main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bosh_Talk, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Reading Seinfeld The Making of an American Icon: The Unauthorized Biography Of Jerry Seinfeld

2. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Art of War by chinese guy to lazy to go up stairs and grab the book.

Reading for the 15th time.

3. Eon-Wan-Mome_NT

Eon-Wan-Mome_NT Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2003
    Mitch Albom's "The Five People You Meet in Heaven". Oh wait..I finsihed that already. [face_blush] I am reading nothing. :(

Next I want to read The Da Vinci Code (spelling?)

4. Rabid__Wolverine2004

Rabid__Wolverine2004 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2004
    i was reading a book on submission holds.

5. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Raymond Chandler's "The Big Sleep."

"He stood there politely, one hand touching the door at his back, the other holding a gray hat and flapping it gently against his thigh. He looked hard, not the hardness of a tough guy. More like the hardness of a well-weathered horseman. But he was no horseman. He was Eddie Mars."

-Le Penguin
    "Well, I try to be."

6. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    finally....
    "Tatooine Ghost".

7. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    That would be Sun Tzu, Peaches... just so you know. :) The question is, which translation? Have you read more than one translation, and how much variation is there between them?

8. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    I've got two translations of The Art of War. One's a "pocket" version translated by Thomas Cleary. It's very straightforward: succinct translation of the original text with some brief interpretations in each chapter.

The other version is much more... entertaining. Brian Burya provides the English translation of a truly unique adaptation of the original text by Taiwanese cartooninst Tsai Chih Chung. Imagine the drawing style of Sergio Agornes (MAD magazine, Groo) being used to teach ancient military tactics. There's no shortage of whimsy in the drawings themselves --goofy facial expressions and anthropomorphosized(sp?) animals-- but the text itself is fully intact, and he even offers an indtroductory tale of Sun Tzu's days as a general. Fun sutff.

-Le Penguin
    "The streets were dark with something more than night."

9. Mapman

Mapman Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    The Lando Calrissian Adventures

10. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    Okay, I've never had an urge to read "The Art of War" until now, but that Brian Burya translation, the illustrated one, sounds pretty cool. Do you have an ISBN for that? (you can PM me that info if you'd prefer)

11. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Spoken like someone who works (worked?) in a bookstore, tho when I was at Borders, we were always pressured to use their internal BINC system. feh.

Anyhoo, the ISBN's: 0-385-47258-7

Since I'm in this thread, I might as well mention that I just started Raymond Chandler's "Farewell, My Lovely." Not surprisingly, it's pretty good so far. Plus, it's always interesting to see words and terms that are considered offensive these days used in a non-offensive context in the past.

-Le Penguin
    "That boy playing the piano... what's his name?"

12. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Midnight Blue by Nancy A Collins.

I bought this book at CapriCon...

13. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    Penguin, my friend, you've known me how long and didn't realize that I work at Barnes & Noble? Or were you just not sure that I still work there? :)

Gold star to the first person (besides Penguin) who can tell me what ISBN means....

14. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    International Serial Book Number?

International Society of Baseball Nerds?

15. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    Oooooooooooooh, so close! ;)

16. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    The Baseball or the Book one? :D

17. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    The book one... it's International Standard Book Number. :) Silver star for you because you had it almost all correct.... :D

I laugh inside every time someone asks me to look up a book and says, "I have an ISBN number for you." That would mean that they have an International Standard Book Number number. Heh.

18. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Not unlike when people ask for someone's PIN number, or when someone on Sportscenter says "RBI's."

currently reading "Raising Hell, A Concise History of the Black Arts - and Those That Dared Practice Them" by Robert Masello. Like his other great supernatural guidebook ("Fallen Angels and Spirits of the Dark") Masello has adopted the perfect style for writing about demons and sorcerers: the tales and accounts themselves are told very straightforward, but his preface and chapter introductions make it clear that he regards these tales as "true" only when they're viewed in the context of their mythology. In doing so, he's managed to create a couple of nice reference books for believers and non-believers alike. It'd be interesting to see someone take that approach to a more mainstream religion...

-Le Penguin
    "Bad corpse! Stop! Scaring! Smithers!"

19. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm re-reading Vision of the Future. I'm 1/5 done with it so far.

Phil

20. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    "Starfighters of Amudar"
    the last of the X-Wing series..

21. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    I've started on Vision of the Future and will have it finished by Saturday. ;)

After that, I think I'll revisit Watership Down. I haven't read that in ages... or seen the film, for that matter.

22. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2004
    NJO Balance Point

Oh yeah, I'm new here, hi guys and girls, I live in central Illinois and I feel like I'm the lone person I know who is into Star Wars.

23. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Welcome, you've certainly come to the right place for SW.
    Currently reading PSM magazine. It has info on the next Mortal Kombat game. Will also start Vision of the Future today.

24. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    I'm finishing up Vision Of The Future.
    Dang, I love chapter 39. [face_love]
    It's as good as the "I Know" scene in ESB.

25. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina"

.....I really ripped through "Starfighters of Adumar"...I liked it....but looks like "Tales" is going to be a struggle....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.