main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jon_Snow, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TATOOINEFARMGIRL

TATOOINEFARMGIRL Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2002
    Now that I finished my last stack of books, I'm reading the first book in The Forsyte Saga (one BIG complicated soap opera IMO), Louisa May Alcott's The Inheritance, a bunch of the books in the Rogue Squadron series, and a biography of Richard Wagner :)

2. Son of Kenobi

Son of Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 1998
    Ah the mighty Forsyte Saga, I was watching bits of it on PBS ... I agree that it's one big soap opera, TATOOINEFARMGIRL, . lol. A good soap though.

Lord Bane, I agree with your assessment of The Dark Knight Strikes Back, although I thought Miller made Luthor and Braniac into truly scary villains.

Mastadge, how is Coldheart Canyon so far?

Currently, I'm reading Dreamer by Steven Harper. I'm really enjoying it. That was after taking a very long time to finish O Lost, by Thomas Wolfe, the original version of Look Homeward, Angel.

3. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Although, I thought Miller made Luthor and Braniac into truly scary villains.

Well, that's one way of putting it. Still, another is to say that it's scary seeing how bad a good writer can be when writing the characters of Lex Luthor and Brainiac. No, the true sequel to Dark Knight Returns is Batman: Year One. Though, I really wish Miller had lent his artistic talents to his script.

~PAd

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm only about fifty pages into COLDHEART CANYON; I've just finished the introductory "75 years ago" bit. So far, it's interesting, but it hasn't knocked my socks off, and Barker's prose doesn't grip me like it used to. I am looking forward to reading ABARAT, though.

DARK KNIGHT RETURNS was very good, but after all the hype, I must admit I was a little disappointed. As far as I'm concerned, it didn't touch V FOR VENDETTA or THE SANDMAN.

Before I read B:TDKR, I read LUCIFER: DEVIL IN THE GATEWAY, the first Lucifer TPB. Overall, I was impressed. Carey obviously knew the material well, and his dialogue was particularly fun and memorable. The story gets moving; the characters are all introduced. Lucifer himself is a whole lot of fun. The art is a mixed bag; roughly the first half of the book is spectacular, most of the second half is pretty decent, and at the end it just plain stinks. The Devil, as they say, is in the details, and that's this book's biggest problem -- there's a lot of stuff happening, and not really enough space for it to happen in. What should have, and in Gaiman's hands probably would have, been a spectacular, interesting, mythical metaphysical journey here just kind of quickly happens. Still, I liked this book much more than I thought I would, and am looking forward to picking up the next Lucifer TPB.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I finished the Arthur C. Clarke book last night, so now I'm back to concentrating fully on The Grapes of Wrath.

6. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Aside from reading textbooks on Pathophysiology and nursing theory I've been reading one of the greatest books I've ever had the pleasure of picking up: Astral Dynamics, by Robert Bruce

It's a fresh look at astral projection by an enlightened soul from Australia :)

7. Dinoforce

Dinoforce Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Hello, this is the first time I'm over here in the amphitheatre and I just had to say that I'm reading A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin and re-reading The Two Towers.

Jon_ Snow, so tell me, what happens next? BTW, is there a Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread?

8. audio_karate

audio_karate Jedi Master star 3

Jul 23, 2001
    B.J introduced a thoughtful idea to Community back in July, but (sadly) the thread is not frequently trafficked.

If it's no bother, I'll re-post here:

I was reading Slashdot earlier in the week and came across a story about a site called BookCrossing.com. In essence, it's a capture and release program for books. You register a book with the site, then drop it off in a public area with a tag identifying it as a BookCrossing book. When someone else picks it up, they're supposed to read it, then drop it off somewhere else. The site provides tracking information so you can hunt for books or find out where a book you've found has been. Very cool, I thought, and I even had extra copies of a couple books. I promptly forgot about it until last night when I found a BookCrossing book in my complex's laundry room! I was inspired! When I got back home, I printed out two forms, taped them to the books and let 'em go. Felt really good. I worry they may end up in the lost 'n found, so I kinda tried to hide them in plain view, one in the laundry room (worked the first time after all), and the other next to the arm of a couch in one of the University Union lounges.

