Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jon_Snow, Nov 3, 2002.

1. DAR Force Ghost

star 4
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, kind of want to see what the hype is about.
  2. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    The Glass Key. Absolutely fantastic. Hammett moves away from PI protagonists; here the protagonist is the fixer for a political boss who gets caught tangentially in a murder. At first the murder is merely lurking in the background behind Beaumont as he deals with his own gambling debts and his boss's political troubles in advance of an upcoming election, but the murder comes to dominate the election and Beaumont has to get at the truth. The plot is fantastic, a big story about city politics more than just a detective story, in the style of Red Harvest, but here Hammett manages to keep the single murder mystery seamlessly integrated into the larger plot and running perfectly throughout the book. Hammett's writing style is very effective, only revealing the bare minimum and letting the reader play catch-up for much of the early going, revealing character and plot through Beaumont's actions. And Beaumont makes a good character; coming from outside the private eye category, he's not beholden to the stereotypes of that role. He may be a political wizard, but he's not a detective genius, and he gets at the truth only through his grasp of the political situation. And he's certainly no great fighter or shooter. A great story, noirish in its cynical political focus.
    YodaKenobi likes this.
  3. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The Escape Artists: How Obama's Team Fumbled the Recovery
    by Noam Scheiber
  4. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Finished The Big Roads, which was interesting, the other day and started reading In Defense of the Realm: The Authorized History of MI5, last night. This also promises to be interesting, as it was written with the co-operation of MI5.
  5. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I can't recommend this enough. I'd be an EU fan if all of them were written this well.

On to d&d: Brimstone Angels
  6. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ron Chernow's "Washington"
  7. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
  8. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, on my iPad, to satisfy my curiosity about both the Millenium series and e-books. Rather like the book (though the end is a bit too much), not sold on the e-book thing, thogh. I find it a bit hard on the eyes, and, in the end I just like having a book in my hands. On the other hand, no disputing the convenience factor.
  9. quiller Jedi Master

star 2
    I am a avid reader and when I can I will read 1-2 books a day. I was hesitant to get into the e-book thing, but when I upgraded to a hand-me down Iphone, I loaded Stanza and started reading e-books. it seemed odd and the screen was a little tiny but I learned to loved it, the freedom of always having a book to read is great, also no more worrying about keeping 2-3 copies of one book just so I have a readable copy as well as a copy in mint condition. I now have a kindle, bigger screen helps and use it as much as regular books,

by the way in some ways the next two dragon books are a little better IMO and all three books really work well together as a group and its a pity he died as a 4th seemed called for in a way, I really like the way he develops the main characters through out the series.

10. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Starting a huge biography about Napoleon Bonaparte. I'm really curious to see what kind of slant it takes on him. If it is predominately anglican I might just put it down.
  11. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    This thread... Also Kenobi...
  12. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Neanderthal, by John Darnton. It's alright if you can get passed some of its pseudo-science. Would make for a fun adventure movie.
  13. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Hollow City by Ransom Riggs and On the Road by Kerouac
  14. SWpants Force Ghost

star 4
    Almost done with my reread of Glow by Jessica Maria Tuccelli