main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA What are you listening too right now?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Aaron-Wan-Kenobi, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Rion, if you're in need for some good Brit-rock, you should really give The Jam a listen if you haven't yet...I've just started getting into them after they've been on VH1 Classic 24-7. Yeah, they're pretty good. Kinda working-class, not too punk, little 1st-gen ska thrown in, and alot of American soul influence. Good, wholesome take-the-tube-to-the-local-pub-for-a-pint rock music.

Right now, I'm listening to Mike Ness: Under the Influences, as well as some King Diamond/Mercyful Fate.

And since this kind of relates to music, yes, I watched the MTV Video Music Awards. Anyone want to fight me over it? Yeah, I just wanted to see what the kids pass for music nowadays.

It was a pitiful display.

Jack Black brought the thunder like always as host...the typical riffing on a popular movie bit was sacrificed for a semi-funny musical number. Then The Raconteurs performed, I couldn't believe it. What crap. I swear, they sounded like a band practicing for when they actually perform. Jack White can go OD already, I'm so sick of this kind of music...Then Lou Reed plays with them...on MTV? I challenge anyone in the audience at the VMAs, musician or otherwise, to even know who that guy was, other than what looked like a bad Boris Karloff impersonator. Uh.

Then, Wyclef Jean (who I respect as an artist) performed with Shakira...Oh, Shakira....she did some dance number to Hips Don't Lie dressed all Belly-Dancer/Bollywood...Man, that gave me teh stiffie...toned abs, just smoking hot. I loved her. Rewound on the TiVo and watched it again. And not a bad song, either.

HB got props when our boys Avenged Sevenfold received the Best New Artist award. It's about time we start recognizing metal music...how many "100 top metal songs/bands/albums/frontmen TV anthology shows are we going to have to endure before the radio DJs take the hint and start actually playing metal music? Jesus, it's what the people want, already, but no...the advertisers want us to keep requesting Panic! At the Disco and All American Rejects. I would have thought those kids were girls...get haircuts, already.

A bunch of hip hop artists that all sound the same got honored. It's not hip-hop I have a problem with...It's just that it's literally all the same, with no regard for actual talent. These new artists all just chant gutteral, barely intelligible, illiterate-speak about all the cash money and hoes they run. Just tacky. Let's get more performers like Common to represent the genre with some brains. However, I was particularly impressed with a performance by Busta Rhymes. I've actually seen him perform live. If that guy isn't the most entertaining man in hip-hop for my dollar, I don't know who else is.

I was a little sad for Christina Aguilera. She got snubbed an award for literally every category she was nominated for. I mean, let's face it. Like her or not, the girl has a set of pipes. Her new single is freaking good. Really good. Bitchin' video to go along with it, and now that Britney Spears has become her own redneck joke, Ms. Aguilera now has no competition for the top spot of young, female vocalists. It's just that MTV refused to admit it in any way, passing her up over and over again. Just mean.

The evening culminated with a performance by the newly reunited Tenacious D! The D reigned supreme, as expected, perfect closer for the evening.

All in all, music is in a nosedive with no hope of recovery. There are no new artists on the horizon that will bring the media out of this hole it is perpetually digging itself into. I am constantly unearthing older albums by existing artists...all the new stuff is absolutely terrible, and this program cemented that fact. That's about it from me, I'm going to go cry in my beer and not listen to some tunes. Too sad.

2. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    It's Brit Rock not Brit Pop, Brit Pop was the Spice Girls and all them sorts. Link on my profile to my youtube, you'll find more brit rock in there!

Yeah, the VMA's were woeful as usual. OK GO's remake on stage of their video was class. the D were the highlight. Lou Reed is a legend that none of those so called bands are even aware of.

When did Rock music become about how your dress and no about saying something with your music. Those acts not only look exactly the same, they all sound the same too.

And what the heck was up with "Ringtone of the Year", pathetic award!