It's a neat project and I hope some of you join me. If you're a collector or the type who keeps all your books shrinkwrapped, this might seem almost blasphemous, but I see it as a sharing of the wealth. It's like Where's George, but with a medium that actually has intrinsic value.

Here is the original thread. Since those of you who post in this thread seem avid readers, I felt it appropriate to pass the idea of bookcrossing along.

Incidentally, I'm releasing my first book in Oxford, today! :)

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've heard about that thing. Sounds neat. :D

I forgot to mention, what with all the chaos of being promoted, that I finished The Grapes of Wrath and just started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. Quite nice, so far.

10. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    Cathedral by Nelson DeMille. Gotta love IRA terrorists...

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    everyone in silico by Jim Munroe.

12. ratherkissawookie

ratherkissawookie Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2002
    The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

13. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    The Giver by Lois Lowry.

14. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

15. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

STACY-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    i am reading obasan for english, but i am reading hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and the two towers for pleasure. i am actually thinking of writting a book--heh sounds like another one of my random ideas that i toss around i my head and think it is a great idea but never really do it bcuz i am too lazee. but granted it would be a good book if it was written down-i think.

~~Lady Legolas~~

16. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

Aug 6, 2001
    hey ratherkissawookie what is simillarion(sp?) about?

~~Lady Legolas~~

17. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    It is about the Elvish lore of the Lord of the Rings (Tolkien's) realm :)

18. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    Jon_ Snow, so tell me, what happens next? BTW, is there a Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread

What, and spoil it? [face_mischief] Let?s just say that a lot of characters die, in a variety of interesting circumstances. And some characters live, thanks to a variety of interesting circumstances. Reading Storm of Swords, there were a couple of times where I had to put the book down in amazement. Tyrion?s last scene in particular is a memorable one.

The Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread can be found here.

19. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

Aug 6, 2001
    Thanx RMCOY! [face_love] oh and btw very awesome banner--now the amphitheatre is the best looking board on tfn.net not that it ever was not the best.

~~Lady Legolas~~

20. Dinoforce

Dinoforce Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Jon_Snow,
    Thanks for pointing out the thread. I think George R. R. Martin's writing is incredible, and he weaves such a dense and unpredictable story that it is impossible to speculate on what may happen.
    I know about the deaths and am trying to read the chapter about the Red Wedding. I just can't bring myself to read about another Stark tragedy. Martin kills characters right and left and the 'bad' guys seem to be winning all the time. I certainly hope that in the next book, A Feast for Crows, that the Starks get reunited (what's left of them) and tragedy strikes the Lannisters.

21. Master_Tag_Logan

Master_Tag_Logan Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2002
    I'm reading LotR the fellowship of the ring right now, Dutch version though and it's probaply slightly different then the English version, but those are minor details.

I've red trough some of the reply's posted here, and i must say some books really sound intresting. So i checked the library website from my village, but they had none :( too bad. And buying books here is pretty expensive too, so.. KaZaa!!

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    What are you thinking of The Hunt for Red October? Personally, I found Clancy's style just a tad too wordy. The movie I thought had much better pacing.

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    The movie I thought had much better pacing.

Not to mention Poledouris' fantastic score. :D And Sean Connery. 8-}

24. Master_Tag_Logan

Master_Tag_Logan Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2002
    Personally, i think that the movie beats the book. I finished the book in three days, normally i'm not a book fanatic or such a thing, but this book swallowed me whole ;)

Though at some points i have to admit that the book is more exciting, because of your imagination.

25. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I dont really have an opinion on Hunt for Red October. Its been ok so far but i'm only like 60 pages into it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.