main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    So it turns out I accidentally bought Evergence 1 rather than Orphans 3. So I'm reading that instead 8-}

2. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    The Separation by Christopher Priest.Just published by a small Baltimore Publisher-Old Earth Books.It is alternate history-of sorts about two brothers.Goes from around 1936 through....But that would be telling.It is a strange sort of AH book.Possibly something weird happens?Last phrase is not intended to be a spoiler.If anyone has read it please post.The book was orginally published in the UK and I almost bought one at a Baltimore SF con last year.

3. steve12553

steve12553 Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2006
    I'm finally getting around to "the Silamarillion" by Tolkien. Been hearing about it for 20 years and found a copy at Barnes and Noble.

4. Merlyn_Gabriel

Merlyn_Gabriel Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Alfred W. McCoy - A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation, from the cold war to the war on terror. ( only on the first pages yet)

James Luceno - Dark Lord, The rise of Darth vader ( just started this one too...so far so okay)

I just finished Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn ( worth the read.)

5. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Just started reading Star Wars: Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning.

6. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco

7. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Just finished Angels and Demons, Dan Brown, can recommend it as well it was a great read.

8. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    Outbound flight!!!! FINALLY ;)

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    ROTS novelisation since I just picked it up in PB.

Just finished Evergence 1 and Swarm War.

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm reading The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Anthony Beevor.

So far, it's good. The subject is a strange mix of depressing and exciting, but one I enjoy reading about. The end of the Third Reich is one of the greatest stories ever told. You have some of the most evil people ever to walk the earth, institutionalized insanity, rank cowardice, unimaginable destruction, unfettered greed, unexpected kindness, and incredible heroism ? on both the Russian and German sides. Moments like Albert Speer?s last visit to Hitler and the raising of the Russian flag over the Reich Chancellery building are the sort of moments that make any fiction pale by comparison, and Beevor has been doing a good job on them so far.

11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Haven't really settled onto a book. Have just completed Steven King's Dark Tower IV: Wolves of the Calla.

Now I'm vacillating between these three:

Inconceivable, Ben Elton.
    How to Win Friends and influence people, Dale Carnegie.
    Polar City Blues, Katherine Kerr.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I?m about 150 pages into The Scar, and am already finding out that this book is every bit the engaging piece that Perdido Street Station was. Mieville?s settings are painted with a descriptive eloquence that imbue his creations with uniqueness, while his mastery of bringing out fully realized individuality in characters is spot-on. His blend of modern/mundane societal nodes combined with steampunk and high fantasy riffs manages to come across as a perfect example of harnessing potentially familiar elements as a means of destroying expected conventions. Few authors write with the brazen confidence that Mieville achieves, and for that reason I wouldn?t hesitate to name as one of the genre?s most important names to come out of the last decade.

13. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    That was a great read, but the implausability of the ending kind of ruined it for me.

Cry pardon but I must recommend The Dark Tower V: Song of Sussanah you've come too far along the path of the beam to turn back now. ;)

I'm currently reading Stephen King's Cell and Robert E Howard's The Conquering Sword of Conan when I have time at home. I still have James Luceno's Dark Lord, and CS Lewis' The Silver Chair waiting in the wings.

14. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I'm reading a lot of Jack London's old writings (as opposed to his new stuff, which I hear mostly involves fertilizing daisies or something) and lots of it, believe it or not, is really good science fiction. In particular, the great story 'The Scarlett Plague,' which I think is the first ever zombie story (although they didn't call them zombies.)

Here's a great quote after all but .5% of the population has died:
    "Civilization has crumbled. It is each man for himself."

P.S. I said at another site I'd repost this, so here it is:
    Jesus---- I---- Love----- You----- and------ Need----- You----

15. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    I just finished reading Mercedes Lackey "Burning Water", and am undecided as to which of my new books to read next. I think I may go for one of the Star Trek books.

16. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    A book called The Thir Secret.

17. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    I chose Star Trek, Reading Star Trek-New Frontie "No Limits"

18. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Isn't it funny how this post is like everybody talking but nobody listening? Like, somebody will say, "I'm reading '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,'" and then the next guy's like, "I'm reading 'The Wheel of Time'" but nobody ever goes, "Yeah? What do you think?"

I don't know.

19. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I'm on a bit of a literature binge at the moment.

Finished The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon, and then on to Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, which I finished just this afternoon. Loved both, and I'm now moving on to some James Joyce, specifically Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, which I just borrowed from the library.

20. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm currently reading Neil Gaiman's The Sandman and Joseph Campbell: In Search of the Modern Myth. Much as it sounds, it's a scholarly book about Sandman. It's a really interesting read, and so absolutely geeky. Makes me very happy.

21. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Just picked up Ringworld, by Larry Niven. Amazing novel. This is probably the 6th time I've read it.

22. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I finished Into the Darkness last night, and am starting Darkness Descending in like 15 minutes when i go eat lunch :)

23. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I agree, it's not much of a discussion. More like a list. I try to respond when I see something I have an opinion on, but I can see your point. I think if people read that I'm reading Stephen King's "Cell"[.i for instance, and they're interested, well then we'd go to the SK Thread to talk about it. That might be why you don't get many responses in this thread.

24. cristalvandepol

cristalvandepol Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 30, 2002
    I just finished reading 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' by Sophie Kinsella which was such a wonderful light, girly read. I'm thinking of starting 'Hogfather' by Terry Pratchett tonight.

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Sophie Kinsella writes the best stuff!! I didn't really care for the Shopoholic books, but Can You Keep a Secret? and The Undomestic Goddess are amazing!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.