main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What are you wanting to see from Star Wars in 2018? (Minor Canon spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by UnshavenWookie14, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    He told me years ago on twitter that he was likely never coming back

2. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    So I guess he's no longer waiting on jakku...
    :-(

But! There is someone who still could.
    Kevin j Anderson

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    is that you in the tweet I posted?

also, KJA for Stover?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    This has to be the most depressing thing I've ever read on these boards :(

mnjedi and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    A book (or more)/comic series about Luke training Ben Solo and their adventures together, leading into his academy. Also used to flesh out the future Knights of Ren characters.

This is more like a dream that will never be fulfilled, but I wish after Rebels is over, TCW is finished in animation before moving onto the next animated series. More content in the PT era is welcome (perhaps also introducing more comics set between Episode 1 and 2).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm more depressed that he's been MIA on social media.

Supposedly he was writing something under a pseudonym, crime fiction I believe, but I have no idea if that got published or under what name. I hope he's still writing.

7. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    That's even worse! Even if he's not writing Star Wars, he needs to write. Hands down my favourite author.

8. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    No. It was a different tweet. He said he wouldn't come back unless LucasFilm gave him a tub of money.

9. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Who dat?

10. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    Whatever comes out, I just want it to line up the movies, the NuCanon and everything nicely. But really, I need more Snoke.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I want Solo to reveal that Han Solo is the true Chosen One (he killed Palpatine remember) but he rejects the Force entirely like Cade through the course of the film.

And this is why the mighty Kylo Ren is so powerful.

12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    A comic book miniseries adaptation of Darth Plagueis, correcting for canon.

13. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    That'd be cool. I see w/Tarkin, Thrawn, etc. some background being filled...having this piece of VITAL info canonized is important.

14. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    My (very unlikely) dream has always been a comic series that adapted Plagueis, Cloak of Deception, and the Maul novels while blending in new material. I guess now it would also include chunks of Tarkin.

But realistically... I remain convinced that a Dooku novel or comic is coming. I definitely hope the Padme book isn’t a hoax. I think a Wedge miniseries from Marvel would be great. I hold out for my inevitable Aphra/Lando crossover.

Slightly more realistic than paragraph 1, but less than paragraph 2: a Kylo Ren adventure in the First Order’s conquest of the Unknown Regions. A story of intrigue between Imperial warlords in the Endor-Jakku period where one person realizes Rax is playing them but nobody listens. More Obi-Wan & Anakin.

Out of left field: canon Ssi-Ruuk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    A Luceno-style Dooku novel would be awesome and I also hope this Padme novel isn't a hoax....that'd a major bummer. I'd also like to see Obi-Wan on Tatooine but can wait until the movie for that.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    I agree, but I’d be a little surprised if they used a miniseries as the tool for initial re-entry to canon. It’s a character that legends readers all (mostly anyways) want to see reintroduced at some point,l. So they know they have a character that tests well with their audience, and a Sith storyline organically positioned and available.

They can’t reintroduce the sith going forward without largely undermining the significance and overtones of ROTJ. So their only option would be a story before the prequels. And Plagueis is a cannon character with ties to familiar characters. Not to mention he has an untold story line with room to maneuver widely in their telling.

So in short I agree with you entirely that I want to see him explored (and think he will be). Ultimately, however, I doubt the story board goes 50 years further into the past than the earliest cannon entry just to throw down a five book mini series that could create future road blocks as the timeline fills out. I think he’s more likely to get a stand alone, maybe a live-action, or at the very least a novel series detailing his character.

17. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    I would also love if Del Rey/Random House did an additional Tarkin printing. I won’t even think about buying hardbacks for my collection unless this gets a reprint or I stumble across an affordable one.

They have to see the prices Tarkin is going for online (I know that listing a price doesn’t mean a seller is gonna get that price). Seems like someone would say ‘Hey! Obviously supply didn’t hit demand the first print. By doing a second print we could tap into a revenue stream that was not initially exhausted.’

