main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by Jedi_Natalie, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

JUMPMASTER_REVAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    The first chapter made me laugh out loud, or preface, whatever it was. After that I was hooked. But it is on hold until I get done with my Reagan book.

2. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I made it 3rd Tuesday this time.

3. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Well I just finished reading Team Of Darkness by Tony Ruggiero. Andrew and I had met him at the last con and I picked up one of his books. I can't believe how good that book was! It was a very different book than I am used to reading. It was modern day US when the military discovers the existence of a small group of vampires. One general in particular sees the idea as a potential weapon against other countries because who would admit taht vampires had attacked them? Therefore attacks would go unexplained. What I especially loved was that it went beyond the military story and really told the story of the vampires and how they came to be such creatures. Character development was great. The author was retired from the SEALS so his military knowledge really showed through. I read the book in about 1 night.

Well now I'm starting Final Prophecy (second to last book in the New Jedi Order). Thus continuuing my tradition of rotating between a Star Wars book then to non-Star Wars book.

I just ordered a few new books off of amazon so am looking forward to that bunch coming in. I find with amazon that if you buy in bulk (3 books or more) then it is really cost efficent. You don't have to pay sales tax and there is no shipping charge on orders over $25. And usually there is also pretty good discounts on most books.

4. Anakin_Solo06

Anakin_Solo06 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 2004
    The book Morevi that I bought at the con right now is such a good book. I like it b/c it is kinda totally differnt from what I am normally reading. It is fun to read this book after you met the author b/c you kinda know what his thoughts were when he was writing this novel. Hopefully I can finish it up on my trip to Ohio tomarrow night.

5. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Well I now finished Final Prophecy. It was very good. Now I am going for a non-Star Wars book. Its a fantasy called Darkness and Dawn by Andre Nortan. So far its pretty good. I have to say I judged this book by the cover, I couldn't turn it down - it had cats on it! hehe :)

6. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Wow this book is awesome. Darkness and Dawn is actually an omnibus of 2 other books, the one I'm reading now was originally called Star Mans Son and was written in 1952. It takes place about 250 years after nuclear bombs destroyed life as we know it and very few survived and those that did had to live through a plague that followed. There was terrible radiation sickness and the increase levels of radiation changed teh DNA of many species, wiping out others. Some humans remained normal while others were untrusted mutants (the main character being one of these). Dogs were wiped out, but the radiation actually made domestic cats grow to the size of mountain lions in future generations while maintaining normal markings and also increasing their intelligence. Also rats and other animals became rather large and dangerous. The story follows a mutant human and his cat as they explore forgotten deserted cities with skyscrapers and airplanes while they search for knowledge of their ancestors.

7. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Well I haven't finished Darkness & Dawn yet but I picked up another book to read as well. This one is called The Automatic Millionaire, by David Bach. Its basically a financial planning book that discusses savings plans (401k, stocks, etc), mortgages, and other ways of saving money and getting enough put away (no matter what your annual salary is) while still having a life.

So far I love this book. Since I graduate from college in a year I want to formulate a plan to deal with my money. I think I will pick up a couple more financial books before the summer is out.

8. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I just finished Bones Burnt Black, by Steven E. Cobb. It was withought a doubt one of the most entertaining and beleivable Sci-Fi books I've ever read! The science in it was actual science, and it rocked! Mr. Cobb was one of the Authors at ConCarolinas, and we were able to get a rockin' interview with him!

I am currently reading the "Autobiography of Henry the VIII, with notes by his fool Will Somers" a novel by Margaret George. SO far it has proved very facinating...she definitly reserched this very well!!

9. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    I just got Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It's about the life of the Wicked Witch of the West. I am omly a few chapters into it and I am hooked. Alright, I am off to read some more.

Oh, I also bought the soundtrack from the Broadway show based on the book.

10. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I saw Wicked on the bestseller list. Sounds like quite an interesting book :) .

I just finished Darkness and Dawn and The Automatic Millionaire. Now I've started Life, The Universe, And Everything, by Douglas Adams. It is the third book in the Hitchhikers Trilogy.

11. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    For anyone who has read The Da Vinci Code - what did you think of it? I've heard a lot of hype over this book and it is a major seller. I'm contemplating reading it sometime if it is as good as I have heard. So let me know what you thought of it!

For Harry Potter fans - The next book will be titled Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince!

12. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
  13. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm gonna go out and try to find "Ric Flair - To Be the Man" tonight. After all these Richard Clark and Bob Woodward books, I need something a little lighter to read.

14. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I'm actually planning on starting a Bob Woodward book. I'm not sure I"ll make it through but I do want to read it. Its in the lineup, maybe 2 books away from where I am now.

15. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    Oh, Wicked was an awesome book! My hubby bought us tickets to go see Wicked on B'Way in August so I am excited! Joe is currently reading the DaVinci Code and he keeps saying "this is the BEST book."

So is J.K. Rowling still writing, or is she almost done? I will start waiting at the bookstores now.....

16. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    My guess would be that its in the editing process right now. I would imagine that even when she finishes (like #5) they will hold it for the most oportune release in accordance with the movies to keep the fans alive. So I would imagine it will be released 6 months before the next movie comes out to keep feeding teh fans.

Will you be coming to the barbecue?

17. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    Well I would certainly like to. I will have to check the duty roster and see how it is looking. If I don't have to work though, that would be great!

18. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Boba_Fett_of_Nine Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2003
    Star Trek The Next Generation: The Battle of Betazed by Charlotte Douglas and Susan Kearney. Next up on the agenda is Star Trek: The Lost Era 2311: Serpents Among the Ruins by David R George III. I am really estatic about getting into the DS9 relaunch novels after I finish these two.

19. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    Flyboys by James Bradley

Just started, but so far, I am intrigued and already a little mad.

20. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Well I finished the 3rd Hitchhiker book - it was ok but I'm ready for something else. I'm about half way through the last New Jedi Order book, The Unifying Force.

21. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    I just started on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

I love it so far and already I'm making casting decisions for parts in it already.

*chuckles*

See ya!

22. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    So who ya thinkin' for the cast so far??

23. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Well I finally finished the New Jedi Order! It was an interesting series however I felt it was drawn out for to long.

I read I, Robot yesterday. It was a lot better than I was expecting! For those that don't know the book was written in the 1940's and is about 1995 to 2080 (or around there, can't quite remember). So it was interesting to see some of his predictions for what the future looked like. I'll save most of my thoughts for our next meeting but I just wanted to mention the funny use of the "slide rule mathematicians."

Tonight I will start Bush At War, by Bob Woodward.

24. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Well I finished Woodwards book so now I'm on to Eragon. It is a young adult book about the size of Harry Potter books. It is the first in the Inheritence Trilogy. Paolini started this book at age 15 and it is his first major novel. It is about a boy who finds out he is hte last of the dragon riders.

Here is my reading list I am going through:
    Order Of Books To Read

And here are the books I have already read:
    Reading List 2004

25. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    Done with Flyboys -- incredible book, though quite disturbing in parts. Now reading Up Front by Bill Mauldin. You know, those Willie & Joe cartoons from WWII? The guy was a comic genius. And Patton couldn't stand his stuff, which of course only makes me like him more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.