main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm currently reading Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair and LOST: Secret Identity.

2. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Although it's really historical fiction of the espionage/romance sort, I just finished reading The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Laura Willig which is an outstanding book. The characters are interesting, the prose is simply wonderful and the plot is great.

Now for the fantasy/sci-fi stuff.

I'm currently in the middle of rereading both Rogue Squadron and Jedi Search (this one more for research for a fic I'm in the middle of) and plan on continuing both series.

I also need to get my hands on The Swarm War, the Legacy series, and the Rogue Squadron comics.

3. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    I am trudging my way thru "Stranger in a strange land". I've never attempted Heinlein before, so it's been interesting.

4. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Back on my favourite fantasy/horror International Public Law, sice I've failed my exam. I think I could start a thread about it here.

5. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    A Tale of Two Cities.

-The Scummy-

6. The_Flargg

The_Flargg Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2004
    Children of the Star by Sylvia Engdahl. It's really good, so far. I really liked Enchantress from the Stars, another book by said author. They're good for people who are looking for different sci-fi that isn't out-there weird.

7. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I'm just getting started on the fourth Dark Tower book, Wizard and Glass. I've liked them all so far, though The Gunslinger was by far the best. I'm eager to get into the book and find out how the confrontation at the close of The Waste Lands is resolved.

-Paul

8. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I get the pleasure of reading The Canterbury Tales. Think we're on the Miller or something.

9. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001

You're a lucky man. We long-time Dark Tower fans had to wait six years to find out how the gunslinger and his Ka-tet escaped Blaine the Mono. ;)

I'm currently reading The Dawn Treader, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. Much more than Prince Caspian. I hope the rumours of them squeezing both novels into one movie prove true.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Michael Crichton's The Lost World

11. rogueadam

rogueadam Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2006
    Mack Maloney's WINGMAN series. It is great Cold War era, post World War III fiction and I recommend it.

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, I figure it's ben a couple weeks, so . . .

Still on The Faded Sun Trilogy, just finished the first book.
    Three Wishes by Laine Moriarty
    Dragons of Autumn Twiligt by Hickman and Weis
    The second Silken whatever book by Elizabeth Gilligan
    end of The Princess Bride
    Stardust (at least, I think that's the one) by Neil Gaimon
    re-reading The Matzo Bll Heiress by Gwen Shapiro (?)
    about to start Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich
    and Good Omens by Gaimon and Prachett

13. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Having done the wait between Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix and--worse--the wait between The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass, I can be very sympathetic -- though it's shocking to realize thtat your wait was longer than either!!

-Paul

14. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I just went there.

Just finished The Da Vinci Code and the Swarm War trilogy, reading some John Steinbeck for the billionth time until I find a new book.

15. Prodigal

Prodigal Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    Just starting Girl with a Pearl Earring. Was a gift from a good friend of mine, who says it's 'my sort of book'.

What does that even mean?! :p

16. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Serenity: Official Visual Companion

I read most of the Whedon interview, and then I'm going to read through the entire script. Very interesting stuff so far!

I recommend it to any Firefly/Serenity fan.

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Wow, Steven King even managed to outdo GRRM.

I've just finished A Feast for Crows. So of course I'm now reading...A Feast for Crows.

18. JediKataraDodonna

JediKataraDodonna Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2006
    I'm reading The Wizard of London, which is a Mercedes Lackey book. I don't really know why she doesn't get more play. I realize she is sort of fantasy lite, but I find her work generally amusing (though I have read better than this current one).

19. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I just finished The Dawn Treader and am finally on to the last Conan compilation.

20. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Let's see, I'm reading some Brothers Grimm and continuning the Canterbury Tales. I was reading bits and pieces of Narnia the other night.

21. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Return of the King. Again.

22. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The Dark Nest intervals interrupted my Malazan series read. Then I got it into my thick adamantium head to finish off the Rhapsody trilogy once and for all, having stopped midway half a year ago when I commenced Malazan. I've never read such revolting books, but it's almost over and I have learned new insight. She revealed the F'dor identity with as much suspense as a lumbering oaf, which was the only reason I kept reading her precious innocent woman, to see if I could guess the name.

But it's almost over thank Vader's minty breath, and after months of delay I can finally get into the fifth Malazan book, Midnight Tides.

23. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Just finished Outbound Flight; now rereading Survivor's Quest to get a better feel for how it all ties together.

24. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Into the Darkness
    Harry Turtledove

Technically rereading, but i read it like 6 years and hundreds of books ago so i hardly remember it.

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Feast of Fear - Conversations with Stephen King" :p Checked out from the school library.

Finished Dune a few days ago, watched the 1983 movie. That best thing that movie did for me was make me appreciate just how good the OT's special effects were back then. :eek: Am in process of re-reading book. I hope to read it as much as possible and understand better and better before the Dune Trial begins in my S/F class. If I know the book well enough, I can be the Judge or one of the attorneys.

I also finished Night a long while ago. Good, solid book. Wiesel (obviously) went through a lotta crap.

Travels I'm still reading... but just lightly. It's good that way.

What else, what else, what else...

With my winter break coming up next week (hippeee kooo-ray!) I'm going to get back to the Zahn EU trilogy (working on Dark Force Rising), will lightly read (as usual) King's On Writing- the bible for a type like me, also The Power of Myth with Bill Moyers and the amazing Joseph Campbell, and hopefully get started on Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.