main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are your opinions on psychology, psychiatry, and psychotherapy?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Whimper, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Thanks Whimper, but really the psych's that I went to didn't do anything or offer any advice that I thought was helpful. In reality I could have done what I did without going to see them at all. They did offer advice on how to manage my problems but I saw how that advice wasn't helping.

2. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Simply put, it is all in the individual. If a person needs a little help, therapy can go a long way. If there is a serious problem, therapy wont go all the way probably, and if it is some sort of physical problem (chemical imbalance or injury) I really doubt therapy will do much. Psychology may help understand what is troubling a person, but not a whole lot more.

I agree with I think it was Whimper. A person needing help must be given the ability to help themself. Depending on the problem, professional help can be a big help, but it also may not be.

One problem I have had with psychiatrists (actually, they probably were not, but they said they were) is that they are sometimes dismisive. I believe that something does not have to be done the normal way and I may be able to back up why not, but some of those 'psychiatrists' say you should still be normal. They may not even give a reason why, just do it.

However, my experence with psychiatrists has been very limited, and probably with very underskilled members of that proffession. So take what I said for the two cents it is worth.

3. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I'm not an avid proponent of the American Psychological Association.

[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.