main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Are Your Immediate First Thoughts When 9-11 Is Mentioned?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by CmdrMitthrawnuruodo, Jul 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    This is serious. When you hear the phrases "9-11" or "September 11th", what are your immediate first thoughts that come across your mind?

Do you immediately think about the World Trade Center and the lives lost there? Flight 93 and the heros who sacrificed themselves to save countless others? The Pentagon? The al Qaeda? Osama bin Laden? Or something else?

And why do you think that first over everything else?

Me, I immediately think about the Pentagon and Flight 93. Why do I? I use to think about the World Trade Center first, but than as I looked around, I noticed that the Pentagon and Flight 93 were being ignored. I began to believe that everyone has begun to associate 9-11 with the World Trade Center only. So now I immediately think about the Pentagon and Flight 93 with the WTCs right behind them.

I feel that the Pentagon and Flight 93 are just as important and tragic as the destruction and deaths of the World Trade Center. I just wish everyone else could see the same thing: such as the Media and Book Publishers!!! :mad:

And please be honest. Thanks.

Please continue in the Official 9-11 Thread.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The aftermath, the whole banding together and all that. I think I'm trying to be positive :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    My immediate first thoughts are seeing the towers collapsing over and over again.

It is a scene not shown much anymore but really should. I think people are forgetting what actually happened. A good dose of reality helps every now and then.

I too believe that the Pentagon and Flight 93 get ignored. Perhaps for reasons we don't know. Just a thought.

Latre! :D

4. Inari_Icewalker

Inari_Icewalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    As someone who actually lives in Virginia, I am a little annoyed, too, that the Pentagon is often ignored or hardly mentioned. I am grateful that many fewer lives were lost then at the WTC, but that doesn't in any way diminish the tragedy of what happened in Arlington, Virginia, that day.

And let me share something else. I live in Richmond, which is the half-way point between the Pentagon and Norfolk, which boasts the world's largest naval base. Governor Gilmore took no chances that day and did a number of things for which he, too, should be recognized for, along with Mayor Guilani.

To safeguard the Commonwealth's business offices and state employees, like myself, the Virginia Capitol Police were immediately dispatched to lock down state buildings. No traffic in or out was permitted until they could determine we would be safe. There were officers everywhere.

The Air National Guard flew over the state capital to ensure there was no erstwhile air traffic heading our way. The governor also ordered a patrol of the Virginia coastline to prevent any incoming air traffic. Governor Gilmore had a legitimate reason to worry that the Norfolk naval base might be targeted and took measures to help the Navy protect the area.

In my opinion, he handled the situation extremely well, considering he was an out-going leader and his term was about to expire. He didn't do any glory seeking, and he acted quickly and effectively. And yet, nothing is said about his leadership, anywhere.

I didn't vote for him in the gobernatorial election in 1997, but I do have respect for him with regard to his handling of this emergency. Hats off to (former) Governor James S. Gilmore, III for handling the crisis as he did. If no one else will thank him, I will.

I almost lost a dear friend who works in the Pentagon, and I was frantic trying to call her that day. It would be nice if Virginians were remembered when references to the tragedies are made.

That's 2 cents worth from a Virginian, who used to live 1/4 mile down the road from the Pentagon, and is saddened by the losses there.

5. YAZ6714

YAZ6714 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2001
    I like to consider Flight 93 our first victory in the war on terrorism.

6. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Well as a NYer, I get extremley sad and angry whenever 9-11 is mentioned. Some of my friends lost parents in that tragedy.

And the reason that the Two Towers is mentioned in 9-11 is three-fold.

1. Because it occured in NY, the media capital of the world.

2. Becuase the towers, national symbols of capitalism, collapsed. They're no more. I can't tell you how depressing that is. It really is like a piece of all NYers heart is missing.

3. Because of the sheer number of people lost in comparison to those lost in the Pentagon, and Flight 93.

7. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Since I live near NY I think of the Towers first and what a chaotic day it was. It was one of the worst days in my life. I didn't lose anyone I knew, but it made me sick to my stomach.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

8. Seleucus_Nicator

Seleucus_Nicator Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    The plane hit the building. Get over it.

9. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Wow! :eek:

A stunning contribution to this thread!

10. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    The plane hit the building. Get over it.

Deep thoughts.

Oh, and how do you tell the widow who has three kids to "get over it?"

Or the kid who no longer has ANY parents because they BOTH died in 9-11? Oh, he should "get over it", right?

Your thought process astounds me.

11. Seleucus_Nicator

Seleucus_Nicator Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    People die everyday. Its fitting to mourn them for a short while after the fact, but do realize that YOU are still alive and that you should go on with your life.

After 10 months, I think its time to say goodbye for once and move along.

12. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    ::Moves along after reading the last post::

13. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    If we just "move on", the terrorists win.

Oh but wait... if we let it continue to affect our lives, the terrorists win.

:eek:

14. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    My first thoughts are: "Oh no, did they declare another federal holiday?"

Seriously.

It was horrific and I was as angry as anyone else, but when every other day is a prayer of remembrance day and federal holiday, and it gets shoved down your throat a year after it happened, it gets tiring.

15. Anakin1999

Anakin1999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 26, 1999
    My first thoughts as I was lurking through the Forum on 9/11 as Anakin2001 while watching TV & listening to the radio, was to immediately report the events to the JCC*

I felt the shock of Princess Leia when Alderon was destroyed. I immediately hit the "send" button on the now infamous ** "Official Thread" -- 'Plane Crashes in World Trade Center' at 6:05 a.m. Board time and the rest is History.

Anakin2001 will continue in the next post. :(

* The Senate had not yet been formed.

** Nathan Dahlin immediately sensed the scope and urgency in the story and designated it the "Official Thread" .

16. Anakin2001

Anakin2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2000
    " I'll take it from here kid . "

I could have gone into shock when I first saw the plane hit the WTC on TV on 911. The radios and TV went dead.

My 1st thoughts were for my family & friends in NYC and in the WTC area.

Instead I decided to disseminate the news to my fellow JCers as quickly as possible.

I had to leave and I saw the towers burning when I went outside. I got back to my PC the same time radio & TV were being restored and saw the 2nd plane hit.

You all know the rest. :(

17. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    When I hear sep'11 the first thing I think of is the hundreds (maybe thousands) of innocent afghans that lost their lives in the US retaliation on an entire country when a single man was responsible. I also think of the collapsing building's and the dust that where all over Manhatten. But I also think about the friend that I lost.
    I
    know the attitude in the
    US is "We will never forget and never forgive". of course we shoudn't forget but we shoudn't neither dwell on it forever.

-Mulacki

18. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    "Innocent Afghans that had to die in US retaliation" Bah. I could say something about that, but this isn't the place.

19. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    I think of the emergency hotline number 911.

20. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Innocent life in foreign countries means just as much as it does in America. Vaderbait needs to learn that well. The first thing i think of is how much in shock i was watching it for the first time on tv, and the incredible loss of life and anguish. I didn't realise the incident was that big until i saw it on the shop tv on my way home. One of the first things i did when i got home was talk to everyone american i know on the internet to make sure they and their families were ok and to tell them how sorry i was.

21. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    When did I say foreign innocents mattered less than Americans? ?[face_plain] It sounded like whoever that was was taking a jab at us "ruthless maniacal" Americans and the way we fought the war. I was going to point out that the only "innocents" were killed accidentally, and that the "innocents" he/she referred to were a legitimate enemy, pledging allegiance to an evil man and blindly following him. [face_plain]

Now please, refrain from making a comment about what I have to "learn".

But if you just misread what I wrote that's OK too. :p

22. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Did you see those injured kids left without family pledging allegance to Osama Bin Laden? No. I didn't think so. Stop assuming all Afghanistans are against you.

23. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Bah, get lost already, I've had enough of your twisting words. [face_plain]

24. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Don't make that face at me. I'm not twisting your words, maybe you should think through what you say abit more.

25. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Why? I haven't said anthing close to what you've twisted them to meaning. So basically you mean "Think harder so you can post something I can't twist?"

OK, I don't like you. Oh wait, have I just insulted your religion? ::rolls eyes::

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.