main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What are you wanting to see from Star Wars in 2018? (Minor Canon spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by UnshavenWookie14, Jan 1, 2018.

1. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    There were some good ideas shared in the thread about what mini comic series people wanted to see. So since it’s New Year’s Day I figured it would be fitting to open the discussion to the entire EU. What do would you like to see put in production in 2018? Or what projects that are set for publication this year are you really looking forward too?

I’m not sure how far in advance different media types are announced, but I was a little surprised to see that the only novel currently scheduled is Thrawn: Alliances. At least that’s the only one I’ve noticed so far. Personally, novels are my preferred content. Once a month or so I’ll sit down and catch up on the comics, and the short stories have been great lately (other than being extremely difficult to get a hold of/have a steep price tag for the subscription that ensures you get each copy). But personally I’ve always been a novel reader, so I hope that Del Rey announces some new projects soon. I️ am absolutely looking forward to the alliances novel though. I know people have issues with the new cannon, but I will say that since Disney took over any story lines with Vader have been gold. At least for me anyways haha. Lords of the Sith, Tarkin, Vader Down crossover, the Vader comic series, and the ongoing Dark Lords of the Sith have all been on point for this reader. So I am hopeful that trend continues.

Going back to short stories for a second... Id be interested if Del Rey we’re to put these in a collected product sold together. The samplers give us some, but other wise I just get to enjoy a nice bit of story telling at the end of my novels. With all the content you have to pick and choose where to send your dollars, and I haven’t been able to justify the subscription for the short stories alone.

Also excited to see the conclusion to rebels. I think we all kind of know what coming (because I mean it kind of has to), but I’m pretty interested/curious as to how they go about doing it.

Idk if it’s necessarily a canon ‘entry’, but I am really intrigued by the secrets of the empire VR attractions. Not going to take a trip to Orlando or California just for that, but we usually take a family trip to Disney/Universal every 8-10 years and we’re almost due for one. So I will be keeping an eye on reports for this attraction.

I am hopefully optimistic about the Solo film in May. While the ST has been ok but not exactly great, I thought RO was an exciting entry for what Star Wars can do with the stand alone films. So I will probably be going to my second Star Wars premier within six months when this drops.

Most of the announced content for 2018 so far seems to be made up of content aimed at younger and newer fans, or stories that are being repackaged to milk more money out of them. examples being novels getting comic adaptions, getting novelizations adaptions, and JR adaptions. I will be interested to check out the Thrawn adaption, but like I said earlier... my content medium of choice is a novel so I won’t have much interest in adaptions if they go crazy with it. I will probably check out the adaptions they’re doing for the younger fan books. Stuff like smugglers run that I probably wouldn’t read in its current form (I like some of the YA novels, but those little black hardback books are to watered down for my taste). Hopefully the artwork is makes those entries worth digging into once they’re adapted.

I know a whole lot of 2018 content hasn’t even been announced yet, so feel free to speculate. Just seemed like a good day to start a thread for what Star Wars Fans would like to see in 2018.

...oh and can I get a dosage of Jedi? Please. I think heir to the Jedi is the only novel that can sort of claim a focus on Jedi, but even that is thin. Other than a few mini comics we haven’t gotten much Jedi in site from Disney with the New Canon. Some good Sith entries, but other than luke occasionally working through obiwans journal in the Star Wars comics, I haven’t been able to grow my knowledge in the ways of the Jedi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J_K_DART likes this.
  2. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    End of rebels should be excellent and in can see a TLJ connection somewhere along the line here.

Also more new republic novels to build on bloodline. And perhaps some guidance on just how the first order were able to control large parts of the unknown regions and act as the Empire did with planet stripping without the Senate knowing etc.

So basically a bloodline sequel lol

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Maybe not a Bloodline sequel but a 'prequel' to Bloodline seems something they should do. Set in the New Republic between the end of Aftermath and the start of Bloodline - that's a quarter century that doesn't really have a lot that would limit them as long as they stay away from Luke, Ben, the Jedi, Snoke, etc. Do something equivalent to the Black Fleet or Corellian trilogies of the Bantam era - the New Republic confronting a threat that's on a local scale and has nothing to do with the wider threat of the dark side, Empire/First Order, etc.

