main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are you hoping to see in "The Approaching Storm"?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Oscar_the_Gungan, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I'm really exciting about the prospects of getting my hands on the first Episode II era story which comes out at the end of the month.

One of the main reasons is because the Episode I prequel novel "Cloak of Deception" shed so much light on what type of situation the galaxy was in, it made TPM make a lot more sense. I remember wishing the book had come out before the movie did.

This time around we can enter the theater in May with some pretty good background information.
    I'm curious as t what kind of information everyone is hoping to get out of this new book.

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    This one should be good cuz it takes place immediately before AotC, I believe. Im sure we'll get at least a foreshadowing of Anakin's descension into darkness, which should be really cool.

But, truth be told, I am looking forward to Dark Journey alot more considering the most recent events in the NJO. Good thing they both come out on Jan. 29 !

3. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    Yeah, two star wars books coming out at once! yahoo! i don't think i'll be able to stop myself reading dark journey, even though i haven't read sbs yet (and won't till it comes out in pb).

4. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm looking forward to seeing how Anakin interacts with other Jedi. In EPII, he won't be with any Jedi for more than a handful of scenes. And obi-wan interacting with others at that age.

In the background, how Palpy is doing in his bid for the take-over of the ages.
    The JC, and how much they trust in the SC. And the overall health of the Republic.

5. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    I can't decide what I'm going to read first. I may read a few chapters in one they go back and forth.
    It would be hard not to read Dark Journey first because of the way SbS ended on the other hand the description of it sounds like a side story rather than a major continuation. Still i'm interested to see what happens to Jaina.
    On the other reading about events which could be the genesis of the Clone Wars is something that will be hard to shelf.
    I have a feeling nobody is going to see for a week after they come out.

6. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Does anyone think Count Dooku will be mentioned?

7. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I can't wait for this book! I'd better hurry up with the one I'm on, so I'll be ready to start TAS the day it comes out. (I don't like reading 2 books at once.)

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345443004.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

Star Wars: The Approaching Storm
    by Alan Dean Foster
    In the years since the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, the Republic has continued to crumble, and more and more, the Jedi are needed to help the galactic government maintain order. As Star Wars: Episode II opens, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker have just returned from a mission on a world called Ansion. Written by beloved Star Wars veteran Alan Dean Foster, and starring a new character from the upcoming movie, The Approaching Storm tells the story of that daring mission.

The Republic is decaying, even under the leadership of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, who was elected to save the galaxy from collapsing under the forces of discontent. On the tiny but strategic planet of Ansion, a powerful faction is on the verge of joining the growing secessionist movement. The urban dwellers wish to expand into the prairies outside their cities?the ancestral territory of the fierce, independent Ansion nomads. If their demands are not met, they will secede?an act that could jump-start a chain reaction of withdrawal and rebellion by other worlds of the Republic.

At the Chancellor?s request, the Jedi Council sends two Jedi Knights, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luminara Unduli, to resolve the conflict and negotiate with the elusive nomads. Undaunted, Obi-Wan and Luminara, along with their Padawans Anakin Skywalker and Barriss Offee, set out across the wilderness. Many perils lie waiting to trap them. The Jedi will have to fulfill near-impossible tasks, befriend wary strangers, and influence two great armies to complete their quest, stalked all the while by an enemy sworn to see the negotiations collapse and the mission fail . . .

I'm not really hoping to see much. Really all I'm expecting from this is some good action, and to get to know the characters we'll be presented with in Episode II.

9. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm hoping for a really good portrayal of Obi-Wan. ::desperately::I want one freaking Star Wars book to actually have a good, well-rounded, in-character, focused portrayal of him.

Rogue Planet caught none of his sense of humor. In Cloak of Deception he was a bimbo(he has more brains as a 13 year old in the JA series). In said Jedi Apprentice series he's managed to completely take a back seat to the author's personal obsession with Qui-Gon Jinn and in Jedi Quest, by the same author, she managed to make him almost completely extraneous to the plot while still somehow managing to credit the few positive contributions he is permitted to make to the 4 years dead Qui-Gon Jinn. :D

I am dearly hoping Foster has somehow, someway escaped this curse of Star Wars authors who seem to have an almost total inability to do the character any kind of justice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.