main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What are your fears for the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by InterestingLurker, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Earth is exasperating? What's wrong with Earth being in Star Wars?

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I am not counting on Earth making an appearance. With humans living a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away from ours, the only angle that they could really do is the exact same thing that Battlestar Galactica did in having space-faring humans settle Earth. And the moment you establish something like that, you kill the future for any future stories. I mean, what? They continuing adventures in a galaxy ... that is ours... with the great, great, great, great [...] descendant of Anakin Skywalker fighting with spears and arrows in a war between Egypt and the Hittites?

I don't even know if I'm taking someone's joke too seriously in even addressing this.

The only place I could ever see Star Wars crossing over into the Milky Way is in some non-canon comic that does it for the novelty of it. Like I think they already did a Star Trek meets Star Wars one.

3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I hope every last one of these things happen. It would make me really happy if they stayed clear of anything from the Palpatine-Fox movies. That would be satisfying.

4. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    - The Sith are still around, completely undermining the events of ROTJ and Anakin's story arc.
    - The Empire is still around with their Superweapon of the week.
    - The Emperor gets cloned and Luke becomes his apprentice.
    - The Emperor has a 3 eyed son.
    - Introducing the Solo and Skywalker kids, only to kill half of them off.
    - Instead of following up ROTJ's ending with Leia learning the ways of the force, her status as a Jedi is ignored and she becomes a clone of Padme instead.
    - No Chewbacca in Episode 7? Sorry kids forgot to tell you he died in some novel written 15 years ago. He ain't coming back.

5. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    -Don't want Luke to be married or have kids

-I fear that the Empire will still be around in some form

-I fear that Leia will be a Jedi/Politician at the same time

-I fear that the government that the Rebels found will be led by some kind of King/Emperor (or Queen/Empress) given Lucas' tendency to give every planet nobility (Queen of Naboo, Princess of Alderaan, Archduke of Geonosis, Duchess of Mandalore, etc.)

-I fear that an all new story will serve as the "conclusion" to the saga that isn't strongly connected to the PT or OT

-I'm worried that they'll continue with the Force balance nonsense without showing any kind of tangible effect of it.

-I'm worried that the old cast will be put front and center of the story despite their age and that it might be awkward like seeing Captain Picard in a heavy action scene.

-I'm worried that there will be an oversaturation of Force ghosts. That instead of simply being guardians that helped Luke in his time of need that they'll just always be around chatting with Luke.

6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I don't think the "A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" statement at the beginning of each movie was ever meant to be taken literally.

7. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    My fear is that it won't focus solely on Kyle Katarn.

8. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” - Yoda

Julius Vernon likes this.
  9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I never said Earth was exasperating. As for Earth being in Star Wars, the reason why I don't like the idea is because:

1. People would complain on and on about how its appearance ruins the franchise or how the planet doesn't belong in Star Wars.

2. I'm afraid that the writers will use Earth stereotypes.

3. The entire planet Earth just doesn't mesh well with the Star Wars galaxy. Don't you think the whole planet would look out of place compared to the Star Wars galaxy at large?

10. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Star Wars is my favorite science fiction story. I love X-Men, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Stargate, Star Trek, but not as much as Star Wars SW. Including Earth in my favorite science fiction/fantasy story of all time would give SW a benefit that other science fiction has-Earth, a galaxy far away from Earth. I wanna know the distance between Earth and the GFFA.

I don't know what you mean by earth stereotypes.

It ruins the franchise and doesn't belong In Star Wars, doesn't mesh well, looks out of place, according to you. I disagree.

Also, what time period is SW in? It would be kind of kinda wierd for Han Solo to arrive on Earth and talk to President Bush.

11. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    That John Williams won't be around to score it. I have a tough time imagining another composer doing SW and the music is a central character in the movies.

Other than that, I really don't have any fears.

12. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I fear the pandering to fans that have lost the spirit of the films. Part of their charm has always been their hokiness. It connected them to the adventure movies of the Golden Age...an innocence and naivete that made an impression on world-weary filmgoers of the 1970's.

Now it seems we're world-weary and cynical and we like it that way.

I remember an interview/article with J.K. Rowling in which she said her books "grew up" with her readers. That's fine for her, but Star Wars was never like that. The fans grew up, the films did not.

I fear the films will grow up, in which case I can't help but lose all interest.

Darth Shibs and appleseed like this.
  13. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    That's my one real fear.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  14. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't either. Though I do recall a poll on StarWars.com (this was probably like 10 years ago or more) in which it was asking if you ever wanted to find out just how long ago in the past the Star Wars movies take place :oops:

15. codex of tython

codex of tython Jedi Knight

Nov 4, 2012
    In the opening crawl it says: "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away"
    A long time ago = maybe earth doesn't exist at that time
    in a galaxy far far away = if it already existed, maybe it's to far to reach, even when you can travel through cyberspace

16. Darth_Darkmoon

Darth_Darkmoon Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    My fear is that they will try something radically different. I hope that they stick with the iconic Star Wars-elements and with that I mean the OT-elements.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Star Destroyers and TIE-Fighters back, in fact I would be thrilled to see them again. And I would cheer at having Han, Luke, Leia and the others back, even if they only have supporting roles...

17. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree! The "hokiness" or "cheese" is what makes Star Wars Star Wars. I mean think about it. Ya got a guy in a monkey suit, a flamboyant robot, etc. and we didn't compain then. The little boy Anakin stuff I had to have patience with, and Jar Jar, (maybe it's just the equivalent today of the 'cheese') but I agree with the innocence and naivity and we are too much today about macho and being 'bad ass'. Too many Vin Diesel, the "Rock" type of stuff going on. I like the sappy, it's what made my childhood. Actually most people I know that have the 'bad ass' look, whether buffing up, or shaving their head to look tougher, etc are really insecure inside. Maybe if Jar Jar was in the original one we would overlook it like we did Chewbacca because it was so different. We are negative today.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I fear that they will listen to all the people who want nothing to change in the approach to SW, that they won't dare to attempt something new and different and just bow down to the pressure of judgement clouded by overdoses of nostalgia.

And that they overdo the cameos.

19. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    My only fear is that they will try to make eu fans happy.

TaradosGon and Healer_Leona like this.
  20. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    Seeing Han, Luke and Leia. That's my fear. Unless Luke has a brief cameo passing the tourch down as the sprit of Anakin watches on, guiding his son on rebuilding what he has broken. That be a nice way to tie all the films together. I say new characters, new story is the way to go. Luke and gang had their moments/films we don't need to see them anymore. Who really wants to see old out of shape heros?

21. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I agree. I have no issue with a sith protagonist, but give him a history. Maybe show him falling to the dark side and his reasoning amd so forth...

22. tuskinraiderfromhell

Dec 14, 2004
    The Sith are gone. Let it end there.

23. tuskinraiderfromhell

Dec 14, 2004
    Having Sith in the new movies kinda diminishes the point of the saga. We need a new threat. Something oringal. Not from the EU. I like the EU but nothing I've read from the EU can hold a candle to what George created. Lucas is Star Wars, period. The meat and potatoes has already been made. Everything outside the six film saga is just garnish.

24. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    My fear is that everyone will have named so many "fears" and "concerns" that the writers and directors won't be able to generate any original story ideas without being crucified or without being met with tremendous disappointment from the fan base. It almost seems that people will be unsatisified with whatever is developed since the weight of expectation is so darn great for these films.

There are only so many directions that the writers can move with this thing and the people on this forum most likely will have already accounted for them once people are given years to be left to their own devices and deliberations.

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That is almost a certainty.
    You can never please the fans.