main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    This thread is for telling everyone else in the forum what you're reading at the moment, and maybe even give a quick review and/or recommendation. Threads like this have done well in the Literature forum for some time now, going through multiple iterations. I think that it's an idea even better suited for this forum though.

As for myself, I'm reading 100 Bullets. Fascinating comic. I don't much care for the art, but the conspiracy story it tells is fascinating. The dialog can be difficult sometimes, because it?s written as people actually speak, but also stylized. Think of the dialog as a cross between film noir and Ebonics. And for all that I like the overarching plot and seeing the evolution of Dizzy from being a street punk to being something a lot more and less, and seeing the layers of manipulations going on between Graves, Shepard, the Trust, and others, the one-shot issues are my favorites. The one where we found out who really shot JFK and why was absolutely brilliant.

Another success from Vertigo: almost everything that Vertigo touches is gold.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I agree, 100 Bullets is fantastic. I didn't think I liked Brian Azzarello until I read it.

I'm currently reading Yvonne Navarro's Red Shadows, which is set 20 years after her apocalyptic opus Final Impact. Navarro definitely deserves a wider audience, and I wish she'd get the chance to stop writing movie novelizations and Buffy novels and do more original work.

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Well, it's January, so it's about time I started on the Lord of the Rings Trilogy... again. I think this'll be my third year reading them.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm currently working to finish Singularity Sky by Charles Stross

5. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Wheel of Time 1: Eye of the World. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist them. The first one is so good but everyone insists that it's a trap :D

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, I've been reading the Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel books for well over a year now. Not too long ago I read "The Historian", which is a good book. Now I've been reading some of the Star Wars books that I haven't been able to, do to certain finacial problem that I have had.

7. masterluke9

masterluke9 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    Star Wars:Labrinth(sp) of evil.
    Wow, top tenth poster in history of this board.

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm still working my way through Harry Potter, Halfblood Prince

9. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I might look like a :-B but I'm presently reading Book I of the Chronicles of Narnia The Magician's Nephew

In the cue are Dark Lord, Dark Nest III, and The Conquering Sword of Conan.

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm still reading Dark Lord... for some reason it's taking awhile. And I admit that I get very impatient with the chapters that aren't about Vader. :p

11. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Actually I don't wanted to read Harry Potter, so I only got the first book in a foreign language and as a "translation book" in English, because it should be written in an easy way. But it happens that Harry Potter make me forgetting about the other book (because I couldn't read it as fast as I wanted) and I stuck with the "translation book". :p

12. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    If I can find where I put it after I bought it, The 2nd Book of the Dragonlance Chronicals.

~PK~

13. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I just finished a book called "Please Don't Come Back from the Moon" by Dean Bakopoulos. It was pretty good.

Today or tommorow I am going to start reading Dune.

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Finishing up V for Vendetta, which isn?t quite as polished as Watchmen but still compelling and subversive in its own right. Also just ripped through Denning?s The Swarm War, and am still convinced that he is one of the few EU regulars that has continuously been delivering quality.

Next up is The Urth of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe.

15. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Battle Surgeons, one of them Clone Wars books.

16. Sith_Priestess

Sith_Priestess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    I'm reading Son of a Witchby Gregory Maguire. It is pretty good so far, kinda slow in the beginning, though.

17. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

I've nearly finished Wheel of Time 6: Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan. I'm enjoying the series, but it has occurred to me that not much is actually happening in it at the moment...

Comics-wise, I'm about halfway through Lucifer, and it is fantastic. I also just finished reading Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men comics. I found them enjoyable, although I felt that the Danger Room series was a bit of a letdown.

18. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I'm about half-way through Knife of Dreams, the penultimate book in Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series and I'm really enjoying it. You can tell he must be heading towards the end because certain story threads are beginning to come to their conclusions.

After that, hmm, I think A Feast For Crows, the next book in the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin. Then the third and final book in His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. I was reading the collected works and got a little bored at the end of book two so had to put it down.

Still have Dark Lord to get and read, as well as the Dark Nest series. After that, I'm going to do another date check for a few books. The next Kate Elliot novel, the next Terry Goodkind, the next David & Leigh Eddings, the next Raymond E Feist, to name a few. And I really, really want a release date for A Sword from Red Ice by J V Jones, and The Captal's Tower by Melanie Rawn (pretty please, Melanie, with cherries and sugar and ice cream and anything else you want on top!)

19. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    The Historian right now.

After that, Dark Nest 2 and 3.
    The Greatest Generation
    Xenocide
    Book 1 of the Wheel of Time Series.
    The Han Solo Trilogy
    Legacy of the Force series
    And if David Feintuch will ever get off his butt, the next books in the Hope Series and Caledon Series.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm struggling with "A Feast For Crows". I don't know why, but this hasn't sucked me in like "A Storm of Swords" did. I think this is really a bridge between the first three books and last three, in which we get a breather as do the characters.

I'm beginning to like Jaime now, and detest Cersei even more. Ahhh, Martin - characterisations second to none!

I'm also picking at Dark Nest III, but it's really not very good.

E_S

21. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I'm reading The Number of the Beast by Robert Heinlein. This is actually the first book by him that I'm reading. I can't say I'm really into it. The book is mostly dialog driven and I feel like I'm reading a movie script rather than a novel. Maybe he intended it to be a movie? The characters are unrealistic and I don't indentify myself with them. They're all geniuses, social, attractive, rich, have combat skills, and whenever some skill is needed one of them apparently has it. People like that just don't exist, or if they do then not many of them, or maybe I'm just too detached from the rest of the world.

22. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I'm currently re-reading The Man in the High Castle by Phillip K Dick.

I read it a few years ago, and loved it, but it's kind of been nagging at the back of my mind recently to read it again.
    I have that feeling I missed something first time around.
    But I know, deep down, I didn't - and I will find myself asking the same questions all over again... and realise that that in itself is the beauty of that novel - it doesn't answer questions, it just poses them.
    It surely is a work of genius.

23. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    I decided I wanted to read The DaVinci Code before the movie comes out, so I'm reading that at the moment.

Comics: X-Men: Phoenix - Endsong.
    Just read House of M.

24. JamesBatista

JamesBatista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I just finished Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

Next up, the Episode III novelization by Matt Stover. Also waiting are The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman and Matilda by Roald Dahl.

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Let me be the first goof to say "This thread!" And may I be the only! :p

I finished reading Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire on Saturday. It was actually a reread- I first read it when I was like... 10... or something. And I wasn't really into it at all, a bit above my enjoyment level, especially all that technical weaponry stuff. I didn't continue reading the trilogy then.

But this time around, having no recollection of the plot or non-canon characters' personalities, I had a thrill! Grand Admiral Thrawn, Captain Pellaeon, Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Fey'lya, all of them such great characters. Zahn did a really good job, I think, with two things: the new characters and the technical aspects of it all. Being a bit more mature this time around, I much enjoyed the technical descriptions.

And on Sunday evening, I purchased Dark Force Rising. Enjoying the read right now.

Soon, I expect I shall be reading Dune for the first ever time. It's some of the literature included with my sci-fi elective this semester (starting tomorrow).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.