main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bosh_Talk, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    H.G. Wells' "The Invisible Man," finally completing my intention to read all the source material for Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (skip the movie if you know what's good for you.)

-Le Penguin
    "You're going to have to do something to the river."

2. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    "Force Heretic 1- Remnant"....

btw...does anyone know who that is supposed to be on the cover of "Remnant"?

3. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    i will look at my book and tell you im think me and autobot are the masters of the New Jedi Order.

4. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Don't tell But I'm reading The Star Wars Encyclorpedia and brushing up on my SW Trivial Pursuit!

5. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart by Jane Lindskold.

According to the cover blurb, "A tale of animal magic and human ambition."

6. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    I just finished Vision of the Future by Zahn. Great book! I highly recommend it. :)

7. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Of course it is a great book it is HUGE for one and two I read it less that 24hrs and read it 7 times over the next 12 days after that I love that book.

8. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    Robota By Doug Chiang story by Orson Scott Card

Academy award-winning artist Doug Chiang and best-selling sci-fi author Orson Scott Card join forces for an extraordinary publishing adventure: Robota. An original illustrated science fiction novel, Robota follows the fortunes of a strangely powerful amnesiac named Caps as he navigates an ancient, decaying world in which a dwindling human population battles a society of merciless robot warriors. Aided by talking animals and stalked by terrifying hunter robots, Caps slowly rises to fulfill an awesome destiny. Integrating word and image, Card's masterful storytelling is interwoven with 75 pieces of Chiang's wildly imagined, meticulously rendered art. Packaged in a dramatic metallic case, this unusual and powerful collaboration is tailor-made to thrill.

9. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    Also Reading Genpei War

Reality and fantasy collide in this engrossing tale of two warring clans vying for power, prestige and the chance to influence the man who sits on the chrysanthemum throne. Setting her tale in Japan during the last days of the Heian period (roughly 1153-1185 C.E.), Dalkey (Blood of the Goddess) deftly uses her knowledge of Japanese culture, mannerisms and bloodthirsty politicking to chronicle the wars of rebellion and counter-rebellion that end in the death of the emperor and the rise of the first Japanese shogun. Two rival clans, the Taira and the Minamoto, clash numerous times over a period of 30 years, with each clan calling on the aid of demons or gods to gain superiority and power. Did demons and gods play a part in the brutal wars of competing emperors and the rise of the Japanese shogunate? Dalkey dramatizes the tantalizing possibilities of what might have been if they had. While she succeeds in bringing the history, customs and traditions of Japan to life, her many characters maintain a remoteness that will keep most readers from caring about any individual. In addition, the fantasy realm of the demons and gods that she posits is rather intangible and distant. But even so, the book, which reads more like a historical novel of political intrigue than a fantasy, boasts a strong story that holds the attention.

10. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    Robota By Doug Chiang I cant say enough good things about it! I highly recommend it to all!

11. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    At Home: Costume Construction by Katherine Strand-Evans.

At Work: HP: Order of the Phoenix.

~H~

12. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
    The Hedge Knight comic book, which is based on a short story of his is so awesome that I had to find his stuff.

13. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    Sat on my royal commode and read Entertainment Weekly and the cool KILL BILL article!

KILL BILL
    KILL BILL
    KILL BILL
    KILL BILL
    KILL BILL
    KILL BILL
    KILL BILL

14. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]What an example of today's society that the music and movie threads live on and the book thread is forgoten.

Anyhow...preparing for the next movie, I am finishing LotR Return of the King. It amazes me that these books are not that much bigger than normal books but the content is so much heavier that it takes longer to read.[/color]

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I am also Reading LOTR ROTK and Shatterpoint

16. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    The Collected Works of Elizabeth I, from UoC Press.

Unbelievable.

-Le Penguin
    "Shall I marry one of each?"

17. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Um, my new Insider? :D

18. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    I just started re-reading The Stand[/b], because I was in the mood for an epic tale of good vs. evil that didn't involve a Ring of Power. ;)

19. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 19)

20. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm reading Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams during my commute. I really like it, it's about a cat adventure which I know makes me extra dorky to read a fantasy book about cats.

At night, I read Rogue Planet. It's fine, but it's no cat adventure.

21. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Agatha Chrstie's "Murder on the Orent Express."

-Le Penguin
    "You may want to come back to that one."

22. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I just found out that the book that really got me into reading is reprinted. Windhaven by George Martin and Lisa Tuttle is out again. I'm enjoying it twenty years later. Thank you to the nerds who sent their SF/F books to the rez in the 80s!

I'm still trying to get through Rogue Planet, blah!

How was the Elizabeth book, Le_P? I love how depending on what country's perspective she turns powerful to evil to pawn.

23. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    The Elizabeth book's a text for a class I'm taking on her life. Th eclass is obviously biographical, but the book is neat because it's entirely made up of her writings (letters, transcribed speeches, even poems) with just a few notable exceptions (contemporaries' resonses to her letters, speeches, etc)

She certainly had/has as many detractors as supporters (depending on which aspects of her are visible at any one time), but the book in question is an attempt to view her life from her own perspective. It's fascinating reading (she was practically some sort of diplomatic-sevant) but a little slow-going thanks largely to the deluge of footnotes for each entry (damn you, King's English!!!)

-Le Penguin
    "I will have one mistress here, and no master."

24. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    "The Hipster Handbook" by Robert Lanham

"The Two Towers" by ProllyGoesW/OSaying

25. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    The works of Japanese architect Shigeru Ban

Thread Status: