main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bosh_Talk, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Wow... and I was gonna read that, too, but now it's all spoiled for me. Damn you, Executor! I'll shall have my vengeance! ;)

I just started The Last Command, so I'll have it finished by Saturday. :D

2. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Thom Solo, I did not give the whole kit and caboodle away so please do not be angry with me. I am only giving you the first part of the book and I did not give away any of the good juicy tidbits of the Book.

I just started reading legion of the Dammed Part 2 The Final Battle by William C. Dietz the story is about a Legion gone lax, the son of Colonel Bill Booly steps on important toes and is quickly assigned to the worst post in the galaxy. Fort Mosby, Earth is home of the 13th Half-Brigade, a collection of Legion rogues and rejects. The Book is very interesting addition to the "legion" series of books. It?s about honor, glory and all those great military ideals that are sometimes lacking in today?s world powers. The backdrop is the same as the last book. Legion of the Damned is an elite-fighting unit charged with protecting humanity. This imperial space opera takes up the theme of fighting against impossible odds. At the center of the story is a futuristic French Foreign Legion made up of cyborgs and other societal misfits. The scrappy, chip-on-their-shoulder soldiers occupy their own planet. If you liked legion of the damned you will most probably like this book also... I can't see why you wouldn't. I can't wait to read the next book.

3. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    "The Realm of Algebra" by Asimov

4. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    The girlfriend just started reading "Brave New World," so I'm itching to go through it again (haven't read it since high school.) Apparently, Huxley wrote an afterthought several years later, which is included in the volume she found. I can't wait...

-Le Penguin
    "T."

5. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]The Queens Own Fool...forgot the author.[/color]

6. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    The Woad to Wuin by Peter David, new to paperback.

7. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Peter David!? Oh Christ, no! Put it down while you still have a brain!

-Le Penguin
    "Practice."

8. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    Dune-by Frank Herbert
    This Hugo and Nebula Award winner tells the sweeping tale of a desert planet called Arrakis, the focus of an intricate power struggle in a byzantine interstellar empire. Arrakis is the sole source of Melange, the "spice of spices." Melange is necessary for interstellar travel and grants psychic powers and longevity, so whoever controls it wields great influence.
    The troubles begin when stewardship of Arrakis is transferred by the Emperor from the Harkonnen Noble House to House Atreides. The Harkonnens don't want to give up their privilege, though, and through sabotage and treachery they cast young Duke Paul Atreides out into the planet's harsh environment to die. There he falls in with the Fremen, a tribe of desert dwellers who become the basis of the army with which he will reclaim what's rightfully his. Paul Atreides, though, is far more than just a usurped Duke. He might be the end product of a very long-term genetic experiment designed to breed a super human; he might be a messiah. His struggle is at the center of a nexus of powerful people and events, and the repercussions will be felt throughout the Imperium.

9. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    PS Thom Solo: The Last Command is about......Just kiding!

10. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    dumped "Shatterpoint" and began "Splinter of the Mind's Eye"

11. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    C'mon Penguin, you already know my brain is long gone :D

12. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    Is it really neccessary to post long-winded synopses of the books we're reading here, or is that optional? I mean, I could see if someone asked about a book....

I'm starting Thin Air, a Spenser novel by Robert B. Parker. Then I'll read Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

13. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    Across the Nightingale Floor: Tales of the Otori, Book One By Lian Hearn

This first in the Otori trilogy, set in an ancient Japan, has all the right ingredients-- exotic setting, cruel villains, selfless heroes, magical powers, and star-crossed lovers who will become more important to the fate of their society than they could have ever imagined. Sixteen-year-old Takeo, the only survivor of a raid on his village by the evil Lord Iida, is rescued at the last minute by the kind and charismatic Lord Otori. But was the rescue really the coincidence that it appeared to be? Does Lord Otori have reasons beyond kindness for taking Takeo under his wing? He seems to know quite a lot about the boy, and about the strange abilities that Takeo is just starting to discover in himself--abilities that could help him to play a pivotal role in the fight to wrest power from Iida. Takeo's journey of self-discovery, his first great love, and his transformation from confused boy to brave warrior in a chaotic time will keep readers riveted. The Lord of the Rings phenomenon should pave the way for the success of worthy adventure trilogies (film rights have already been sold for this one), and this tale of love, loyalty, and courage is deserving of comparison to old favorites.

14. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Hmmm...went through Wicked by Gregory McGuire, went through Shatterpoint, reading I, Jedi finally.[/color]

15. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    Now I'm re-reading the Dragonriders of Pern trilogy, since I picked up the collected edition to have it autographed.... ;)

16. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Desperate for something to flip through while waiting for The Sneak to digest his food a few days ago, I grabbed "Watchmen" off the shelf.

Damned if I haven' gotten sucked into reading it all over again. It _never_ gets old.

-Le Penguin
    "He understand perfectly, and he doesn't care."

17. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Finished "Shatterpoint" (finally)....very depressing...but then I guess the Clone Wars are depressing as a whole....

On to "Legacy of the Jedi"....should be a quick read....

18. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm reading A Long Time Ago... Vol. 7: Far, Far Away. It's the last of a collection of the old Marvel comic books.

Phil

19. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    I just finished reading Sleep No More by Greg Iles. It's a thriller with a touch of the supernatural and plenty of psychological drama... a good read!

20. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    I'm reading Specter of the Past by Zahn.
    I really enjoy his writing.

21. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Im reading my new school rules and handbook 200 pages of never infoced ***t.

i want to work at barnes and nobel so bad.

22. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    GRASS FOR HIS PILLOW: Tales of the Otori, Book Two By Lian Hearn

The pseudonymous Hearn's second thrilling installment of her Tales of the Otori trilogy (after 2002's Across the Nightingale Floor) is once again set in a magic-haunted version of medieval Japan where no one wields unchallenged authority and no one is safe. The swirl of treacherous, shifting clan alliances threatens to overwhelm young lovers and aristocrats Takeo and Kaede. Separated throughout most of the action, the two must develop their talents while trying to maintain their integrity. Takeo possesses superhuman gifts such as the ability to become invisible, project a double image of himself and hear distant conversations; however, he must discipline his skills and control his impetuous temper. He also must work out his relationship with the Tribe, a treacherous secret organization of spies and assassins that saved his life but that may have murdered his father. Kaede, meanwhile, has to escape the powerless role of a woman if she is to protect herself and her family domain from predatory neighbors. Adept at creating vivid natural settings where the supernatural feels unusually plausible, Hearn catches fresh details of trees, birds, rivers and mountains. With quick, direct sentences like brushstrokes on a Japanese scroll, she suggests vast and mysterious landscapes full of both menace and wonder. Hearn shows that middle novels of trilogies don't have to simply fill space between an exciting opening and conclusion.

23. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Shatterpoint, pg 7.

24. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Rouge Planet- i know people bang this book but i wanted to know more since the New Jedi Order is finishing up and i need to understand more about Zonma Sekot

25. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    High Druid of Shannara by Terry Brooks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.