What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by junio, Jan 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'm reading Gone South by Robert McCammon again, and then I'm thinking of rereading his Swan Song.
  2. Amidala Starkiller Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm reading Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice.
  3. Joyoda Jedi Knight

star 1
    Re-reading Ruin thru Balance Point to "refresh" my memory before Conquest comes up.
  4. Casta Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabrie Garcia Marquez, which is an amazing book.

I read it with mixed feelings, not about the book, but about the story itself. It's quite difficult to insulate oneself from the tears and joy of the characters.
  5. darthjarjarbinks Force Ghost

star 4
    I really should do what joyada is doing. I just did my HSC last year (for those who don't live in australia, which is a lot, thats the final set of exams in your final year of high school) and as I read a lot of those books DURING the exams periods or when studying (stupid I know, but I am weak :) )I've just realised I've forgotten a lot of stuff. There's massive gaps in my memory of these books. I have never experienced this before, and Its quite worrying. I assume its info-overload.

RIght now, however, I'm reading the xwing series again. I'm up to isards revenge, and corran just got taken out by a chip missile.
  6. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I also tend to forget large amounts of books that I have read. I do not think that it is an uncommon problem. I read the Thrawn trilogy about three years ago and all that I can really remember is that I liked the book and I thought Thrawn was cool. I don't worry about it though.
  7. Joyoda Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually, darthjarjarbinks, its Joyoda as in Master Yoda, not "yada" like yada, yada, yada. :)
    Now I see what Valiento is always complaining about! :D
  8. darthjarjarbinks Force Ghost

star 4
    hehe, sorry joyoda. i should pay more attention to names.
  9. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    Currently reading Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. After that comes one of three novels: Be Cool by Elmore Leonard (it's the Get Shorty sequel), The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice, or 1984 by George Orwell. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which I should read next?
  10. Jeremyguy Jedi Master

star 4
    1984 is great. If you're looking for good fantasy, I recommend "The Last Dragonlord" and "Dragon and Phoenix" by Joanne Bertin. "Rhapsody" by Elizabeth Haydon is excellent as well.

I'm a little undecided on what to read, too. I'm looking at either Salvatore's "Echoes of the Fourth Magic," Cunningham's "Daughter of the Drow," or Claremont/Lucas' "Shadow War" series (the sequels to "Willow"). I've read the first two "Shadow" books and just got the third. I also plan to pick up Cunningham's "Thornhold," but I just can't decide which of these to dig into next!
  11. TheBiggerFish Force Ghost

star 4
    Books i've read in the last 5 days are:

Shadow of a Dark Queen
    Rise of a Merchant Prince, Both in the SerpentWar saga of Raymond E Feist

Assasin's Apprentice, Robin Hobb, Farseer Trilogy

The Outcast (cant remember author)

I'm starting bk 3 of SerpentWar tomorrow (Rage of a Demon King)

I'm not one to read books twice (except the ones i really loved eg:Zahn's Thrawn ones
    Han Solo trilogy (fave is Hutt Gambit)) So i move on pretty fast. The only SW books i haven't read are those piddly little 'Galaxy of Fear'things, YoungJedi Knights (i'll get around to em eventually) and Splinter of the Mind's eye, but i dont see much point in reading that last one.

Ive heard a lot of people bagging out Young Jedi Knights, is it worth my time and money? or should i just leave it?
  12. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye is great, why would you skip it if you can obviously read pretty fast?
  13. Matara_Healbo Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm reading a book called 'Obsession' by John Douglas. He's an FBI profiler and the book is basicly about how to deal with stalkers. It's pretty good.
  14. junio Jedi Master

star 4
    Vittorio the Vampire was great! I loved it!!
  15. DarthSeti5 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    2061: Odyssey Three. This is the third time I've read it. I love Clarke.
  16. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Cardinal of the Kremlin
    Tom Clancy
  17. Calli Force Ghost

star 4
    Well at the moment I have nothing to read. And I hate that.Well nothing that I haven't already read.

I just finished 'Hannibal' which I loved. Whoever is reading 'The Red Dragon', I think you'll like it. Its very good.

I went to go to my local library and either get 'Hearts in Alantis' by Stephen King or check out Martin like some of you had suggested. Well they didn't have the book by King and they had 1 Martin book which was like in the middle of a series.

Now I could have had them inter-library loan a copy for me, but I don't want to wait a week or so for it to get here. Ok, I'm just ranting now.

Well to bring an end to my tale, I have 2 books I have already read out. 'I,Jedi' by Stackpole and the short story 'Side Trip' by Zahn and Stackpole. Hehehe..I needed to get my Corran and Thrawn fix. ;-) I would have preferred to read the x-wing series again, but those books are at my parents house.

**shrugs**

Oh well.

**steps down from her soapbox**

Calli~
  18. Jeremyguy Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I just picked up "Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them" and "Quidditch Through the Ages" by J. K. Rowling. They're bitty little things, but pretty funny, and they'll keep me until I decide what to read next. I really need to get "Thornhold," and I saw a cool-looking book called "Fortress in the Eye of Time" by C. J. Cherryh which I may have to check out.
  19. LanceJade Jedi Master

star 4
    Im reading David Weber's Worlds of Honor (3) - Changer of Worlds. Talk about an amazing story line!!!

I have to push it, READ HONOR HARRINGTON books by David Weber. They are amazing. The first book is "On Basilisk Station"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/067157793X/qid=985793925/sr=1-8/ref=sc_b_9/102-6966753-4898558
  20. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    This thread!

Seriously, re-reading Tyrant's Test while waiting for Conquest.
  21. Amidala Starkiller Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm reading Shadow Hunter.

It's very good so far :)
  22. Jeremyguy Jedi Master

star 4
    I started Elaine Cunningham's "Daughter of the Drow" last night.
  23. Sithflame Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nothing. I'm eagerly awaiting EoV:C.
  24. Matara_Healbo Jedi Knight

star 2
    How many books are you supposed to read at one time? I am currently reading 6. I finally got a hold of a copy of 'Ender's Game' it's very interesting but I like it so far.
  25. Jeremyguy Jedi Master

star 4
    We should really decide between this and the other "What are you reading?" thread...I get confused. Oh, well.

I finished Cunningham's "Tangled Webs" last night and started on "Conquest" today. So far, so good. I dig Keyes' writing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.