main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFett22

BobaFett22 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2005
    Just finished some graphic novels(Tales of the Jedi series) Dark Lords of the Sith and The Sith War. Now starting Cloak of Deception.

2. Firebee

Firebee Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2005
    Currently reading Order of the Phoenix

3. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Well, just finished the Goats comic series by Jonathan Rosenberg. These are web-based comics compiled into 3 large books (4 volumes worth). Got quite a few good laughs out of them. You can check out Jonathan Rosebberg's brand of humor at www.goats.com. Needing a lot of levity this week, I also read The Funny Thing Is... by Ellen Degeneres, The Book of Bunny Suicides by Andy Riley and the compelling sequel, Return of the Bunny Suicides.

Now that I am in quite a jolly mood, I have begun reading Take a Theif by Mercedes Lackey. This is a novel of Valdemir set during Queen Selenay's reign. Skif is a street urchin, stealing what he can to survive. He soon joins a band of thieving boys, and by the age of twelve, becomes a skilled cat burglar. However, it would seem that the Companions of Valdemir have a different future planned for Skif, a plan he discovers when he makes an attempt to steal one.

4. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm taking a break from fantasy and have begun reading Olaus Magnus' Historia De Gentibus Septentrionalibus (The history of the Nordic People) which was originally written in the 16th Century. As a lot of fantasy is based on the European Middle Ages it will be interesting to see what a man in a prominent position thought was worth telling as that age had just ended.

(Olaus Magnus was the last Catholic archbishop in Sweden and went into exile when the Swedish monarch forced the church to become protestant.)

5. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Still on Malafrena due to the exam session and lack of time... [face_plain]

6. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    the latest ultimates comic book series 'grand theft america'.
    super-hero comic book nirvana.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just picked up The Musashi Flex by Steve Perry. This is another book set in his much older Matador series universe but is outside of the series itself. It does a great job of combining martial arts with scifi. One of the aspects that was touched on in the earlier series was the gathering of martial artists on worlds where they would hunt each other down an engage in combat. This could be anything from a large city where there are no rules against fighting, to a super large maze for them to go through while seeking each other out.
    The Musashi Flex was never before given any real details other than it was the top place of battle. Win it and you are numero uno to all others. In the same universe but outside the series was a book called the Omega Cage which was set in a prison. One of the inmates named Sandoz was a previous winner of the Musahi Flex.
    Many of the ideas in the SW EU book Shadows of the Empire(Which I did not like at all) come right out of the Matador universe.

8. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I've always been interested in reading some more of the SW Authors outside of the SW Universe, VadersLaMent. Seems you'd recommend Steve Perry.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'd recommend Karen Traviss...her other series is outstanding.

Nothing ATM...I may go shopping tomorrow.

10. Fettist

Fettist Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2006
    I just finished The Courtship of Princess Leia...

But I read a lot outside of fiction.

My favorite book is 'War is a voice that gives us meaning' by Chris Hedges...

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The only other books besides his SW novel and the Matador universe are his two Aliens vs Predator books. There's actually three in the series, but you can skip the second one and pretend it doesn't exist, the first and third are very good reads.

If you get the Matador books you see that two elements from SOTE are taken from there, Black Sun and the use of pheromones as a sexual weapon. The matador series has some explicit sex, especially lesbian scenes.

The 97th Step was ok, but you could skip it. I believe it was his first book in the series.

12. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005
    International Public Law - but I still cannot decide on it being sci-fi or pure fantasy :confused:

13. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    [face_laugh] Fairly certain that would be fantasy / horror. ;)

14. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Currently reading Layer Cake. Funny book.

15. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    I just finished reading all 6 Harry Potter books for the first time. Took me around 5-6 days.

Now I'm waiting for Geodesica: Descent by Sean William and Shane Dix to come out tomorrow.

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Orphans of Earth, Shane Williams and Sean Dix.

17. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I've been reading Fiona McIntosh's The Quickening. Interesting, not great. There are too many points where the characters seem to be more interested in following the plot than their own common sense (reminds me of Robin Hobb to some extent), and there are a few places where she brings in real-worldisms ("His cross to bear"). But then, if Tolkien could mention trains, I suppose one or two real world references aren't absolutely unforgivable. Still, I wish that the editors had been harsher.

18. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005
    The dead souls by Nikolay Gogol

19. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Nothing, and I'm out of ideas on other authors to try.

20. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    Currently in the middle of Morgawr by Terry Brooks (which is funny considering I started the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy three years ago), it's good but a bit slower-moving than the first two and also a bit more predictable.

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Queen_Pixie, try Sara Douglass and Robert Jordan is you haven't already.

22. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Just started a book called Never Again. The first 3 pages were boring. Then, I got hooked! It reminds me of Slay and Rescue.

Also still reading Boundaries in Marriage. I give it high recommendations.

23. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Jada, check out Kathy Tyers Firebird trilogy. Very, very good(recommended to me when Kathy was still actively posting here). It was originally two books, but she re-wrote them a bit for the Christian sci-fi market. The Christianity aspects aren't overt, it's more spirtuality really. I believe the book is now being published with the trilogy all in one books.

24. SlaneTransportLtd

SlaneTransportLtd Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    First post here!

The last book I finished reading was Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy - I ended up reading it all night and getting no sleep. I read it because, well, I'm interested in the Cold War......

25. Lord_of_all_Noldor

Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2005
    I'm re-reading Icewindale trilogy. It is awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.