main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bosh_Talk, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm reading Shadowmarch by Tad Williams...I suppose I should start Star by Star for bookclub soon.

2. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    wading into Team of Rivals, the recent pulitzer winner about Lincoln and his cabinet...I'm not a usual reader of heavy historical nonfiction so this is new for me. It's dense but I'm giving it time.

also trying to make my way slowly through that Showcase trade paperback of old Superman comics. awesome buy for $10.

and trying to re-read FF from the start in my Essentials...I want to just read all of them but I inevitably get distracted.

3. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I can think of many things that FF can stand for, none are things you read.

4. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Just started back to school this week, so in adition to textbooks (Statistics & Psych) I'm currently reading these supplimental books/essays:
    -The Hindu Tradition (Ainslie T. Embree)
    -The Communist Manifesto (Marx, Engels)
    -Labor and Monopoly Capital (Harry Braverman)
    -The Glass Menagerie [for the umpteenth time] (Williams)

Matt, since when did you ever read a book didn't have at least 3 F@#%'n robots in it?
    If you like Team of Rivals you should check out Dark Union (Lincoln conspiracy) and if you haven't read it, probably the best Civil War Fiction (though it feels like non-fiction) ever written is "The Killer Angels" by Jeff Shaara.

Bosh

5. Bobafemme

Nov 25, 2000
    You should wear this shirt when you read, Bosh.

[image=http://www.threadless.com/product/383/The_Communist_Party#zoom]

well I guess the format buttons aren't going to help me today. Go cut and paste.

6. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    ff=fantastic four. and probably other things as well, some of them also with four letters.

i read stuff with no robots all the time--in fact, i read little sci-fi and am woefully unawares of most "literary" sci-fi--asimov, bradbury, etc.

what's surprising to me is that in his spare time, bosh also seems to be an armchair lincoln scholar. wonders never cease.

7. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Battle Royale

8. Lily_Wan

Lily_Wan Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2004
    People of the Lake by Richard Leakey, son of Mary and Louis Leakey. I saw Richard's wife, Meave, give a lecture at the Field Museum last year, which I enjoyed. The book is fine so far.

9. FettFan79

FettFan79 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2005
    Tales of the Bounty Hunters------what else?:p Up next: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader-----but hey--these books are new to me--just got my copies for Christmas...

wow Lily--that would have been nice to see...

10. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab, a little non-fiction for me today.

11. Malakiili

Malakiili Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2005
    Star By Star (aka War and Peace aka LOTR aka the Bible), Bushworld, and the latest issue of TIME.

12. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr.

13. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Karl Marx: Capital (only 4000 pages to go!!)

Bosh

14. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    the seamus heaney Beowulf

15. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    had an urge to re-read Crisis on Infinite Earths this weekend after reading the first four issues of Infinity Crisis this weekend.

man, that marv wolfman is a wacky crazy dude. the story is INSANE. not intensely gripping to me personally, but just sorta awe-inspiring, in that if the human brain can devise such a mad wonderment, there is hope for us all.

infinite crisis is doing a pretty admirable job so far of living up to the promise of the original Crisis, although in terms of results, I guess we'll see how things shake out. I like how Johns is basically giving us what the original Crisis did for its time--a travelogue of the current state of the DCU. i also like the allegory to the state of comics today--Earth-2 Supes wants the world to be silver age again, basically. even if the allegory's laid on a little thick at times.

and earth prime superboy--a genuinely disturbing, involving character. melikey.

16. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]"Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett[/color]

17. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    The DC Universe is one funked up place isn't it?

Peas

18. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    I just got Runelords Book #3 Wizardborn by David Farland.

19. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    The Physics of Superheroes by Dr. James Kakalios

This is an amazingly engaging read. Don't let the title scare you. The physics calculations in the book are presented in such a way that even the novice can understand it. If you passed high school Algebra(that rules out Penguin) you'll be just fine. It is also quite funny. Kakalios, whom I had the pleasure of meeting at Convergence 2005, has a razor wit and impeccable comic timing. Just when the math gets heavy he pops a funny joke or anecdote to lighten things before getting back to business.

Highly highly recommended for nerds of all shades.

20. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm 3/10 through Dark Nest I: The Joiner King. I intend to catch up to the Dark Nest trilogy before Legacy of the Force comes out.

Phil

21. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    The Davinci Code, by Dan Brown---I finally gave in and started reading the book. I hate jumping on any bandwagons just because so many others have read it. The film is about to come out and it has a fairly high-caliber cast so I thought I'd give it a quick read before the film is released.

Winner Takes All, by Jaqueline Rayner---This is one of the new 9th Doctor, Doctor Who books, by BBC Books. Being a fan of the new series I can identify with the way the characters are written in them, so thus far it's an enjoyable read.

Son of a Witch, by Gregory Maguire---I know there are some fans of stage musicals in this group and for all those that are familiar with "Wicked" this is the author of that story's sequel to it. I'm quite thoroughly enjoying it. It's OZ characters for the adult world. No sappy munchkins and exceedingly kind people in this OZ. It's an OZ full of all the harsh realities and sufferings of this world and yet in a locale where magic and talking Animals happen to coexist (albeit somewhat at odds with each other) with humans.

22. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    The Hot Kid by Elmore Leonard

23. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    i hated DaVinci Code the book. thought the writing was horrible. but the story is pretty neat, so I'm interested in the film.

i'm reading thru a solid run of Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, issues #10-58ish to be exact.

24. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm reading Rebel Dream.

I'm thinking about finishing all the NJO this summer so I can get back into things and start reading some of the interesting post-NJO lit coming out this summer and next fall. I'm also reading Wizardborn (still), and also Ambush at Corellia. Cause the eighties stuff is far away from any developing plotline.

hrm.

25. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    "Cell" by Stephen King.

King pays homage to George Romero with zombies and a play on current events affecting our lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.