main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are your folks opinion on video games these days?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DJT, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    But its not what corporate execs look at. If they are making more long term revenue off of Multiplayer content than single player content, which do you think they will keep focusing on?

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Of course they'd focusing on the Multiplayer content; which is what Rockstar did and why it's still being sold very well at both retail as well as the third party markets like eBay and Amazon.

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    [​IMG]

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

You know, it wouldn't hurt you to do research first, then form an opinion, then share it.

The Take2 annual report, which is publicly available, consistently refers to the income from GTA "in-game purchases" as a core revenue stream. As in, it's a key feature of the product's longevity - its ability to provide Take2 and its shareholders long term ROI.

The key for people who make these decisions is not "units sold", it's "revenue earned".

Outsourced likes this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's adorable how Munroe thought people would have stopped referencing that in 2013.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I did my research, and formed my opinion.

You know, it wouldn't hurt if you and the other guy in here would be a little less condescending in just about each and every one of your posts.

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017

Start getting your facts right and I will, because almost every post i've seen from you concerning Video Games has been either factually incorrect, or fundamentally flawed.

Ender Sai likes this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

No one else has a problem with my posts except for you. And you know what? Even if you didn't agree with what I said, you didn't have to take the bully attitude with "go do your research". There are worse things in life than to disagree with a post about a video game.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

If you wanted to say that GTA V was superior story wise to GTA IV, and I disagreed, that'd be one thing.

You stated, however, an opinion with utter confidence that did not once consider evidence. You cannot claim to have done research because you would have seen statements from the powers that be that directly contradict your position. It would like claiming you 'did you research' and confirmed that actually, ancient Romans were "huge fans of the Le Mans 24hr endurance race". No they were not. It's not possible to have done the research and made this claim.

Every Take2 company report has praised the capacity of the GTA franchise to produce revenue. The steady stream of sales post release date is noted, but not as prominently as the ability of the brand to generate a perpetual and near-permanent revenue stream through "in game purchases". These carry no margins with them, save for income tax in the Republic of Ireland where the related body corporate that sells the Shark Cards is domiciled. There's no operating costs to creating them, which means that it's pure profit. And for Take2, or any company, profit with no opex attached is the dream ticket.

If Take2 interactive did not publish their annual reports, then we'd be trading opinions which are by their nature subjective. We're not in that world. They have published their reports, and they have placed microtransactions at the core of their revenue model. That you haven't read it doesn't give rise to a situation where it's immaterial or doesn't exist, I'm sorry to say.

Life and Outsourced like this.
  10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017

I'm passionate about Video Games. My goal in life is to create them, and they're one of my favorite pastimes. I'm fine with having different opinions about things. But you are factually wrong, something I do take issue with, especially within a medium I am so passionate about.

I don't say to do research because I want to bully you out of the conversation. I say it because I actually want you to do research. If you want to bring in some evidence to support your argument of "Sales > Revenue", then feel free. I will happily be proved wrong.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    And evidence shouldn't be anecdotes. I'll just quote Broughy if it comes to that.

Outsourced likes this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I left the article stating the fact that GTA 5 is the best-selling game of all time. I don't need anyone to tell me that Rockstar has made tremendous money through their microtransactions. But the article about it being the best-selling game of all time has nothing to do with that. The original argument was over why the game is as popular as it is. If you're going to tell me that the game is popular because of the microtransactions - and then tell me to "do research" - you'll have lost me. If microtransactions were such a driving force for a game than people in this forum wouldn't be screaming over them with BF2. GTA 5 has remained popular because of its constantly evolving Online platform. And the pay-for microtransactions aren't a necessity; as I've mentioned before. Yes, some people don't have the patience to play the game long enough to earn the money for the best vehicles, lots, clothes, weapons, etc. They'll just buy a couple Shark Cards and call it a day.

Rockstar is smart in that it features the most expensive vehicles (including jets and yachts) as virtually beyond the reach of the casual gamer who doesn't plan on buying a Shark Card. I've had the game for four years, and I have yet to pay over $300k on any single vehicle.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's like the MrBossFTW of posts.

OK let's just counter with the best of the GTA YouTubers and my crew leader: