main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by junio, Jan 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    Wedge 88, I'm reading Guns of teh South right now. Very interesting. Any recommendations for which Turtledove to read next?

2. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    The Dark Tower series is awesome. I wonder when the next one is coming out? "Wizard and Glass" came out a couple of years ago, but King finishes the DT books very sporadically.

EDIT: This is from http://www.stephenking.com in response to "When will the next Dark Tower book be out?":

"Stephen suggests you read Hearts in Atlantis (in stores September 1999)--it's not an actual Dark Tower book, but is part of the story. The next actual Dark Tower book has not yet been written and does not have a title, but if all goes well, it should be out in 2001, followed by two more--one in 2002 and the final one in 2003."

I have not read "Hearts in Atlantis"; can anyone comment (sans spoilers, please) on its relationship to The Dark Tower?

BTW, it's pretty clear that the answer was written some time ago. :)

3. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Unfortuanetly, I am a college student, so you name it and I am reading it. Whether it is Gloria Steinem, or Micro Principles of Economics, or Business Administration , or (UGH) Oedipes (in Greek), or one of my favorites (for the second time) Things Fall Apart (love that book). Some how, I find time to squeeze in Isard's Revenge (almost done), Star Fighters of Adumar (the BEST X-Wing novel) Rogue Planet, Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter (just started yesterday), and the Essential Chronology. I am eagirly awaiting Edge of Victory I:Conquest.

4. Keyan_Stele

Keyan_Stele Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2000
    Can't resist....
    I'm reading this thread.
    Muahahhaaaa

5. Duran_Filewn

Duran_Filewn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2001

Right now I am rereading Zahns' Thrawn Trilogy, I just started HttF, I am also reading W.E.B. Griffins series Brotherhood of War.

6. Qui-Gonn Jinn

Qui-Gonn Jinn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 1999
    Are the books still good when you re-read them?

7. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    I'm reading Dune: House Harkonnen. It's pretty good read. KJA and Frank Herbert's son, Brian wrote it together.

8. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    I'm reading Shadow Hunter right now.

9. Jagged_Fel

Jagged_Fel Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2000
    I just finished the Lando Adventures and was glad I had the EC to fill in the blanks. I knew some from the Han trilogy but not enough. All in all, I'd say the Lando books are a good read. I liked Vuffi Raa and wouldn't mind if he returned to EU.

I am reading Shadow Hunter right now. It is good. Much better than I expected.

Next up for me is the Han Adventures and then a small amount of EU to finish it off, then Herbert's Dune, then Conquest.

10. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Ugh, my English teacher wants us to read The Merchant of Venice. That's for March. I have to read a book for my Spanish class for next Tuesday. And I am almost finished with The Hobbit. Great book so far. I still have to finish One Hundrer Years of Solitude for my Spanish class, the test should be in a week or 2. I hate when I have to read lots of books for my school. I think that after The Hobbit I will read the first Harry Potter book.

11. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    Shadow Hunter (finally!)

Shakespeare is cool, junio, though I didn't appreciate him until I was in college. :)

12. InasneChiss

InasneChiss Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2000
    Right now I'm working on "Ride the Wind" and "The Zentraedi Rebellion"

13. Austin_Solo

Austin_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2000
    I just finished the third book of Harry Potter, and am now starting Dune.

14. CJ24

CJ24 Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2000
    High Time to Kill. Its one of the newer James Bond novels

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Timeline by Michael Crichton...awesome book!

16. Rogue Canuck

Rogue Canuck Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2000
    Right now I am reading 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Then I will read 'Darth Maul Shadow Hunter'.

17. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    This thread!

Seriously - re-reading Conquerors' Trilogy by Tim Zahn.

18. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Timeline was great...

19. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    The Source by James Michener. I am only about a hundred pages in. Has anybody else read it?

20. MAD6121

MAD6121 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    I am currently reading Shadow Hunter which is awesome.

21. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I can't say that I have appreciated any of the Shakespeare plays I've read. The stories may be interesting, but he made them boring. And the language, ugh! I read Romeo and Juliet and hated it, read Julius Caesar, and kinda liked it. Now this year I read Macbeth and again, hated it. I hope I get to enjoy The Merchant of Venice, but I won't set up my hopes...

22. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    Like I said, it took me until college to appreciate him. I thought very much the same things you are thinking until then. :)

23. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "Wedge 88, I'm reading Guns of teh South right now. Very interesting. Any recommendations for which Turtledove to read next?"

Hmm, well, that was the first Turtledove book I read as well. I have only read two... I finished The Great War: American Front a few weeks ago and I am starting to get into it's sequal, Walk in Hell. I like the idea of the CSA still being in existance, so the World War and Civilazation series, the ones with the aliens, don't really intrest me right now. Plus, I have always enjoyed fiction about WWI more than WWII.

After Guns of the South read either The Great War series or the World War/Civilazation series. I personaly vouch for The Great War. Enjoy.

"has anyone read the two Shadow books by Orson Scott Card? are they good?"

I have read Ender's Shadow and I am half way through Shadow of the Hegemon. I enjoy them more that I enjoyed the sequels to Ender's Game. They got to preaching and scientific for me, I couldn't really see the story.

24. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I've just finished a series by Sara Douglass called the Wayfarer Redemption, 'Deja Dead' and 'Death du Jour' by Kathy Riechs, all very good books, plus I plan on rereading some of Isaac Asimov's books.

25. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I'm currently reading 1984 by George Orwell and recently finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.