Jedi Princess and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Something like that would be quite useful. It would show us more details on how the New Republic operated and how they dealt with threats. This should provide an idea on their capabilities, and the likely way they'd have responded to the FO if not for the destruction of the Hosnian System. If they wanted to they could easily pull Han and Leia into such a story and I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to bring in Luke without contradicting other sources.

For new content, I'd love some stories between the OT and ST. Stories about Luke and Ben, Snoke, or just an adventure with the big three would be nice. I doubt we will get multiple stories about these things this year, but one would be nice. Honestly, anything with Luke in this era would be exciting. Also I want some more stories pre- Jakku, a book focused in Operation Cinder or the battles for Naboo would be important. Especially the latter since it seems separate from Rax's campaign, but it has also been set up to be a large event.

I'd also like to see Inferno Squad back, and even Twilight Company. They both have a lot of potential stories to tell. These stories have great characters, my hope is that stories about these stories become like a NEU version of the X-Wing books.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  5. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    I would like a making of the prequels books to go with the other excellent ones and maybe a special editions one. I would also like some more of the un made clone wars content books, comics im happy with anything :)

6. Darth Holmes

Darth Holmes Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2017
    I think something pre-Republic would be a lot of fun. Bring in more of the Sith folklore into the story. I’m reading the Lost Tribe of the Sith books and they are fascinating. I’d definitely like to see something more on the early histoof the dark side. So much has been done on the Jedi- let’s have 2018 as a dark year.

7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    High quality Star Wars content.

Oh, I should be more specific? Ok then:

- At the very least a comic miniseries, if not an ongoing comic series by classic SW comic creators: Ostrander & Duursema, JJM, Wheatley, Bechko & Hardman
    - A Luceno novel
    - A Paul S. Kemp novel
    - More Legends characters, lore and even stories re-canonized
    - More Legends!
    - A good finale to Rebels
    - The Solo standalone being a good movie
    - The team behind the fan made "A Star Wars Comic" getting official jobs by LFL

8. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    This is a quality wish list. You got so specific so fast the first thing I thought of was... [​IMG]

spicer likes this.
  9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm of the mind that the Clone Wars era should be left alone for a while (meaning both stories set there and constantly going back to the characters from TCW) but I would make an exception for the Yuuzhan Vong episode ideas to see the light of day somehow.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  10. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I would like to see some of the Aftermath characters (specifically Sinjir) to show up in the Sequel Trilogy era, whether in a book or a comic. I'd also like to see a continuation of Sloane's
    story in the First Order.

Micro_Chip, Endor_boy and KamNale like this.
  11. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    You do get snap with Poe’s comics. Pretty sure he’s wing manning Poe in TFA also.

I absolutely loved the dynamics and individual relationships the Aftermath squad gave use. Honestly this was probably the best developed ‘team’ since the OT introduced us to the Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, R2, and 3PO. I hope they do more novel trilogies/series like this. I really enjoyed the character development and the extremely diverse cast of characters that initially seemed to have nothing in common. The series spanning 3 books really helped the in that regard. A lot of Star Wars entries have tried to develop their main characters group dynamics like Aftermath and the OT did, but it’s hard to do in a stand alone entry. As fans we need to see a certain amount of time pass with the team going through hell and back before we can accept the authenticity of a groups intimacies. And example being RO. For me, I loved everything about RO, including the team that was compiled for the story. I even accepted that Jyn had found belonging with the rebellion relatively quickly. And then Baze Malbus puts his hand on Jyns shoulder and calls her ‘little sister’ after having little dialogue between the two the whole film. Much less meaningful dialogue. I just kind of went ‘ehhhh’ and let it pass because I get that it’s hard to get multiple characters at that level with multiple team members in one movie. Just not enough time.

If I have one complaint about the novels, it’s that it takes me about 50 pages to get re invested with all new characters every time. The growing intertwining web of interactions with characters from things I’ve read previously helps. But even then it’s more like running into an acquaintance at a bar while your leaving. You say hey and that’s about it. I really enjoy the novels, and haven’t had an issue once I get into the novel with new characters. Just saying I enjoyed the series approach and would welcome another production in the same form.

12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    at the top of the list has to be a satisfying ending to Rebels, which Filoni and the team have been promising.

