main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bosh_Talk, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Just finished HP&TOOTP last night... I'd been waiting until I finished re-reading I, Jedi, but when I realized that I was gonna miss the book club, and then learned that the picnic was postponed, well, I said why not? So I went on a Potter binge, read chapters twelve through thirty-eight in pretty much one sitting.

Now I'm "between books", and my reading (for tonight, anyway) will be Pern fan fiction that I need to edit by tomorrow. ;-) The next book will likely be Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs, for the mystery book group I'm in at B&N.

2. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    I am reading The Legion Of The Damned series by William C Dietz.

In the future, the terminally ill can prolong life by surrendering their consciousness to a cybernetic life form that is then recruited into the notorious Legion of the Damned, an elite fighting unit charged with protecting humanity. This imperial space opera takes up the theme of fighting against impossible odds. At the center of the story is a futuristic French Foreign Legion made up of cyborgs and other societal misfits. The scrappy, chip-on-their-shoulder soldiers occupy their own planet in the far reaches of a contracting human space empire. When a xenophobic alien empire strikes at the humans, the legion becomes the last best hope for human salvation. The legionnaires are an oddball lot, ranging from their cutthroat, sexy commander, General Marianne Mosby, to the passionate Sergeant Bill Booly and the industrious, never-say-can't Legion General Ian St. James. The Legions cyborg soldiers have human minds trapped in armored killing machines, are rich and quirky characters as well. Throw in a Mad Nero-like Emperor more interested in his own pleasure than in the future of his empire, aristocratic conspirators working behind the scenes to take over the throne and ruthless, paranoid aliens with no way of understanding human psychology, and Dietz's (Drifter?s War) latest tale becomes exciting and suspenseful. The humanity of the characters mixes well with the action to give this space drama real punch.

3. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I continue the French sci-fi theme with "The Ice People", by René Barjavel.

I find it a little creepy that some sci-fi books written in the 1950-70 period (this one, "Faherenheit 451", etc.) are so true to today's world. But not from a Jetson's angle (I want my flying car, dagnabit!), but from a cultural stand-point. If you haven't already, run out (please obey all traffic laws) and get a copy of "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein. I won't say that it changed my life, but it did solidify in my mind many things that I waffled back and forth on.

4. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    Yes, School's Out! by Michael Sheard.
    He's such a nice man. ;)

5. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Jester Leaps In by Alan Gordon.[/color]

6. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I've been reading the new issue of the Insider. I plan to read Force Heretic II and III after that.

Phil

7. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Servant of the Empire by Raymond Feist

8. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    "Shatterpoint"

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

did I fall asleep?

9. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm 1/3 thru It by Mr. King.

10. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]A Death in the Venetian Quarter by Alan Gordon[/color]

11. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    the frist harry potter book and then tratior

Ben

12. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Starting "Ender's Game" and bouncing around in Black & Decker's "The Complete Guide To HOME WIRING". both are good so far.

13. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I just picked up Shatterpoint from the library yesterday, so that's what I just started reading! :D

14. Ortugg3

Ortugg3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    "What the Corpse Revealed" A Study in Forensic Science by Hugh Miller

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    How... uplifting, Burton, LOL. :p

16. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    I think it sounds facinating. Is it anything like "Dead Men DO Tell Tales"?

17. Ortugg3

Ortugg3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    I've never read that one, but it sounds intriguing.

Another good one is called: "Hunting Humans, An Encyclopedia of Serial Killers".
    by Michael Newton.

I only read true-crime books once in a while so don't get creeped out. [face_devil]

18. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    [face_shocked]

I think I'm going to go read like Bambi or something now...

19. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, besides my Planetary Space and Science book for class (yes, I said planetary), I'm reading the latest SW Insider with Refugee and Fellowship of the Ring on board. Thank goodness I finished Harry Potter V or I'd really be dead...

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines The Movie Novelization

21. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Order of the Phoenix[/color]

22. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    This damn instruction booklet for my new thermostat!!!!! 30 pages of babble to me.

23. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm reading the last in the Force Heretic series, Reunion. I'm a little disappointed in the "my love"s in Luike's dialogue.

24. vaderisone

vaderisone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    LOTR-The Two Towers

25. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Year Zero By Jeff Long, the sum of this complex tale is more than its parts of medical thriller, archeological fiction, action/adventure and doomsday scenario, as Long (The Descent) thrills with an intricate puzzle. A Greek collector of religious relics searching for artifacts from Christ's crucifixion sends samples of a powder dated to Year Zero to three foreign labs, thereby unwittingly unleashing a plague organism that races through the world's populations. Young archeologist Nathan Lee survives a murderous attack by his crooked professor, David Ochs, but lands in a Tibetan jail as the plague spreads. When the guards open the prison, Nathan makes his way through abandoned territories to Siberia and across to Alaska just ahead of the plague, heading for his daughter and divorced wife in D.C. He finds them gone and is mistaken by his old employer, the Smithsonian, as the messenger expected to take Year Zero bones from a Golgotha dig to the now fortified Los Alamos labs, where scientists are cloning humans who were crucified in the same time as Christ in hopes of finding an antibody from those who had natural resistance. Parlaying the bones for a spot in the restricted compound, Nathan is put in charge of the Golgotha clones by genius young scientist Miranda Abbot. She and Nathan become lovers and the nemeses of a mad scientist, who, along with Ochs, does fiendish things to clones and plague victims while disrupting the researchers. Long mounts one nearly impossible escape scene after another and doesn't miss a step as he builds a no-win scenario, then pulls it out. The shifting terrain is vibrantly portrayed, the religious fallout is deftly handled and the characters engage completely as they face a gruesome end to civilization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.