main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jon_Snow, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Finished Will McIntosh's first novel Soft Apocalypse - very good read: https://andrewliptak.wordpress.com/2011/04/29/out-with-a-whimper-soft-apocalypse/

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I'm reading Michael Braddick's God's Fury, England's Fire. A New History of the English Civil Wars(2009, originally 2008).

I really think that there ought to be added a word between "New" and "History" in the title, and that would be "Calvinism".

To the author Calvinism = Protestantism and every other Protestant nomination is "popery".

3. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    While Mortals Sleep by Kurt Vonnegut

A collection of short stories published after his death. I am so familiar with his habits and formula for short stories that I guessed what was next in nearly every story before I turned the pages. Regardless, I devoured them with pleasure because no one writes like him.

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

Pratchett pokes fun at religion, zealots, hierarchy and hypocrisy.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The Lincoln Lawyer. I saw the movie and really wanted to read the book.

5. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Rereading "Stalingrad" by Anthony Beevor

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Summer Knight: Dresden 4 this is turning into a badass series.

7. au-pays-natal

au-pays-natal Jedi Knight

Jul 17, 2007
    Pathfinder Orson Scott Card.

8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Just finished A Feast for Crows by GRR Martin, in anticipation of both the Game of Thrones HBO show and the upcoming publication of the 5th book in the series, A Dance with Dragons (which is really part 2 of AFFC). AFFC is a remarkable work, even if it is only 1/2 of a book. I finally understand Cersei's motives, even if she is an evil harridan who will stop at nothing to protect her idiot children. Brienne the Beauty has emerged as my favorite character -- except for Tyrion of course, who isn't in this book except by name and reputation.

Now I'm re-reading Watchmen by Moore and Gibbons. Anyone who thinks the Snyder film is a "slavish recreation" of the graphic novel has either never read the graphic novel, or read it so long ago they only remember the key images and general events that did make it faithfully to the screen. Snyder's cinematic version excises a lot (yes, I've seen the Extended Cut), and more unforgivably, changes the staging of scenes so that we lose what's really important: the psychological effect the events have on the characters' minds and choices.

Pages full of purely visual information with no dialogue, such as Dan Dreiberg's descent into his basement to put on the glasses and rediscover his identity, are glossed over in the film. The movie for the most part plays like an adolescent's memory of having read the superlative Watchmen. Then there was this cool scene where this guy hit this other guy with a lamp-post, and it was all slo-motion-y and blood spurted everywhere! Yes, but why is that scene important? Uhhhh... it looks cool? [face_talk_hand]

9. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Ernst Breisach: Historiography: Ancient, Medieval & Modern(2007, originally 1983).
    Steven Manly: Visions of the Multiverse(2011).
    Michael Swanwick: Stations of the Tide(2011, originally 1991).
    Quinlan Vos - Jedi in Darkness(2010).

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Read Shakespeare's Cymbeline recently and I didn't really care for it that much. It's easily my least favorite of the ones I've read. It has some interesting elements though including a blunt deus ex machina moment that I would have never expected from Shakespeare. The whole play though is very anti-climactic with plot elements he used before more competently.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Hunter S. Thompson's The Rum Diary. Real solid, I think they're making it into another Johnny Depp movie.

Also Hitch 22 by Christopher Hitchens.

12. Tholain

Tholain Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2011
    Jeremy Scahill: Blacwater

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    New biography of Bismarck. Pretty dry.

14. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Blood Rites: Dresden 6. This series is so Fbombing good!!!

15. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    Undisputed: How to Become the World Champion in 1,372 Easy Steps by Chris Jericho

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    New book by Erik Larson, "In the Garden of Beasts"

17. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Robert Fagels' translation of The Iliad.

18. King_of_Red_Lions

Mar 28, 2003
    How does it compare to Larson's other work?

The Fugitive by Marcel Proust

The penultimate volume of In Search Of Lost Time

Lords And Ladies by Terry Pratchett

The Hound Of The Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    The English translation of Shusaku Endo's Silence. It's a brilliant pageturner and it's questions of theology are extremely engaging. What Endo does is take Christianity/Catholicism and brings it to the basest questions you can ask about it.

20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Silence is next up for me...I'm really looking forward to it.

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    After putting Dresden 6 on hold for Conviction Im now back to it after finishing Conviction.

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001

I didn't get very far with "The Devil in the White City", and I'm stalling here, too; though the subject is fascinating.

23. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Those Guys Have All The Fun-An Oral History of ESPN: Tom Shales and James Andrew Miller

24. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Currently reading:
    The Wolf's Tooth: Keystone Predators, Trophic Cascades, and Biodiversity (2010) by Cristina Eisenberg
    Beggars and Thieves: Lives of Urban Street Criminals (1995) by Mark S. Fleisher
    The Damned Busters (2011) by Matthew Hughes

And, wow, it's been a while. Books read since my last update:

Fiction
    Bet Me (2004) by Jennifer Crusie
    Mirror Dance (1994) by Lois McMaster Bujold
    Cetaganda (1995) by Lois McMaster Bujold
    Memory (1996) by Lois McMaster Bujold
    The Brains of Rats (1990) by Michael Blumlein
    A Game of Thrones (Book One of A Song of Ice and Fire) (1996) by George R. R. Martin (4th time or so, but the first time in a decade)
    A Companion to Wolves (2007) by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear
    The Hunger Games (2008) by Suzanne Collins
    Dreamweaver's Dilemma: Short Stories and Essays (1996) by Lois McMaster Bujold
    Komarr (1998) by Lois McMaster Bujold
    A Civil Campaign (1999) by Lois McMaster Bujold
    Catching Fire (The Second Book of The Hunger Games) (2009) by Suzanne Collins
    The Mermaids Singing (1995) by Val McDermid
    Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) (2010) by Suzanne Collins
    Sensation (2011) by Nick Mamatas
    Deathless (2011) by Catherynne M. Valente
    Pym (2011) by Mat Johnson
    Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti (2011) by Genevieve Valentine

Nonfiction
    Essential Theory for Social Work Practice (2006) by Chris Beckett
    Meat Market: Female Flesh under Capitalism (2011) by Laurie Penny
    True Notebooks (2003) by Mark Salzman
    Waging Nonviolent Struggle: 20th Century Practice and 21st Century Potential (2005) by Gene Sharp, with the collaboration of Joshua Paulson and the assistance of Christopher A. Miller and Hardy Merriman
    The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart (2008) by Bill Bishop with Robert G. Cushing
    Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab?the Body Farm?Where the Dead Do Tell Tales (2003) by Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson
    One-Dimensional Woman (2009) by Nina Power
    Falling in Love: Why We Choose The Lovers We Choose (second edition; 1999, 2005) by Ayala Malach Pines
    Words to Our Now: Imagination and Dissent (2005) by Thomas Glave

Comics
    The Hedge Knight (2003-2004) adapted by Ben Avery (script) and Mike S. Miller (pencils) from the "The Hedge Knight" (1998) by George R. R. Martin
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword (2007-2008) adapted by Ben Avery (script) and Mike S. Miller (pencils) from "The Sworn Sword" (2003) by George R. R. Martin
    Thor: The Mighty Avenger (2010-2011) by Roger Langridge (script) and Chris Samnee (art) with Matthew Wilson (colors)
    Existence 2.0 (2009) by Nick Spencer (words) and Ronald Salas (art)
    Existence 3.0 (2009-2010) by Nick Spencer (words) and Ronald Salas (art)

25. King_of_Red_Lions

Mar 28, 2003
    What did you think of the Hunger Games trilogy? I thought the first two were fantastic. The third one lost its way and felt rushed; it crammed too much info and events into a single, short book. The author surprised me by the unconventional choices she made with the characters toward the end of the novel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.