. I may on rare occasion mock a particular practice, but debating religion (much like politics) is pretty self-defeating.

As for why I was lol'ing, Jabba, it was because this thread's topic is "What are you giving up for Lent?" and the OP's response was "Catholicism ". I don't think it was intended as a celebration of lent. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

7. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    I just noticed a couple of years ago that the amount of disposable cups I use between my morning coffee and eating takeaway and drinking at social functions was pretty astonishing so I thought Lent would be a good opportunity to reduce it. I tried it last year too and didn't make it the whole way through, but it did make me a lot better about remembering to bring a thermos to Starbucks or whatever, maybe this year I'll do a little better and pick up some more good habits.

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    This thread is meant for mocking Catholics and lent. Please stop having discussions!

9. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
  10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Personally, I think the act of giving up something self-serving for a period of time, to remember that you're grateful for other things in life, is a good thing for anyone in general.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    flid.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    LOL

Fair enough. Though I think it's a testament to the posters that I had forgotten that fact. Between things like Maestro's list and Whitey's announcement he would be celibate, I think there were enough earnest responses that the thread was positively derailed into a celebration.

Also, unrelated, but what on Earth is a Souderwan?

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'll take the bait since I can't help myself.

Yes. You're not praying to worship the Saints or Mary but you are asking them to pray for you.

I mean look at Msry's prayer the "Hail Mary":

Hail Mary, full of grace
    The Lord is with thee
    Blessed are though amongst women
    Blessed is the fruit of they womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, mother of God.
    Pray for us sinners,
    now and at the hour of our death.

The whole point it to get her to pray for us.

14. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    1) You read that wrong, and
    2) Don't you know Whitey better than that anyway?

15. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i'm giving up giving in

16. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Fair enough. Thanks for that. This kind of thing raises all kinds of theological questions, I think, but that's ok. To each her own.

17. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Feel free to PM me if you'd like to have a conversation about this. I worked in a program for people coming into the Church who mostly had these same questions so I am quite knowledgeable about this topic.

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Mary was only a virgin if you don't count anal.

19. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i'm going to stop saying lol when i'm not in fact laughing out loud.
    *oh crap i said it and i'm not laughing out loud*

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/v4kKkl.jpg]

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

A person can be grateful without having to do that.

I'm sorry, beer in a can has a different taste to it (no matter the brand) than what's found in a bottle or on tap. That isn't a good thing.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

22. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'm giving up high-fiving Spanish conquistadors.

Two years ago I gave up the Internet for Lent, aside from absolutely essential school-related tasks. I thought I would be more focused. I just ended up playing a ****load of solitaire.

Maybe computers altogether next year?

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    lololol

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    You do realize that the points you're making (Eucharistic host actually Christ's body, adoration of Saints) are fundamental cornerstones of the split between Protestants (eg Luther) and Roman Catholicism, right? Heck why do we give gifts at Christmas? The practice was originally in celebration of the feat of St. Nicolas on December 6. Luther found it inappropriate that the feast had become so popular that it overshadowed the celebration of Christ's birth a few weeks later, so he essentially moved that tradition to have the "Christchild" (Christkind) deliver gifts at Christmas.

25. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Yes, I realize that.

I also want to discuss this holy trinity thing, but then I'd get all of Christendom descending on me.