What are your Star Wars childhood memories?

Discussion in 'Orange County, CA' started by Princess_Skywalker_, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I can't remember how I saw Star Wars or ESB. I may have been in the theatre, or on tv, but I think we rented them. (We had a vcr in the early 1980's and rented a lot). I got back into Star Wars again before PM came out. I think it's because the excitement of an upcoming movie reminded me of my childhood....And how much I always wanted to be princess leia...lol....These are my Star Wars memories and why I became a fan.

I remember playing Star Wars on recess and fighting with my best friend over who got to be princess leia. Everyone was sitting up on the top of the metal rocket ship like we always did on recess. We decided that the next day, who ever got their mom to do their hair in the pl buns style, got to be her....needless to say neither of us could convince our moms....
    I saw ROJ in the theatre because my baby sitter took me. I think it was to help out my parents since my baby brother had just been born.
    In third grade our teacher had an annual Halloween play and she allowed us to alter the characters costumes(they were trick or treaters). One of the guys came as Darth Vader and I still have the play on tape.
    I remember the die hard fans in grade school(they were boys) having ALL Star Wars themed school supplies in September. I was so jealous.
    I LOVED Dynamite magazine!! I could spend hours in the library going over an issue. I now collect toys, etc. that I always wanted as a kid. I recently purchased the Dynamite issue with Luke and Leia on the cover. It brought back wonderful memories and I felt like a kid again.
    My mom wasn't too into me liking/collecting Star Wars, Superfriends, etc. She preferred the girly stuff I liked; Hello Kitty, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. So I didn't really get to collect anything Star Wars back then. I remember begging and pleading to buy the Darth Vader action figure case. I wanted to collect the action figures so badly.
    My favorite memory of Star Wars goes like this....I liked this boy in my class but he already was "going out" with another girl...This was 2nd grade and only SW and ESB were out so far. I use to go over to his house and we'd play star wars using his action figures. He had TONS of them and a bunch of the ships, etc. to go with them. It was pure heaven. He loved it because he didn't have to have his sister play with him (to act out the girl figures), and I loved it because I got to be ALL the princess leias!

Just some memories from my youth...ahhh the good old days Now you know a bunch about me, so share your stories so I can get to know you all!
  2. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Lets see where to begin. I remeber seeing ANH at a drive-in when I was very young. Chewie scared me to death. Prior to ESB we rented ANH and I fell in love with it. My mother and I stood in line for 2 days to see ESB and ended up seeing it a total of 356 time that summer and we saw it at the old cinedome movie theaters off of Chapman Ave in Orange. I watched ROTJ in Flagstaff when we lived in AZ and we had to drive 100 miles to see it on opening day. My mother and grandfather took care of me in the collecting department. I think I had 1 or 2 of every figure and I think I had every playset or vehicle made at the time. ( It was all stolen later in life.) I can remember playing with my friends with all of the action figures and having a blast. When I lived in AZ we lived out int the country so we used to go out and play Star Wars outside. We had all the blasters and made our own lightsabers. We would be in our own GFFA for hours on end. Those were some very fun times indeed!!!! :D
  3. zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Master

star 4
    childhood memories? i was an adult when i saw starwars. i read the paperback by george lucas prior to the movie. i saw it at the old city center cinemas [theres a health club there now] i saw ESB same place you did SRB...cinedome in orange. my childhood memories are of black and white buck rodgers and flash gordon serials. i watched space patrol on tv in black and white also. it must have been really great to grow up with star wars, but even if i didnt, i can still relate!
  4. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I don't remember seeing ANH or ESB in the theaters, but I do remember seeing ROTJ. I think we only saw it once (I was 9 so it was hard to see movies more than once). We taped ANH off the tv when it finally aired on network television. Then I watched it everyday for 3 months (summer break from school). It was the first thing I'd do every morning. Get up, watch Star Wars, then go out and play. I watched it so much that the beginning of the tape started to go bad (black and white at the beginning). We kept all the toys I had gotten over the years and I kinda got out of Star Wars until around 1992 when I discovered the Tales of the Jedi comics. I've been back into it ever since.
  5. malelesbo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Childhood Star Wars memories...Where do I begin? Let's see...The best one I can think of is getting caught by my parents at age 4-5 playing "Pit of Karchoun" with my Star Wars action figures. The game involved lining up Han, Chewie, Luke, and the rest before the All-Powerful Jabba the Hutt. I tried them all as victims of the mighty Sarlaac, and cast them into my kitchen's garbage disposal. On.
  6. jedi_janie Jedi Master

