main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What are you thinking RIGHT NOW?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthAstuart, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    It wasn't just you ....last night's Angel did suck....big time....

I am real disappointed that SMG could not take time out from making yet another lame movie to be on one of the last of the shows.....am also disappointed that they don't seem to be heading in any direction for closure of the "powers that be" issues of redemption...and making Angelus human....nor of what the massive apocalypse is that Wolfram and Hart are into....
    and the issue of Buffy and Angel as a whole...I guess I had hoped for a little "happily ever after"...but since that rarely happens in real life...why do it....

and I agree on the story line with Illyria...it is quite interesting.....

the one thing I will say is that I thought some of the moments between Spike and Angel were funny....but of course...there were just too many of them.......but the story was a big zero....

2. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm a few episodes behind on Angel but I'm also disappointed in the way things are going. I'm upset that they've decided to pursue this Illyria thing--something that MIGHT be interesting as part of a full season--with so few episodes left in the series. What's the point? Why not write a new character that could be just as powerful? For fans who've invested time in Fred as a character, it's kind of a slap to take her away as the show draws toward its conclusion.

as it is, we get yet another fish-out-of-water, Anya II. and yet another Obsessed Wesley Arc (TM).

Steve DeKnight (episode writer for last night's angel) claims on the Bronze Beta board that Gellar was NEVER considered to be part of the ep. (Dawn was originally supposed to take Andrew's place, but Trachtenburg was too busy...why they somehow think Andrew's presence qualifies as a worthy "guest star" from Buffy is beyond me, as he's little more than a one-joke cypher to me.)

Anyway, I think it would have been better with Gellar...if you're trying to touch on the Buffy/Spike/Angel thing one more time, why do it without the point of the damn triangle?

3. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    true...
    he would not have been my first choice...
    but....
    the one thing about Andrew being and playing the part he did was actually kind of neat...when you figure out what a nerdy...juvenile...loser he was....
    and found his way to move on....as the last scene with him showed...
    I found it kinda deep ....in a strange way...

I am sad to see the series go....Buffy and Angel were the ONLY two shows that I actually went out of my way to watch....
    last year Angel was really crappy....but I have really liked the series this year...

looks like I won't be watching ANY television anymore...

4. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    > I thought some of the moments between Spike and >Angel were funny....but of course...there were just >too many of them

My thoughts exactly, and I think the first clue that Ms. Skeletor was originally supposed to be part of the episode. That, plus the fact that I don't think they would have even made Buffy part of the story if they hadn't planned (or at least hoped) that SMG would do a guest shot. The series' writers obviously aren't lacking for ideas this season, and without Buffy, this ep is pure filler; not something you schedule for the third-to-last episode of the season (let alone the series.) Overall, last night's ep was everything Angel (the series and the character) had previously shed in order to distance itself from Buffy. Too bad, really.

It's disappointing when the high points of an episode are an H*R T-shirt sighting and some lovely cleavage.

>as it is, we get yet another fish-out-of-water, Anya >II

I have to disagree. Illyria's been given the odd one-liner (keeping Spike as a pet, etc) but her alienation is being handled with a much more somber and reflective tone. Fred's dead, unfortunately, but I'm pretty impressed both with the writers' ability to boldly eliminate a character while clerverly finding a way to keep the actor, as well as Amy Acker's terrific switch in acting style. Never once to I see Fred in Illyria's eyes, and last night her voice and manner switched flawlessly between Fred and Illyria in the same shot (as her parents' back is turned and she's talking to Wesley.)

I'm also a little puzzled by what seems to be a lack of focus for the second half of the season... will everything be wrapped up? Is the series finale going to be the end of Angel's story, or will those constant rumors of tv movies turn out to be true?

What am I thinking right now? I'm thinking I may have to find a place to watch that Smile Time episode again.

-Le Penguin
    "Do you have hair gel? What am I saying; of course you do."

5. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Well, without spoiling the ending that I've since spoiled for myself, I can tell you that the ending of the final episode is meant to finalize some individual storylines, but is SUPPOSED to be a cliff-hanger (i.e Farscape's abrupt but agonizing "To Be Continued" finale). I believe what I read about the final episode, the problem however is that Joss Whedon loves sending fans off on wild tangents with false info on his show's storylines.

6. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    "Oh, dear, Richard the Third."

7. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I hope (and pray) that the series finale for Frasier is better than the ending for Friends.

~H~

8. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    We have some new summer drink at Starbucks that's essentially a mix of tea and lemonade. It has a complicated multi-word name that's a pain to say over and over again, but the store manager didn't go for my suggestion that we nickname the drink "the R. Kelly."

Maybe "the Moises Alou" would be more appropriate for this year.

-Le Penguin
    "Where did you go, Joe DiMaggio?"

9. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    we'll have to agree to disagree (again) on illyria and anya, pengy. i get the somber thing but her character still treads too closely to anya for my tastes.

maybe if they had more time to develop this the right way, instead of shoehorning it into the end of the series...and who knows if we'll ever know whether the shoehorning was a victim of the cancellation or whether whedon actually thought cramming all this into so few episodes was a good way to close out Angel.

i've also heard that the final ep will end with a cliffhanger...and again, i'm not sure how i feel about it. it's definitely a ballsy move, but at the same time, I think the show deserves better. like buffy, it deserves an end to its story and a reaffirmation of its mandate/theme/whatevah.

10. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    I also would like to see Angel come to a solid -if premature- end.

Don't forget, tho: Buffy's ending was satisfactory only if one viewed the last 45 seconds of the episode, not the 40 minutes of tripe that preceded it.

I'd go on and on about "what I'd like to see happen...", but I'm late for work and the dog still needs to poop. More later.

-Le Penguin
    "Works in theory."

11. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I am thinking I wish I were brave enough to wear a beret (raspberry or otherwise)

12. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I think I'd rather be snorkling.

Paisley Goes With Nothing- A Man's Guide to Style has this to say about men wearing berets:

"Don't wear them unless you were there."

I think he means France...or the military...maybe both.

13. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    It's not a beret, it's a Tudor cap. You can tell by the wide brim and the feathers....

14. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Damn I was so close to... never mind!

15. Rabid__Wolverine2004

Rabid__Wolverine2004 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2004
    trying to think of some new rymez for a demo tape im putting together.

so far i have 10 recorded im shooting for 14 but it may change.

16. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Col. Mike Kirby picks two teams of crack Green Tudor Caps for a mission in South Vietnam. First off is to build and control a camp that is trying to be taken by the enemy the second mission is to kidnap a North Vietnamese General.

See John Wayne in: The Green Tudor Caps

17. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    "It's like John Wayne doing Hamlet! <Duke>Is this a dagger I see before me?</Duke>"

18. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Anyone following hockey in the past ten years knows how badly fans in this city have been screwed out of good players by the 'hawks owners. The Flyers, playing in the Eastern Conference Finals as we speak, havea line made up of Jeremy Roenick, Tony Amonte, and Alex Zhamnov... all former players here in Chicago. The team has unofficially dubbed the line "Blackhawk Down."

Bill Wirtz must die.

-Le Penguin,
    not even a Blackhawks fan, really. It's just sad to see a team suck so bad

19. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Im wondering exactly who Rabid Wolverine is, and If I know him(or her)...

20. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Blackhawk Down. [face_laugh]

Yeah.....look at all the players that weren't good enough to be Hawks: Belfour, Hasek, Sullivan, Chelios, McAmmond, Simon..... Too long a list really.

21. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    "It's too late. You've awakened the gazebo. It catches you and eats you."

22. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Alan King we hardly knew ye.

23. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Back to The Unofficial Angel Thread...

>
    >
    >
    >
    [spoiler space]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Second to last episode tonight, and a damn fine one. At first I was put off by the speed with which the "is he bad or not" theme was resolved, but I realize they've done that before, and overall I'm glad they kept cruising along instead of dicking around with the audience and other characters.

I continue to be amused/impressed/intrigued by Illyria. It's really too bad there isn't mroe time to explore her transition into this world. Tho maybe that's for the best, since familiarity on Whedon shows tends to breed whimsy. Then I'd have to agree with DarthA, and no one wants that.

The trailer for next week's final episode (one hour for a series finale while "Charmed" gets two hours for their season finale!? I lust after Rose McGowan as much as the next stalker, but the level of unfair here is sickening) mentions that one of the team will not survive. Personally, it feels like several of them won't survive; but if I had to pick one, I'm goin' with Wesley. His transformation from pansy tightass to pansy to misguided black sheep to quiet Jack Bristow-esque hardass has been great to watch, but now he's just a shell (a well-written shell, but a shell nonetheless.) If he survives, I can't imagine he'll be happy about it.

One lingering question... did Angel really kill that "Aragorn" guy? If so, isn't that a pretty heavy sacrifice to make?

-Le Penguin
    "I'm in."

24. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Where?s my Super Weapon Mom, I know I left here some were!

25. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    I gotta admit....last night's episode left large question marks floating above my head...but I have been sick...and on meds...so maybe that was contributing to the "fuzziness" of my head....

A one hour finale just sux...
    I have a bad feeling that the series will end in a way that I ain't gonna like....
    and since the series is ending....does it really matter who gets dusted?

I think an Angel discussion group will be in order at the Anniversary Party on Saturday....the flightless bird has announced that he will be in attendance...it will be nice to meet you btw....introduce yourself...I will be dressed as an Imperial Officer...

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.