main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are you reading now ? ( Version 4.20 )

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DVader316, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Well, I coulldnt find the old thread so I figured Id start a new one. I'll start it off :

Im currently reading Prisoner's Hope by David Feintuch. It is the third of seven books called The Seafort Saga, kind of a future, sci fi version of Horatio Hornblower. I definietly recommend it.

Up next : Blade of Tyshalle.

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Shadows of the Empire
    Day of the Beast - A Call of Cthulhu campaign adventure that I plan to run

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    DUDE! Feintuch's Seafort Saga is the best ****ing series ever written! I still gotta get my hands on the newest, Children of Hope. That's on top of my list for what's next (currently reading The Demon Apostle by Salvatore). Check out his website at nickseafort.com. It's still under construction, but they got a forum started and Feintuch himself is one of the admins (I'm the first person to register :D )

EDIT: hmmm, you like starting version 4:20 of things, don't you? ;)

4. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Youve read these books, too, w_k ? Rock ! Ive bought all of them already, and Children is well over 600 pages. Thanks for the heads up on the site, Im definitely going to check it out ! :D

Oh, and about 4:20...you'd be surprised how few people caught on to it when I used in my CD thread over at JCC. :) ;)

5. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Yeah, I'd have gotten Children already, but things like rent and food were a bit more important :(

Oh, and NOBODY gets higher than RVD! ;)

EDIT: I bought Midshipman one day in July 1997 or 98. Bought Challenger before I even finished it, and had all the way up to Voices bought by the end of the next week (Patriarch wasn't out yet, and when I heard about it I marked out like a Jerichoholic!). I'm planning on re-reading the first 6 before I read Children because it's been a couple of years since I read them. Oh, and your totally right about the Hornblower connection. In fact, the books were originally supposed to be Nepoleonic-era, but Feintuch didn't know anything about ships, so he put it in space where he could just make up everything :D

6. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Ahh, very cool info, dude ! I just happened to stumble upon Midshipman's Hope a few weeks ago when I decided to venture to b & N and see if they had RS early. They didn't, but Hope caught my eye and since I had the money I picked it up. I raced through it in like three days and immediately picked up Challenger's Hope, and even though it was very dark and very sad, (Poor Nick, I feel so bad for this guy! :( ) I loved it and ran out and picked up the rest. Ive only just started Prisoner..., but so far its just as good as the others. :D

7. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Well, I coulldnt find the old thread so I figured Id start a new one.

Worst excuse ever. [cough]Lit index[/cough]

8. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Meh :p :D

If you feel sad for Nick now, get out the kleenex dude.

9. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Oh boy. I was hoping you wouldnt say that. :(

Star Wars this aint, thats for damn sure...

10. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

DVader316

you'd be surprised how few people caught on to it when I used in my CD thread over at JCC.

I saw it and even posted in it. When I saw the 4.20, I knew it was you. 8-}

11. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Nope, but that's not necessarily a bad thing ;)

Nick Seafort is my all time favorite fictional character. And Feintuch's way of telling a story, especially in first person, is amazing. Hell, I'm man enough to admit that I teared up quite a few times, especially for Nate :(

12. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Yup. I felt terrible for Nate, even thought kind of had a feeling something bad would happen to him, although I was surprised it happened when he was an infant. If you notice, alot of characters' first born sons' die in these sci fi series. Paul Muad'dib's first son Leto from Dune comes to mind. And even though I didnt really care for Amanda (I felt that Feintuch rushed the wedding considering their tumultous courtship) I was still very upset when she met her fate.

13. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    As my signature says, I just started reading Han Solo's Revenge yesterday. After that, I'm moving on to the last Han Solo book by Brian Daley.

14. Jedi_Strike

Jedi_Strike Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    'Area 7' by Matthew Reilly.
    Really cool book so far.

15. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Armor by John Steakley. I'm about 50 pages in and its really great writting. Even though its third person he acts like he is Felix, writting in a panic when Felix is in a panic, and stuff like that. Its real fun, even if it ripped off Starship Troopers. That novel was the intelectual side of war, this is the emotional side. It's really cool so far and I'm glad Mastadge recommended it.

Up next is Heroes Die, whenever Zshops desided to freakin' ship it.

16. virtualoctopus

virtualoctopus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    Rebel Stand - my search is over! I found it in a bookshop today!

17. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    When I don't read SW, I like to read classic literature. I am currently trying to read some classic Sci-Fi. I have read Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde and am currently reading War of the Worlds. I have The Island of Dr. Moroue but have not read it yet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

18. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Rebel Stand.

19. Crazy_Vasey

Crazy_Vasey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    The Seafort saga was excellent! I haven't read it in ages might pay a visit to library to get me hands on it again.

20. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Just finished Ender's Game, I'll start on the Bear and the Dragon sometime this week. And of course, Traitor as soon as it comes out.

21. Jedi_Strike

Jedi_Strike Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    I wish I could read Rebel Stand, but I live in Germany and import is really slooooooooooow... :_|

22. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    That's rough Jedi_Strike. :(

23. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    The Sum of All Fears.

24. Zarin

Zarin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 23, 2002
    I'm currently reading the Champions of the Force. The Episode 1 novelization is waiting to be next :)

25. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    I'm reading Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy and The Fourth Protocol by Frederick Forsyth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.