What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

Discussion in 'Chicago, IL' started by Bosh_Talk, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kosure Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm also reading WWZ,

(ps Shotgun Zombie #5)

I also just got Pynchon's V. so maybe i'll start that soon.
  2. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm working my way thru Showcase Presents Phantom Stranger, a great cheap collection of black and white reprints of some fun horror/suspense comics from the late sixties and early seventies.

I am fascinated by Doctor 13. Let's leave it at that.
  3. Malakiili Jedi Knight

star 1
    Since my job has had me out of book club (or anything fun for that matter) since April, I've just recently resumed the NJO, and I'm reading "Rebel Dream". Not a bad book, although I'm going to suit action to words and rip out the page the next time I read "suit action to words".
  4. shwanzi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Just finished Stephen King's Cell. It was pretty good and it's left open for a sequel that he'll probably never write.

I'm now reading The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. Very entertaining read so far.
  5. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    I've started reading Robert Howard's Conan stories with the first of the three-volume reprints that I think Del Rey just put out. I'm really into it, although I'm kinda hung up on the third story, which is a somewhat boring Agatha Christie mystery cozy featuring Conan. Still, he does call people dogs a lot which is neat.

I'm also plugging along through Essential Super-Villain Team Up Vol. 1, some great dumb Marvel seventies comics featuring LOTS of overwrought Doctor Doomisms. RICHARDS!
  6. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    Winkie.....it's about a Teddy Bear that's accused of terrorism..........right...that's what I'm reading.

Bosh
  7. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm trying to slug through George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series. So far, 200 or so pages into Game of Thrones, it is a snooze fest. I've hear a lot of good things about it and so far it is a big disappointment.
  8. DrJawa Jedi Knight

star 3
    World War Z by Max Brooks - 2/3rds of the way through and I'm loving it. A must read for any zombie fan.
  9. doc4converse Jedi Master

star 4
    Of course the last book of the NJO series is what I am reading right now, but I just got the book The Children of Men to read before I see the movie. I did learn that the movie is nothing like the book, but that the author of the book liked the movie.
  10. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    finally....Republic Commando "Hard Contact"..
  11. Lothos Jedi Knight

star 2
    The Dark Tower series by King.

I've finished book one and I'm now on the second (of seven).
  12. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    Working my way thru Avengers Forever and Essential Avengers Vol. 1.
  13. JediAutobot Force Ghost

star 4
    Only about 10 pages into Alligence by Zahn.

Oh, and Harry Potter July 21st! It's a weekend, so perfect, I can spend all day reading.
  14. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Just finished Freakonomics. I liked some parts but others really just made me crazy.
  15. JodoKast74 Jedi Master

star 4
    The Walking Dead Volume 3 - Safety Behind Bars.

I'm not big on graphic novels but this series will make me broke. Excellent storyline and character development. Plus, THERE BE ZOMBIES!!!
  16. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Finally finished Game of Thrones which is Book one in the Song of Ice and Fire series. It was good but only towards the end did it really become interesting. 500 pages of build up and the pay off was "meh" but the second book, Clash of Kings, has started off much better and the characters far more intriguing.

The women are vicious in these books. Some of them are down right *rhymes with hunts*. For realsies.
  17. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    Of the several books I'm reading for school, the four that may be of general interest are:

The People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn - By far one of the most interesting and informative history books I've read, albeit heavily biased against the "evil white male" but facts is facts. The book in its entirety is posted here if anyone's interested.
    An Economic History of the United States by Ronald Seavoy - A little dry, but fascinating.
    Voices of Dissent: Critical Readings in American Politics (edited by) Grover & Peschek - A collection of short essays about American politics everyone should read IMHO.
    The Long Emergency - Which sucks...bad. If you want a good book on the end of oil and how it's going to impact society as we know it...read "End of Oil" and avoid TLE like the plague.

And Femme, if you dug "Freakonomics" I highly recommend "The Undercover Economist" and "Naked Economics". Freakonomics is definitely entertaining, though Levit kind of blurs the lines between correlation and causation. He does a good job of taking the wind out of what is probably one of Rudy Giuliani's most touted accomplishments.

D'
  18. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    "people's history" is on my long-term list of books to read. i kinda want to find a good, comprehensive, relatively middle-of-the-road general US history text to read before I read Zinn's, so that I have something fresh in my mind to bounce things off of.

last night I started Marvels by Busiek and Ross; it's pretty good so far. I started Bushwhacked by Molly Ivins a few days ago and should probably get back to it.
  19. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    My biggest peeve of Freakomics is that the world is pretty much black or white. I also don't like that sources are not cited when he's disproving ideas (I do read all the footnotes and endnotes). I'll have to check out the other books, thanks for the tips.
  20. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    Just finished "Republic Commando" - Triple Zero....
    I liked it....
    Good insight into the lives of the Clones.....and of the Mandolorian "culture"...
    and the disintegration of the Jedi Order...
  21. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Matt, "Marvels" is an intersting book, to say the least. It's visually beautiful (I believe it was Alex Ross' coming out party) and very well paced, but something never quite sat right for me when I read it, especially the Galactus issue. A few years ago, Gone & Forgotten did a piece on the series that - while slightly mean-spirited - pretty well summed up my own internal rumblings on the subject:

http://ape-law.com/GAF/pages/marvels-unmasked.shtml

Interestingly enough, he uses a small portion of the essay to attack Mark Waid, whom (regardless of some of his less reputable works) wrote "Kingdom Come"; a masterful DC universe "aftermath" story loosely based on Alan Moore's "Twilight of the Superheroes" outline. Also drawn by Ross, "Kingdom Come" dealt with nearly all the problems brought up in the anti-Marvels article.

Speaking of Moore, I finally (finally) got around to finishing Top 10 this weekend, and it's every bit as good as people say. I was a fan of Moore's weird little run on WildC.A.T.s in the 90s, and in Top 10 he's returned to and expanded greatly upon the idea of "realistic" superhero communities, highlighting the human elements while filling in the corners with the fluffier aspects of the genre. Joe Pi, introduced in the last few issues of the series, is clearly a more fleshed out (pardon the pun) version of the kind of character study Moore was working on with Hadrian in WildC.A.T.s. Here's hoping the series is only on hold, not completely finished.

-Le Penguin
    "Nevertheless, I believe I can love. Can any human say more than that?"
  22. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    i didn't go gaga for Marvels but I'm not sure if I buy the "busiek superhero idolatry" interpretation. what sticks with me from the series is the real-world perspective dominated by fear. those scenes of deserted streets and people going nuts when they think Galactus is going to devour the planet...neat stuff.

i've graduated, anyway--i'm reading (and in some parts, re-reading) transmetropolitan, a series i followed off and on back in the day but this is my first time reading straight thru in one big swath. that is some very good stuff.
  23. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    On the advice of Fett402 and Femme I am reading Outbound Flight and loving it. This is the first EU/prequel novel I've enjoyed in some time. Then again it is Timothy Zahn and I've almost always enjoyed his work.
  24. kosure Force Ghost

star 3
    I just finished a great book called the Centauri Device, by M. John Harrison
  25. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    working my way thru a read/re-read of warren ellis and darick robertson's transmetropolitan. that is some fantastic stuff.

ellis has a new ongoing series coming out this summer, doktor sleepless, that looks to be in the same vein. i am very excited.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.