Even if they did an advanced preorder only print. they could significantly mark up the asking price, and still be a far better option than the $200-$300 listings.

I think that they turned some collectors away from hardbacks early bc of the Tarkin novel. Sure a lot of people still get hardbacks, but collectors are the ones that will loyally purchase every title in the collection.

And on top of all that it wouldn’t entirely cripple the value of Tarkin books out now. Sure a second printing would decrease the value, but they’d still have the First Edition, First print and whatever else gives value to the books. It’s just to early the Tarkin release for the book to be listed for 10x it’s initial value already. I’m surprised the publishers haven’t noticed that they have a potential chance for profit here.

If you can’t tell... all my other book collections hate hardback but I wasn’t going to pay 250$ for a single title just to finish a collection; so for now I’m just going With the mass market paperbacks, and it irks me haha

18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm going to start with my one negative (and rather crummy, sorry) wish for the year. I'd like Marvel to reduce the amount of issues that Larroca draws in the Star Wars ongoing. I've grown to really hate his art, and that's in great part due to the saturation. He's done more issues on Marvel Star Wars than all of the other artists combined, and at this point probably more than any other artist did during the Dark Horse days. Can we please get a fresh start?

Other items on my wish list for 2018:
    • Another Claudia Gray novel - she's my favourite so far. I'll let her pick!
    • A continuation of the Poe Dameron comic ongoing - this is pretty much confirmed from Soule's twitter but has not been formally announced; it could be that this undergoes a title change or a reset like Vade. Honestly, this has been my favourite comic of the Marvel era and the only one I have bought all the issues for.
    • Kylo Ren comic mini-series - now that more of his backstory has been revealed, I hope we get more 'access' to this pretty great character allowing more stories to be told (also a great way to provide information about Snoke and the First Order).
    • A capital ship/fleet action-based story - either comic or novel form. Raddus, Ackbar, or Dodonna as featured characters, take your pick. (I'd usually say Wedge Antilles, but I'm aware that such a series would be repetitive with Poe).
    • More DLC missions/chapters in Battlefront 2 with Iden Versio and her Inferno Squad (both Imperial and Rebel versions). I wasn't blown away by the Resurrection chapter (thanks mostly to the trailer spoiling the two biggest story surprises), but I would like to see and play more.
    • News (or even better, episodes) of a new animated TV show set after ROTJ, featuring Mark Hamil as the voice of Luke Skywalker, done in 2D style.

19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I don't know when we'd get the next animated show, but after the events in TLJ, an animated show featuring Luke with Mark voicing him seems like the best bet.

20. I want more comics but with good writing
    I miss the time when Dark Horse had the Star Wars license

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    To be fair to Marvel, they do have some realy good series going on, but not all. As for getting back the Dark Horse quality level? Simple, Marvel should hire some of the talent that worked on SW for Dark Horse.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The solicit didn't have the words 'final issue' did it? It was purely the plot that gave cause to think it was winding up.

23. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    A comic adaptation of Shatterpoint, adjusting for/retconning Depa's canon backstory. (I mean her troopers in the Kanan comic were called Rostu Squad!)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Revanfan1, Dr. Steve Brule and spicer like this.
  24. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    No, it didn't:

"It's the end of an era for Poe Dameron. With the Resistance and the First Order on a collision course and his mission to find Lor San Tekka nearly at an end, the force of Poe's destiny draws him on toward an awakening…"

It seems issue 25 will end essentially at the beginning of TFA. They could end the comic series there, but I hope (and believe) it will continue. If it does, I think the next arc will be showing how Poe got back to the Resistance after crashing on Jakku. After that, if we're really lucky, we might get some post TLJ content. Episode IX's script will be long finished at that point, so if there's a time jump, the comic writers can continue the series without stepping on toes.

25. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    1. Dooku novel penned by Luceno
    2. Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan adventure
    3. Luke adventure 1-5 years after ROTJ
    4. Post ROTJ TV series with Filoni at the helm.
    5. More PT content between TPM and AOTC.