main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Not going to argue whether the Hyperion or Endymion series is more enjoyable, but IMHO, to truly understand the importance of the events in Endymion, you need to start with Hyperion. Same universe, Endymion takes place after the events of the Hyperion duology.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Ok, if my new-book pile starts running low and I still don't have Hyperion, I'll go ahead and read Endymion, but otherwise I'll hold off on it.

Yesterday: Went to BAM, got Knight Errant. Started Knight Errant. Finished Knight Errant. It didn't disappoint :) Of course, now McClain gets to laugh at me for not having the comics yet...

Oh, I finished Pathfinder by OS Card... very good book, and I'm hoping its the first in a series because there's definitely plenty of room to continue the story. It works well as a standalone but I think would be much better as the start to a new series. And from what little I've found in a cursory search online, it looks like there will likely be more coming in the series :)

On to The Orc King, the first book in Salvatore's Transitions trilogy... currently the only book I'm reading, which feels really weird now. However, ALTA Omnibus volume 3 should arrive today and Amazon finally got Dark Time 4: Blue Harvest, which should arrive soon as well.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Guess who got Vortex!!

It'll probably be a bit before I can start it, though (thank you, epic amount of reading).

4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Library copy?

Enjoy! :)

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, I recently (like, right after LOTF) decided to stop paying for them (especially since they're all in hardcover).

Thanks!! I hope it's good :D

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I remember you saying that before. I assumed library copy, but the part about having to wait a bit to start reading it made me wonder :p

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I just have too much schoolwork to give it the time it deserves 8-}

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Really pumped for The Wise Man's Fear. Re-read The Name of the Wind for the 2nd time and forgot what an easy and enjoyable read it was!

Just finished Iain M. Banks' "The Player of Games", just a huge fan of his Culture books.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have read each Culture book. They are alot of fun. I just finished Surface Details a few months ago.

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Since I missed my earlier cue, I'm going to laugh at Rogue...Jedi now for reading the Knight Errant novel and none of the Knight Errant comics. :p

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'll get to the comics when they come out in TPB.

Speaking of TPBs, I finally got and read Dark Times 4: Blue Harvest, which was excellent, and the A Long Time Ago Omnibus volume 3, which is... laughably bad. But that was to be expected :p

12. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    The Lies of Locke Lamora. Should be good from what I've read here.:)

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Just finished River King's Road by Liane Merciel... excellent book. Its the first in a new epic fantasy series, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading the second once its out in PB :)

My buying it solely based on the back-cover recommendation of L.E. Modesitt, Jr has most definitely been justified.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Interesting. Would I like it?

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Probably. There were parts that vaguely reminded me of Modesitt's style, though still clearly different. Its fairly open-ended, though, so while I like it as the start to a series, it definitely would not work as a standalone.

Speaking of Modesitt, I'm almost to the point of starting the re-read of all his books that I have (40-something, I think). Just have one more Salvatore book to finish first - The Chaos Curse, last of the Cleric Quintet. Should finish it today.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Interesting. I'll check it out.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just read Star Wars Knight Errant - to invoke Kung Fu Panda, I cannot emphasise enough the awesomeness of it! If you want to see more comments head over to Lit but it's easily one of the best SW books I've read in years.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm still waiting for mine (it's coming from Amazon US) but I'm glad to hear it's good.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, I might have to pick this up :D Is it okay to read it without reading the comics? (I don't think I'd be able to access them except on Amazon, and I don't want to explain the credit card bill to my mom.)

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, its easily readable without the comics - I haven't read the comics yet (though I will once the TPB is out) and quite enjoyed it. There's a small comics preview stuck in the middle of the book, which is nice.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I haven't read the comics either. If I like the story then I might pick up the TPB when it comes out.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    While there's the odd reference to the Aflame series, there's nothing that requires you to have read that before reading it. (It'll be out in TPB form in about 6 months anyway). It's a book that is able to get the reader up to speed without being dry or dull about it, which is deceptively hard to pull off.

23. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Pretty much what Jedi Ben said. You don't need to read the comics to appreciate the novel. It stands well on it's own. There are lots of bonus references if you like the KOTOR-era, too.

24. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. I think I may end up enjoying this series even more than Percy Jackson (which I loved). I've always been better versed in Egyptian mythology than Greek, so this book is a real treat.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I;m glad you like it!! I loved Percy Jackson, and I'm excited about the two new series he has going on :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.