The Arctic Monkeys were right "There's only music so that there's new ringtones"

3. Enforcer_Draconus

Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    hehe i know ist Brit Rock Stuart i was just kidding =P

yea the VMA's have gone down hill alot.... AFI and the Racontoures were like the only people in the whole place who knew who Lou Reed and Billy Gibb are lol

4. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
  5. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    Anthony, the fact that Avenged Sevenfold got best new artist is funny being as they have been around for years. I saw them when they were really new. As for Lou Reed with the White Stripes, I though he never once gave it away. That everybody had to pay and pay. Yeah I know the Velvet Underground. They were George McFly's band.

I am listening to The Leftrights.

6. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    Oh, I knew they've been around for a while. I worked in an office back in 2000-2001 where a guy I knew was one of their promoters. That's how I even heard of A7X...he hooked me up with alot of their demo CDs, and an early version of their new album Sounding the 7th Trumpet. I think they won best new artist on account that City of Evil is really their 1st mainstream album.

7. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Dang it, I watched Celebrity Duets again!

Hello. My name is AboutaSith and I have a problem. I'm addicted to trash tv. Please help me.

Now for the beat box parrot

8. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Dec 8, 2002
    I am listening to erykah badu.

9. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
  10. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    "I want candy. Bubble gum and taffy. Skip to the sweet shop with my sweetheart Sandy. Got my penny saved 'cuz I'm her sugar daddy. I'm her Huhm Cronyn, she's my Jessica Tandy. I want candy!"

Ha.

...So, does anyone think the Red Hot Chili Peppers just aren't even trying anymore? They used to be really, really good. It won't be long until they put out a cover album. Of their own songs.

11. LizardJedi

LizardJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    And it will be #1 on the charts.

I really liked Californication. Everything after that... not so much.

12. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    why is every song about california?

13. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers

"Red Hot Chili Peppers are a California-based rock band, formed in Los Angeles in 1983." So maybe that's why so many of their songs are about California.

Their songs also have a lot of political themes. Californication is specifically a protest song about globalization.

14. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I find songs like that funny cos they sell them globally to make money for themselves.

15. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Dec 8, 2002
    What they got they want to give it to your momma.

16. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    I'm still listening to the ringing in my ears from the Nitzer Ebb show Wed. night at House of Blues Anaheim. A deaf person could have gone to this show, and still had a great time. Pounding, bass beats you could feel in your chest the entire night. Great set, glad the band is back after such a long time.

[image=http://www.nitzer-ebb.de/ebbdotcom/photogallery/gothenburg/021_sama.jpg]

Yes, between this, VNV Nation and KMFDM shows next month, it's high time for me to start stomping to some good-'ol industrial music again.

17. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    Rick James - Give it to me baby

18. LizardJedi

LizardJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    I just got back from a Mozart concert. Can remember the last time I thought to myself "I'd rathar be studying for my test tomorrow"
    It was for the opening of the new concert hall thing at the Preforming Arts Center. Yeah, toatally not my style.

The one funny part is that they were serving Red Bull.
    Get it... Red Bull is imported from Austria... where Mozart was from... yeah. Thats the only time they'll sponser classical music :p

As for right this second.... Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

19. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    random Disneyland music. Makes monday mornings slightly more enjoyable

20. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    Greenskeepers-Lotion

21. falcon_prime

falcon_prime Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    The hum of my computer.

And soon... Star Trek TNG

22. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Dec 8, 2002
    In the car I have Elvis Costello.

23. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    dude search You tube for greenskeepers they rule!!!!11!!!!one!!!!! metal

24. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    Killing Joke: Hosannas From The Basements of Hell

Oh.

My.

God.

A friend hooked me up with a copy of the new Killing Joke album: Hosannas from the Basements of Hell.

It is unbelieveable. Probably the best album I have heard in many years. Amazing production value, growling vocals, just a sound the likes of which I have not heard before. Check out the samples from the link I posted. Then go grab this album. I'm dead serious.

25. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    Dschinghis Kahn - Kazachek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.