main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    HALO: The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Today it was the ST: Voyager The Nanotech War by Steve Pziaraks (sp?). Nice reread

Yesterday I started Cloak of Deception by James Luceno.

3. The_Flargg

The_Flargg Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2004
    Gore Vidal's Lincoln and Dante's Purgatorio. How's that for variety?

4. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    What It Takes to Be #1 By Vince Lombardi Jr. - a book about leadership using football coach Vince Lombardi as an example. It was recommended by the professor at this management seminar I went to last year.

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I just finished Stephen King's Cell on Saturday and moved onto James Luceno's Dark Lord finally.

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    The Runelords by David Farland

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

He's Dave Wolverton. I heard Runelords was very badly written. A pity, I really liked Courtship's no-nonsense style.

8. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    You guys are all reading stuff I never heard of, any of it really good?

ATM I am reading Return of the Archwizards: The Summoning, by Troy Denning. I just started it but it seems good so far, I was told it was worth the buy so I am hoping I heard right because I bought the whole set plus the anthology.

9. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Now that's what I call a leap of faith. I have great difficulty even buying ONE book from an unknown author. I have to admit that I generally just keep going back to the same well because it's a known factor. I never know what might be good by someone else. I mean, when you walk into a huge bookstore how do you choose? Is it the Title? The Genre? The Author, or the Pretty picture on the cover?

10. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Right now I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring. I am bound and determined to NOT skip book 1 of the Fellowship. It's been tough though. The first 250 pages are soooo sloooowww :(

11. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Have faith! Things pick up rather quickly toward the end.

12. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004

Yeah they really do. Once you get passed the three hundred page mark of Fellowship you'll fly threw the rest of the trilogy and then, if your like me, you'll see how incredibly rich the slow first act really is if you ever reread it. I can read the second chapter of Fellowship every day, thats how brilliant I think it is.

13. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Reading 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 for school, plus Hamlet because I love it to pieces.

14. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively by Rebecca McClanahan and Spinneret by Timothy Zahn.

15. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    About 67 pages in The Stand

16. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Its not a huge leap, I have read a lot of the Forgotten Realms stuff already, and Denning isn't horrible so I figured it would be safe.

I feel the same stress in picking books, I usually pick by familiar author names, although sometimes I will take a gamble on others. That is why I love anthology books and short stories, I get a book full of about 10-15 authors and I can get a nice preview of them all. Sometimes I find authors I never heard of before, and they turn out being a pleasant surprise.

17. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    I just picked up the original comic, V for Vendetta in anticipation for the movie. I want to go into the movie with at least some knowledge of the background story. So far, the comic is pretty good.

18. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Now reading Brotherhood of the Wolf by Farlander.

Actually the books are very well written to me. I am really enjoying the style and story.

19. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    That's just what I do. But it's still so hard to choose new fiction. There's really no way to know who or what you're looking at. I'm hoping to use this Forum as a bit of a suggestion box. A way to see what people think of particular books, and see if it inspires me to give it a try.

20. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    The Wedding by Gombrovitch (right?)

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooo, I have that!! It's still waiting for me to read it . . .

Are you serious??? He's Wolverton?!?!

I like to, because I get to try something new. I usually stay within fantasy, but I pick stuff up if the cover is pretty or provides and interesting-looking summary. A title is what leads me to pick it up and look at it. Other times I'll buy/borrow a book knowing nothing about it except that I like the author.

Right now I'm reading Good Omens by Gaimon and Pratchet (sp?), The first Dragonlance book, a book about pirates that I can't remember the title of, and I just started The Towers of Sunset by Modsitt, the sequel to The Magic of Recluse.

22. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett ;) They're both pretty damn good. I was rereading Pratchett's Lords and Ladies earlier. Still hilarious.

"Shouldn't you have a horse?"

"I was waylaid by bandits."

"But it says on your card that you're a 'Finest Swordsman'."

"I was outnumbered."

"How many of them were there?"

"Three million."

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, it would be nice if I could spell 8-}

Someone on these boards said it was funny so I picked it up, but I'm not really impressed. I think Douglas ADams could have done a better job with it. And I read Stardust by Gaimon with a book club, and I really didn't enjoy it. Eventually I'll give Pratchett's Discworld a try, but I don't have very high hopes.

24. master_quigon

master_quigon Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2006
    I am now reading the Black Stallion series. It is a good book. I still think Star Wars is the best!

25. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    You know I read those Black Stallion books back when I was 12 because the movies looked interesting (even though to this day I've never seen them). Even then I was casting about for reading material and soon fell upon my first Stephen King experience with The Shining. I literally consumed that book in the span of 3 days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.