main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by junio, Jan 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, peeps, I finished Bodas de sangre last night, and started reading The Hobbit.

I am in chapter 2 right now.

2. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    I'm still reading Rainbow Six, I'm going kinda slow though.

3. Joyoda

Joyoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 1999
    Just finished reading Left Behind #8 The Mark and Re-reading I,Jedi. Currently taking a break while awaiting Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils from Half.com.

Rogue1-and-a-half, Did you like The Prophet? I read it once and started it a second time but never finished it. It was decent but I found it lacking compared to his other books.....Just curious :)

4. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    I'm reading Stephen King's The Stand.

5. Wraith1

Wraith1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1999
    I'm reading the Angel series of books. It is based on the television series. Will pick up shadow hunter. Also will be reading Buffy series.

6. Jagged_Fel

Jagged_Fel Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2000
    I just finished The Wheel of Time #9: Winter's Heart. I thought it was much better than Path of Daggers and a good read. Much more action and surprises. I loved the ending. Can't wait until 1.5 years until another is released. Some may consider 600+ pages a lot, but book 6 was 1000+ pages, so this one was nice and "short." It's funny when people think you're are carrying a dictionary though.

I am currently reading the Lando Adventures and am on the Flamewind of Oseon. Plan on finishing it up just before DeMoliSH. Then on to Han Advnetures & SotME (since he's writing a new one soon). I might take a break with the Dune books (just got Dune last week) and then read BFC tril, New Rebellion, and Corellian tril. By then I hope Conquest will be out.

7. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Just finished at heart of midnight(creepy Ravenloft book) I think I'm gonna read Book of lost tales part2.

8. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Shadow Hunter.

9. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    Has anyone ever read any of this 2 books:

Farenheit 451

The Last Ship

???

I saw part of the movie of Farenheit, and would like to read the book.

Well, has anyone? I'm interested in them, but I'm not sure...

Rebecca, you already got it? Shadow Hunter??

10. solostar2043

solostar2043 Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2000
    I just finished "The Black Queen", and "The Black King",..a Fey Fantasy by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (she has also written a Star Wars EU book or two). Right now, I`m reading "The Dragon at Lyonesse",a DragonKnight story by Dave Duncan. I WANTED to read "Balance Point",...but, Alas, it would seem that I shall have to avoid it like the Plague, after hearing about the dismal way that they are progressing with Han and Leia. I had to do the same thing when I "heard" that they had murdered Chewbacca in Vector Prime ! For 23 years, I have been the first in line to read ANY Star Wars novel...from the very first unpretentious little book by an "unknown" writer named George Lucas, called "Star Wars". Unfortunately, I no longer have that pleasure...because every new book seems to take us places that we would rather not go ! Are you listening George ????? Stop trying to make it so " Real-Lifey" for us. We already have that....and that is not what we have loved Star Wars for, over the years !!! If the new authors want to "experiment" with the Star Wars characters, then let them write about Corran Horn, or the Solo children,...whatever, but someone out there ought to be able to write a book for those of us who take great Hope and Satisfaction from the stories of Han and Leia, Chewie...AS we know them.....Solostar out.

11. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I'm currently reading 1984 by George Orwell for school, and after that I'll be reading Fahrenheit 451, also for school.

Out of school, I'll probably be reading Shadow Hunter soon. I also plan on reading Speaker For The Dead by Orson Scott Card relatively soon as I recently finished Ender's Game.

12. Dralthi5

Dralthi5 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2001
    I'm currently reading North and South by John Jakes, but I just finished Down to the Sea, the new Lost Regiment novel by William R. Forstchen.

In the future I plan to read Down to Earth, Harry Turtledove's new Colonization paperback, then Herman Wouk's War and Remembrance. After that, the Fellowship of the Ring, Han Solo Adventures, etc.

13. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Yeah, I got it yesterday. I'm on page 36.

14. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Well, since you asked . . .

15. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I'm currently rereading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I don't care what anyone says they are very good. I'm also reading the first Han Solo Adventrues, Wraith Squadron and the Histroy of Joseph Smith by his Mother. I don't know when I will be able to read Shadow Hunter I have to decide on weither I should put gas in the car or buy a new book.