star 1
    As a parent, I can understand their reaction and as a SW fan, you can understand all the collective *ooooh, no!* reaction from all of us with that childhood story!
  7. dustinbrewer Jedi Knight

star 2
    i remember going to see star wars in 1979 when i was 7 with my parents, i fell asleep some way through and remember waking up to see luke and leia ready to swing across the pit over to the other walkway. it is burned into my brain :) my parents had no interest in watching stars wars movies after the first one. i didnt see empire or rotj until my mom rented them for me around 1986.

as a child i had 3 3/4" darth vader(ended up getting head knocked off and arm removed), a tusken radier and r2-d2(WOW what a collection).

now as an adult, my wife an i stood in line for all 3 theatrical special edition showings a few years back, saw tpm at the theatre and went to see atoc may 19th and my wife's water broke as we got in line to buy tickets, our son was born the next day! 3 weeks later we finally saw atoc on the big screen. i now we eagerly await the final installment :)

and now i have about 40 current figures and some old kenner stormtroppers from the swap meet, all displayed out of box on a shelf :D

--dustin
  8. darth_avery Jedi Master

star 3
    watching my brother and his best friend play lightsabers with mag-lites in the living room. i think they were 10 years old....i learned a very inportant lesson that day....lightsabers are dangerous....especially to the teeth of mischevious boys. luckily it was a baby tooth, but my brother did end up with a concussion.

my favotite childhood memories are of watching my brother, sister and their friends play star wars action figures and stuff. i was too young to play along then.....but now i play those same games with my nephew!
  9. Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was already a teen, and A New Hope (just called 'Star Wars' back then) came out the week I graduated high school.
    Like Zhi-Don, I saw it at The City I in Orange. (maybe that was me throwing popcorn your way, Zhi-Don? LOL! No - that never happened)
    I had seen the article in Time magazine, but it did not prepare me for that first huge Star Destoyer! The movie made me and a school chum so giddy, that we hid in the restroom and saw the next screening for FREE! :D "Yippee!" [face_laugh]
  10. Bant428 Jedi Master

star 4
    i wasnt a swfan until i turned 10, as my father told me all-knowingly throughout my first decade of life, "i saw star wars, and i hated it. it's trash." then, my cuzin and his friend introduced star wars cards to me, and ANH happened to be on TV that nite. the next day, my school receieved the "weekly reader" kid's mag, and it had an article on TPM. the rest is history =-)
  11. BobaFett-MP Jedi Master

star 4
    I can remember watching really grainy vhs recordings of ESB and ANH that my parents had recorded from HBO. It wasn't till much later I saw ROTJ. As for being hooked, I think that didn't happen until early 1991. Darth Vader was actually my fav. Then, a friend told me about this certain bounty hunter named Boba Fett... And the rest is history :-D
  12. Diesel_Dave Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw ANH and ESB in Riverside county as a very young child. I remember seeing Tie fighters swooping across the screen on a drive in theater in Norco CA. [face_yuck] (btw, did the HWY 39 drive-in get torn down yet?)

I remember very well as a young teen, going down the 22 to see ROTJ at the Cinedome. It was to be a suprise but the child of a family friend spat out "JEDI!" before we even got off the freeway. I can't tell you how much I ranted a raved about going to see it. It is a memory I will never forget.
  13. Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Knight

star 3
    Diesel-Dave, you saw 'Jedi' at the Cinedome! Man, I envy you.
    If you mean the Highway 39 drive-in in H.B., I think it's gone -- but have'nt been by lately.
    Oh, and your PFF photos are awesome! :D

One other memory from when ANH was still new -- there were these 2 guys (not in line) reading aloud from a bible near the head of the line to go in, and not one of us had any idea of what that was all about. :confused:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.