main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by junio, Jan 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Anyone?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Working on a new batch. Jedi Apprentice #12, rereading Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara, and reading Montcalm and Wolfe by Francis Parkman

3. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    Ok... I am gonna have to ask again... I really want to know:

Is anyone following the Crown of Stars series? I've heard those are good books. Is anyone reading them?

Also, is the Firebird Trilogy good? I know everyone's been talking about it recently... and there's an offer in the SFBC. A good offer. Are the books good?

4. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    I'm reading the Iliad, for school. It's okay, but it goes on and on.

5. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    The Iliad rocks!!! I love the story. Homer was a genius... Man, what a mind!

6. Austin_Solo

Austin_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2000
    Anyone who hasn't read Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon are missing some of the greatest literature out there!

7. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    This post.

But I'm also in the middle of The Bacta War for the third time.

8. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    i've started some Jules Verne, the father of science fiction. Actually, he's quite good for classics.

9. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Siddhartha recently came into my possession. I am about halfway through with it and I am enjoying it very much. There is alot of truth in this book.

10. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    Wylding I remeber some people I used to work with and they had to read that for school. It was funny with both peoples personalities how they liked and hated the book. One girl couldnot see how it fit into their lives now, she didn't have much of an imagination anyway. She was to girly for anyones tastes. The other person could really relate to it and loved the book. I guess it's one of those books that changes with you life style. He also thought sophmores should read Lord of the Flies because they were too young for the horror in it. Please I was reading books far worse then that when I was 12.

11. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    Junio: The Firebird books are WONDERFUL! Action, suspense, action,romance (but not overpoweringly romantic, so don't worry, it's not Danelle Steele in Space),intr1gue, action, political commentary, action......

12. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I want to read "Postcards from the Edge" but I can never find it anywhere.

13. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    Hey, Dewlanna Solo, thanx a lot for the commentaries... I think I will try them some day after I read everything I have right now.

14. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    The Firebird series is quite good.

And I also agree with those who have mentioned the Ender series. Those books are amazing!

15. Jedi_Master_Thrawn

Jedi_Master_Thrawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2000
    Right now I'm reading "I, Jedi" for the..... fith time. what can I say, I love that book!

16. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2000
    I'm reading a book about the Battle of Britain for a research paper right now. After that, I'll probably resume reading Tides of War by Steven Pressfield. It's about the Peloponnesian War (ancient Greece).

17. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    Interesting, Yoda. Is it a series of fiction about the real history, or an actual historical facts book?

18. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    I'm now on to "The Spine of the World" by R. A. Salvatore.

19. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    Matara,

I can understand how at a young age someone wouldn't really understand or care to take the time to read it. However, it is a relatively easy read and pretty short as well, so I don't really see the harm. Did you read it? And if so, what did you think?

I plan to read The Lord of the Rings again before the winter ends. I really think they are great books to read during the cold winter months. Their "feel" really seems to go well with winter :)

20. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Evermeet by Elaine Cunningham

21. Beor

Beor Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2001
    1984 for school. Along with 20,000 leagues under the seas, Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation, and DUNE.

22. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    Dune. Now there is an interesting read :)

23. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    "Dune" was good.

I've now just started "Servant of the Shard" by RAS. After this, I'll have read the entire Dark Elf series almost straight through (quick break for BP...heheh).

24. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    RingoJuna-

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, Turtledove is a very good author. Alternate History really intrests me. Most of Turtledove's books are about major wars that happened a different way. But if you are looking for major action, be warned, his books are centered on his characters and how they live and change, not the accual war. There is quite a lot of action, it is a war, but I find myself enjoying all his great characters.

If you are intrested, I sugest tring Turtledove's best known and arguably best work: The Guns of the South. Its about South African white suprimist from the near future getting ahold of a time machine and going back to the American Civil War. They then provide the Confederacy with AK-47s and other modern day things.

I'm now reading The Great War: Walk in Hell, the second book in The Great War series. I am halfway through Shadow Hunter.

25. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Yaksfan--- 'Postacrds' is an excellent book! I have also read her other 2 novels 'Surrender the Pink' and 'Dellusions of Grandma'. Pink is my fave. of the 3 to be honest. You might check your library and if they don't have it, then see if they can borrow it from another library.

Uhh lets see right now I am reading 'Insomnia' by Stephen King. Only reason I picked it up was cause I heard that he writes about things in his 'Dark Tower' series. BTW if you want to read a series that is part, fantasy, part western and part horror blended into 1. Then definately pick up that series.

Whoever is reading 'The Stand', that is probably 1 of my all time favorite novels.

I'm also reading 'The Shadow Rising' by Robert Jordan. Book 4 in his Wheel of Time series. This series just blows me away. 1st fantasy book let alone series I ever read was this one.

Calli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.