I think I found a book for my book club. None of my friends have read the 451 book yet and I've wanted to read it for sometime along with 1984. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a book for my friends book club?

16. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Norton Anthology of American Literature and Longman Anthology of British Literature. For school. Not too exciting, but they're OK.

17. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    So I guess I shall read them. I will. After I get out of the bunch of books that I am reading for my own pleasure and for school. After I read all the books I have in my bookcase... Then I will try Farenheit 451 and The Last Ship. I am also interested in reading The Dig. And I can't wait to start reading the Left Behind series!!!

18. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    That Norton anthology has some awesome stuff in it. :)

I'm in the middle of "The Silent Blade" by R. A. Salvatore at the moment.

19. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I'm re-reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. These books are the most hilarious sci-fi comedy ever. Anyone who has not read them should.

20. Casta

Casta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2000
    A Concise History of Warfare, by Lord Montgomery. I just bought it today for $12.99. And about a week ago, I also purchased Liddell Hart's biography on General Sherman. If I never cease to do this, I shall be soon bankrupt. My room is flooding with military books.

I'm also continuing on with The English Patient and Polybius' Rise of the Roman Empire.

The English Patient is...ravishing..beautifully moving. It is enshrouded in a spellbinding mood of pathos. It is poignantly touching in a sublime manner. Its remoteness in both time and space strangely appeals greatly to one's longing for that kind of distance. One should really read the book before watching the movie.

21. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I recomend reading Lucasfilm's Alien Chronicles if you haven't already. They are a bit slow at the begining but soon you can't put it down. I thought the ending was very good as well. I also recomend Stackpoles Realm of Chaos series, A Hero Born and An Enemy Reborn. I don't suggest the sequal but it's still a good read.

22. OwenLars

OwenLars Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2000
    Knight Hammer...
    "has anyone read the two Shadow books by Orson Scott Card? are they good?"

I'm on page 200 or so of Ender's Shadow and it is as good as Game, Bean is super cool!

23. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    At the moment I'm in the middle of book 3 of David Eddings' Malloreon and about 1/4 thru Harry Turtledove's "The Guns of the South" This is the first Turtledove I've read, pretty good so far.
    Recently I finished Zahn's Conquerors trilogy. At the risk of sounding like a 12 year old fanboy (or girl, in my case) AWESOME! KWEL! Back to being a grown up. These are probably the best real SciFi books I've read in years. The middle book, as Darth-Boba-Fett said, is told from the aliens' POV and Zahn does a masterful job. I really cared about these totally non-humans' personal lives, their hops and fears, loves and hates. In book 3 the POV switches from human to alien quite often, but Zahn's writing style is such that the reader doesn't get literary whiplash from the quick changes. It's a wonderful book, not as technical as many "hard SciFi" books, really not as technical as the X-Wing books. I recommend it whole heartedly for everyone.

Other SciFi/fantasy that I've recently read include Harry Potter 1,2 & 3. Some juvenile Heinlien, and Kathy Tyres" Crown of Fire. KT's Firebird series is great. I love see what SW authors can do when writing in their own worlds, outside of LFL/GL's somewhat restricted universe. The Firebird Books, the Conquerors books, and Stackpoles "Talion" should be on every SW fan's "must read" list.

In the non SciFi Fantasy realm, I recently read Elizabeth Peters' "the Murders of Richard III" And Clancy's "The Bear and the Dragon" and "Red Storm Rising". I read "Rainbow Six" last spring, really enjoyed that. I like the Brother Cadfiel mysteries by Elis Peters but I've read all the ones my library has, so I haven't read any lately.

24. Qui-Gonn Jinn

Qui-Gonn Jinn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 1999
    Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietsche, this man is a genius. I recommend the book to all. I just finished reading the Encyclopedia of Biblical Errancy. Also a great book. Next up is Walden and Civil Disobedience, both by Henry David Thoreau.

"You laugh at me cause I'm different, I laugh at you cause your all the same" ;P

25. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    Fellow readers... another question has come to my mind.

Is anyone following the Crown of Stars series? I've heard those are good books. Is anyone reading them?

Also, is the Firebird Trilogy good? I know everyone's been talking about it recently... and there's an offer in the SFBC. A good offer. Are the books good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.