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    especially if they did a mini-NJO between VI and VII

maybe young Ben Solo can be kidnapped and tortured by Vergere

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  14. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    More legends. I agree. And yes, I know I'm delusional.

I'd like a Padme novel. A lando novel.
    A novel about the unknown regions
    Maybe another thrawn novel where Zahn can reintroduce Mara jade.

And I know it would ripoff the EU, but giving Ben solo a wife and child he's protecting the Galaxy for would be an interesting if unoriginal twist.

Endor_boy likes this.
  15. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    * A Stover novel (never going to happen :(
    * A Karpashyn novel (highly unlikely)
    *Quinlan Vos vs Darth Vader
    *Return of the Yuuzhan Vong
    *Epic satisfying conclusion to Rebels
    *A bit more info on Snoke
    *Finding out what happened to the Inquisitors program in between 3 BBY-2 BBY

spicer and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    We're actually getting another Thrawn novel. Mara Jade will almost certainly not be in it, but there you go.

17. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    Why would stover never happen?

18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    -Announcement of the new animated series which at this point really should be between the OT and ST. I wasn't sure if this would be viable until the ST ended, but I believe TLJ signaled that the films are done with backstory, which is fine by me. Whether this show should be a TCW-style anthology or a focused serial about Luke, Ben and the Academy I couldn't say -- unless Mark's onboard to provide the voice acting for Luke, in which case, the latter.
    - Novel or series of novels detailing the origins of Snoke. I don't know if I'd read this or just follow the detailed synopses, I would just like to see it happen so those who feel cheated out of this part of the backstory can enjoy it, and the fan community can have at least one more reason to chill.
    -Comics moving more into the OT to ST timeframe and gaps getting filled in.
    -Super wish-listy things that come from conversations with my daughters about PT/TCW and earlier stuff that would be cool to see, particularly Qui-Gon / Obi-Wan stories and specifically a novel detailing their time protecting Satine. *If* the Obi-Wan film is a go, I realize we may be, appropriately, waiting until then to get this stuff.
    -No interest in continued Legends stuff, but I can't imagine that would happen in any case.
    -And, of course, good Rebels finale, good Solo film, ancillary media connecting up the lore -- that would be great.

Beyond 2018, I await the conclusion of the ST and the Kenobi film, if it happens, because I think at that point we should see a bonanza of reference material stitching everything from the timeframe of the Saga films together and I honestly can't wait for that. Whatever comes after really should by all means be its own thing.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

20. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I wonder what happened. No details on the divorce

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well the last book he wrote was delivered very late. And that was nearly a decade ago.

He has gone MIA on social media since February, so he's hopefully writing something, although maybe he's retired from writing?

22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Just Snoke's backstory please. End it.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  23. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    You know, I really wouldn’t be surprised if we got another rebels show, but placed between the OT and ST. So we’d see the FO rise up and get to see the differences in how they rebuilt. This would be interesting to me, bc one thing the novels show that hardly ever seen on screen or is that the empire kinda had some points: obviously Palpatine was evil, but which side citizens of the galaxy signed up with often was simply a result of chance and ones own experiences. Did the rebellion or the empire kill some one you cared about first?

I’d like to have the other side of the coin shown like that on screen. That might not work for an animated series though. Since it’s on Disney channel they probably don’t want to illustrate to younger viewers that life isn’t black and white. Maybe not the best audience for showing the grey areas in life haha

24. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I'm pretty sure we're going to get the Solo movie equivalent of Catalyst in April. I just hope it's a decent read. I'm most interested in Woody Harrelson's character and I'd like to get a bit of an introduction to him before the movie.

I'm looking forward to Alliance and the Padme novel. I hope that Claudia Gray is writing Padme. In fact, I'd like to see a couple of novels by Gray.

I would really enjoy some Clone Wars era novels, but I realise that isn't too likely.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  25. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I agree I hope CG does the Padme novel, she owns Leia and could do wonders with Padme. Personally, I need to do some catching up this year on novels/comics I missed. I am looking forward to the Thrawn mini that's out...in Feb? Rebels S4 should be awesome, can't wait for that and I'm really looking forward to the Catalyst-esque Solo novel (and of course the movie itself). It'd be nice to get more post ROTJ stuff in any format as well.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.