main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jon_Snow, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, I knew that Michael Shaara had written The Killer Angels. I dont know how I could have forgotten to include him in the father / son trilogy. Personally, though, I like Jeff's style a bit more, even though the elder Shaara's work was truly classic.

The movie based on The Killer Angels was Gettysburg, and the film version of Gods and Generals will be out this December.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm going to be reading Gone With the Wind soon. It's on my list.

Watership Down also is on my list. Any book that long about rabbits is a must read. :D

3. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Well besides re-reading Memoirs of a Geisha, Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason, and Phantom by Susan Kay thousands of times, I am currently reading f0or the first time "Possession" -- which was made into a movie I have yet to see. So far it's good -- but I'm on page 36. ;)

4. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, by Philip K. Dick. It's what Blade Runner was based on... considerably different, too.

5. Goldenboy62

Goldenboy62 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2002
    Right now I'm also reading Stephen King's "From a Bruick 8"

Also reading Tanith Lee's When the Light's Go Out.

6. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    The Art of War by Sun Tzu

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, I finished Youth this evening. The End of the Tether is excellent Conrad. I'd recommend it highly, though of course, it's not quite as good as Heart of Darkness . . .

I'm taking a break from significant work now, to read Traitor by Matthew Stover. Personally, I don't have very high hopes for it, but okay, I'll give her a shot. :p

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Matthew Stover is actually one of my favorite contemporary authors. Far and away his best work so far, IMO, is Blade of Tyshalle, which really should be read after Heroes Die but can stand on its own.

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

That guy knows his stuff. And even when you have no idea what the hell he's talking about, he's still great for quoting. :D

9. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    Reading Return of the King right now :D

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I wasn't making a comment on Stover, really, since I've never read any of his stuff, but the subject matter of Traitor doesn't look overly interesting to me. First couple of chapters went okay, though. :p

11. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I'm reading Groucho And Me, Groucho Marx' autobiography.

Next up: Jules Verne's three classic novels, and you can guess which ones.

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    My dad just sent me A Star Called Henry by Roddy Doyle, which I'll probably start tonight.

13. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I just finished Empire Falls, by Richard Russo, which is a great great book. I highly recommend it.

Now I'm reading Live From New York: An Uncensored History Of Saturday Night Live which is surprisingly good. I've never been a fan of non-fiction stuff, but this ones moving along nicely. You may want to check it out at the library though, it's got a hefty 25 dollar price tag, which may not be too much for some of you, but I'm 14, I'm cheap. ;)

14. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    Last night I just started reading a collection of Poe's short stories...The Fall of the House of Usher etc.

~*Senoj*~

15. Dark_Queen

Dark_Queen Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 23, 2002
    At the moment I'm reading some of my favourite poets poems I found on the net... Percy Bysshe Shelly :D

I'm also reading... Understanding Depression - What we know about it and what we can do about it.

After that it will be The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

16. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Solaris by Stanislaw Lem. Movie of the same name coming out Nov 27. I would like to know the story so I can know whether or not it was butchered :D.

Very creepy novel about a living organic ocean that covers an entire planet.

Also, a foray back into the world of Stephen King with Black House, about a parallel universe called "the Territories". Quite creepy as well.

V-03

17. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    In addition to my reading for school I'm reading:

Two chapters a day of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

and

Goldfinger by Ian Fleming. It's pretty good, I haven't seen the movie so I can't compare the them, though I'm betting that the movie leaves out the chapter where Bond and Goldfinger play golf (and for good reason).

18. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

TheVioletBurns, I've been wondering, how similar is Blade Runner to "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"? That just seems like a quaint name for the story that I know takes place in Blade Runner.

~PAd

19. young_padme

young_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2002
    Finally! I finished Watership Down. I thought it was okay, not one of the best books I've read but not one of the worst. Right now we have free reading period in English class so I'm reading one of my favorite books, The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing . :)

RubberDuckyfromSpace: I love the Chamber of Secrets! And if you haven't read the other ones you should definitely do so! It only gets better. :)

Vaderize03: I've been wanting to read Solaris, is it really that good? Would you recommend it?

Rogue1-and-a-half: The bunnies in Watership Down, kinda freaked me out. I can't look at bunnies the same way...... :p

20. That_Flashing

That_Flashing Jedi Master star 5

Aug 22, 2000
    I'm reading "The Two Towers" by J.R.R Tolkien. :D

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Right now I am reading one of Keith Laumer's Bolo books.

This is a far future series centered around super tanks that are self aware. They usually examine the "human" qualities as they pertain to a machine programmed for war.

The most powerful versions are called Continental Seige units. These are true monsters more than a hundred feet long, bristling with anti personael and anti aircraft weaponry. The main guns are called Hellbores. These basically fire a ball of supercharged plasma and can cut down just about anything. The armor of the most powerful Bolos can take hits from nuclear weapons.

The series is a collection of short stories and novellas.

If you have ever heard of the Ogre tanks from Steve Jackson games, it is from the Bolo series that the inspiration comes from. I dream that Jackson lets authors do some Ogre stories.

EDIT: Hellbores, not 'heelbores'...oopsie.

22. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I read it in high school, but I wanted to re-read it now when my appreciation is developed beyond such interests as drinking and chasing boys. :p

Anyway, Dickens' style can be kind of hard to follow, and I am glad I recently saw a film version of it; however, it is an incredibly good book, and I want to read some more of his work.

Riding: I have bought a copy of The Silmarillion. My biggest concern was that it would be hard to follow, and while I haven't gotten into it yet, I've skimmed it and it looks really interesting.

I also want to re-read The Two Towers before the film comes out.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Finished Traitor yesterday. Started The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. I'm zipping right through it. Easy, quick read.

24. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Riding: I have bought a copy of The Silmarillion. My biggest concern was that it would be hard to follow, and while I haven't gotten into it yet, I've skimmed it and it looks really interesting.

It can be a bit daunting at times, but just make sure you're not lost before you proceed on with it... if you do, you'll be eternally lost.

25. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    Ah, the Silmarillion, best twenty bucks I've spent in a looooong time. :D

What I am currently reading:

The Dragon Reobrn from the Wheel of Time series. It's good... but confusing, every character seems to be on a boat.

and

Shapre's Gold by Bernard Cornwell, I am not really liking it so far, it is a let-down after Sharpe's Eagle which IMO was the best I have read so far.

Also, on the reccomendation of our own Gandolf, I picked up a copy of A Game of Thrones, but I've put it on the shelf for later. The begginning was interesting, but once it got to Jon Snow and these wolf puppies I started to get lost... so I'm going to pick it up again in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.