main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DarthHaskett, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    This is a thread to discuss and recommend good books you have come across. Post whatever you are currently reading or what you have read in the past that you think people would enjoy.

No Harry Potter posts here, please. Use the HP thread for that.

I am reading Eldest by Christopher Paolini, right now. It's very LOTR/Star Wars/Convenitonal Fantasty but it's still pretty good. It's the second book in the Inheritance trilogy. The first was Eragon which was slow at first but got good towards the end. Too much travelling in that one.

I also enjoyed the Hitchhiker's Guide books.

My favorite "regular" author is John Irving. I've read nearly all of his books.

Oh, and if you don't mind that it's a kid's series, I like the Artemis Fowl books. They are really cleverly written. The author is Eoin Colfer, I think that's what his name is at least.

2. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks for starting this, DH!

I'm in a mystery book reading group, so I read a lot of mysteries! Just finished Kate White's book If Looks Could Kill. Very good first novel (she avoided the kitchen sink syndrome of many first-time writers), and it's also very humorous.

I also read all the Star Wars books, of course. Just finished The Unseen Queen. Quite the disappointing series.

I'm waiting for the latest Doris Kearns Goodwin book, her biography of Abraham Lincoln. Can't wait.

I'm in the midst of reading the Flix series by Alan Dean Foster. Really, really good. Flix is an interesting character -- he's a telepath, just discovering his powers. Plus his best friend is a poisonous mini-dragon :).

I read the first Paolini book, DH, and didn't think much of it. He has the kitchen sink syndrome, and definitely could have used a better editor. So, haven't delved into the second one.

And I really want to read the Artemix Fowl books, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Also just read the first Robert Jordan book in The Wheel of Time series. What a doorstop. Don't know that I'm up to reading the remaining 11 books <g>.

Finally, I absolutely adore the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It is a wonderfully fantasy world, populated with warrior mice and evil vermin, military-style hares, otters, moles and a giant badger and, well, they are just terrific.

3. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I am not reading anything "fun" right now because I have a lot of reading for my classes, but over the summer I read Little Dorrit and Nicholas Nickelby by Charles Dickens, and Vanity Fair by William Thackeray. All very good books if you like that style of writing, which I do.

4. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    The Redwall series started to bore me. They were super predictable and spent way too much time on food. I have a bunch that I'm ready to give away if anyone (JN) wants them (paperbacks).

NP, you have to find time to read regular books on your off time. The only "classic" book I found very disturbing was "Lady Chatterly's Lover". I still get the willies from that one.

5. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I finished Eldest. I didn't think it was as good as Eragon.

6. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Hustler

7. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    I haven't read Lady Chatterly's Lover yet so I guess I'll stay away from that one. :p

I hope to read Les Miserables over Christmas break but that is probably far too ambitious. Maybe that'll be a summer project.

8. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Well I have to read Beloved and Mansfield Park right now.
    I'll have to start Moll Flanders soon as well. Besides the anthologiesed short stories and plays I need to read as well. Its been a while since I read a book for fun. I've never had so much to read in a semester that I can't read what I want.

Now a list of my favorite books will take some time so I'll post that at a later date.

9. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I've tried to finish Les Miserables but can't. It's so boring. Speaking of boring books, the novelization of ROTS was so boring I could not finish it. Sorry. Don't throw me out.

10. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    I agree with you, DH. The ROTS novelization is very boring.

I am currently reading Tatooine Ghost and The Cinema of George Lucas.

11. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    ROTS was the last book I attempted to read. It's very boring. It felt like I read half the book, but they are still in the opening battle sequence. I stopped reading it.

12. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    :_| I liked it!
    i admit that I did skip some parts of the book, technical parts and such,but I liked it alot.

I'm waiting for the Vader one to come out.

13. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I liked it too. Guess you have to be in college to like it.

14. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    I like the book better than the movie. Things are much more believable. But then, I am also used to reading the EU so maybe the "boring" stuff doesn't faze me as much.

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Last year I read all of the Horatio Hornblower books (C.S. Forester). I enjoyed most of them but I thought the ending was a bit cheesy. I still liked them though.

Oh, and the "DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown was really good. I'm looking forward to that movie.

Oh, and the Chronicles of Narnia series is very good though I have mixed feelings about that ending also.

16. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Wow, ES you're right. So far it's the FEMALE COLLEGE students that liked the novelization.

Weird.

17. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
  18. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm reading a book on writing and a book on the history of infinity. <--- Yes, it's about math. I am a geek. I've had the latest SW book half open on the night-stand for a few weeks and haven't returned to it. Yawn. And I've just started a novel by my friend Steve Niles and I'm happy to see that it's good. A weird thing about me: I usually read three to four books concurrently. I think it's a habit left over from college.

19. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    Can I borrow the book about infinity? :-B seriously, fellow math geek here.

20. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I can tell you how that book ends. It doesn't it goes on and on and on.

21. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Wasn't it written by the Energizer Bunny?

22. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm reading the message boards now and I must say the story is going no where and the characters are all weak especially this Skyryder dude.

23. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    In an attempt to grow as a person, I decided to get a library card so that I could check out books and contribute to this thread.

I started with the LA County because there is a branch near work, but on my way home I'll also stop by the one in Sherman Oaks because it is a city one and looks a little better. At least they have a better web page.

24. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    SR, there is a lovely one in Studio City at the corner of Laurel Canyon and Moorpark. I know it's a lovely one because I was involved in the design and construction. Of course I haven't been back since then. It's kind of small but as I said, lovely. It was designed by an architect friend of mine.

25. CountDuku3126

CountDuku3126 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Chronicles of Naria is an awesome series. I have read just about all of them and I think I should read them again before the movie comes out. Oh I also just finished the Last Command. I thought that that was a pretty good book. Get way to contiue with the Star Wars. But I don't know what book comes next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.