main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] Unfortunately, I'm warming up to the idea, mostly because I now know I want to do some heavy-duty travelling, and I will not have room for books in my luggage if I end up going to the places I want to. :) Moving back to school reminded me of that - I had so much stuff that it was irritating me more than my dad, which is impressive because he's usually the one who complains the most about it. :p

My flatmate got an e-reader for Christmas, so she's letting me play with it to decide whether I like it or not.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Yeah, two bins. My mother did NOT look happy :p

I would definitely like an e-reader at some point soonish. I've been doing a lot of research into them, and it sounds like a good deal, especially as the technology advances.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I agree...as much as I love getting a new book it is just starting to pile back up. Like I said I threw away a ton of books recently for divorce over half what I had and I still brought 6 boxes full to my fathers house and am adding more to it.

I see a kindle, or ipad, or something in my futre in the next yr or so.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If I get one it will probably be a Kindle, but I'd like to wait til they can do color.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    My money is that since there's a Nook color, sometime in the next 6 months to a year, we'll see a Kindle Color.

6. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    WTH they havent done color at all?

7. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Just started Red Seas Under Red Skies. Only about a chapter in and I'm already enjoying it. :)

Evil.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My sister just got a B&N Reader. It is essentially a giant smart phone minus the phone. She can browse the web, downlaod books and read magazines. And the books are cheaper.

I am reading The God Engines

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay!! How did you like Locke?

10. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I love Locke, he's one of my favorite characters in literature at the moment. Lynch has done extremely well in his portrayal and development of the character. His chemistry between Jean and Locke is written perfectly too, it seems like real friendship, nothing forced like some other writers do.

Evil.

11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    We better find the Scott Lynch thread as Republic is coming out soon as well. Im glad you are liking it so far.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not that I know of. The only Kindles for sale in the UK are B&W, with a choice of wi-fi or 3G models. We don't have Barnes & Noble here so I wouldn't get a Nook. Our Waterstones sells the Sony ones (I think) but I haven't really investigated them. I'm not sure if they do color or not.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It IS? Is that confirmed? Any news on the novella collection too?

Presently on For The Honor Of The Queen and it's just snowballed - big battle, couple of main characters dead, one severely hacked off Captain who is now of a mind to take no crap from anyone, it's just great. The only problem is now breaking reading on the commute as work looms.

They had a battle where they get ambushed, take a severe pounding, have to leave one ship behind to act as rearguard in a sequence that's blistering, then a few pages on you find out that one ship took out several in a final display of naval bad-arsery. I don't know how he manages but Weber manages to infuse these books with a good level of emotional intensity, in multiple arenas, from battles to conversations, but never falls into melodrama. I think I particularly like that his villains are very intelligent, but so too are the heroes, who you're clearly supposed to back - that's something SW EU has lost sight of over the last few years for me.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Recently finished Greg Bear's Eon and should finish the sequel Eternity tonight... QGR, you might like those, they're hard SF and pretty good. There's also a prequel, Legacy which I read a while ago. The prequel was written third, and I probably would have understood it better had I read it third.. but it was still pretty good as it was.

Probably will also finish Salvatore's The Legacy tonight. Though I was tempted to start the aforementioned prequel and a certain SW comic series while reading it... then I could have been reading Legacy, The Legacy, and the Legacy comic series at the same time :p [face_laugh]

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nook's the only e-reader with a full-color screen. Between Kindle and Sony - even though Amazon has done some really screwy things with the Kindles (like AmazonFail), get a Kindle over a Reader.

RJ - [face_laugh]

Ben - that sounds really good (and I laughed at your last comment :D )

16. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Im hoping its true Ben! Now Im befuddled as to what I actually heard though. I havent heard anything on the release of the novella yet.

17. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Cast a bright shadow is about a fifteen year old princess who is sent off to marry a leader of a rival tribe. On her way there she is kidnapped by orders of her father. Eventually, she reaches her original destination, but it turns out she is pregnant and she has no memory of how it happened. I am halfway through the book (due to work I can't read as fast as I like) and so far I like it. It is more domestic than epic fantasy usually is, but there is still a lot of magic, political intrigues and gods interfering with everything.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooo, that sounds REALLY interewsting!! I'm going to check that out :D

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh? Now I'm curious, to invoke Mr De Niro:

[image=http://img.listal.com/image/1343373/500full.jpg]

Because it was funny or because it was true? And if it's the former, I may have to bring in Mr Pesci... ;)

Meanwhile, the book's gotten even better - she's just engaged in the mother of all fights, smashed up numerous adversaries and gotten a severe beating too. The image of a treecat going mental, blinding assasins, is just nuts. (Treecat = 9kg, 6-limbed, mega-moggy)

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Because it's true :p (IMO, SW EU isn't as good as it was even during the NJO.)

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Anyway Im about 400+ pgs into Ilium and Im so happy I finally am reading it. The visuals Im seeing are outstanding. I fully intend to dive into Olympos in 300 more pgs!

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Glad you like it!! The more positive reviews I see, the more eager I am to read it :D

23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    There,'s a thread for e-readers. I love my kindle. Who cares about a color screen? I'm just reading on it.

Really really looking forward to The Wise Man's Fear, sequel to The Name of the Wind. If you haven't read Name go read it right now.

Also going to read Iain M Banks' Surface Detail.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just started Dan Simmons' Black Hills. I'm only about a chapter into it but I'm enjoying it so far.

25. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Isard's Revenge.

Oh, and R...J, I forced myself to read the ending of SotE yesterday. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.