What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Raleigh, NC' started by Jedi_Natalie, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JUMPMASTER_REVAN Jedi Knight

star 1
    Finished Up Front. Now reading Using The Force in full force. I am on a reading roll!!
  2. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I know what you mean :) . I'm flying through the books this summer. Who knows when school starts when I will ever be able to do leisure reading again. Hehe I'm trying to get through everything in one summer - just won't work that way.
  3. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    "Now I've started Life, The Universe, And Everything, by Douglas Adams. It is the third book in the Hitchhikers Trilogy. "

I loved the Hitchhikers series, I think there is a 4th book too (if I am remembering correctly).

I couldn't make it through Flyboys (very upsetting), although Flags of our Fathers (same author) was way good.

The DaVinci code was very entertaining, you should enjoy it. His other Book, Angels & Demons was kind of a let down in comparison.

I've just finished re-reading Pride and Predjudice (my favorite book ever), and Persuasion. Jane Austen ROCKS!!!

I'm currently reading "Dearest friend, the Biography of Abigail Adams" and another book in the Redwall series. Does anyone else read 2 books at once? I need help!!!
  4. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    I just finished What Color is Your Parachute, and now I'm reading the text for the Fast Trac "How to be an Entrepeneur." ...and I just purchased Teach Yourself C at Barnes and Noble using my birthday present from Natalie and Chris! Thanks Natalie and Chris you guys are awesome! I saw a job in the N&O Sunday that required some C programming in a mainframe environment. Had my head stuck in "no programming sand" for too long... :eek:
  5. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    WHat color is your parachute, what's that about?
  6. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    "WHAT COLOR IS YOUR PARACHUTE? HOT AGAIN, 30 YEARS AFTER DEBUT." So ran the headline this past October in the Seattle Times. Actually, it has been "hot"?the best-selling job-hunting book in the world?year after year, for more than three decades now, so much so that it is referred to as "the job-hunters? bible." Each year it is updated, and sometimes vastly rewritten, by the author, giving first-time and veteran readers alike something new to discover. For those who have not read an updated version in recent years, this is a reminder of why, in the words of Fortune magazine, "PARACHUTE remains the gold standard of career guides."
  7. JUMPMASTER_REVAN Jedi Knight

star 1
    Finished the SW book. Now moving on to The Purpose Driven Life w/ my husband. Also starting Balance Point (my next book in the line of NJO) and A Galaxy Not So Far Away , which has a bunch of essays about SW (guess that goes without saying.) Anyhow, keeping myself busy.
  8. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    Eragon was interesting though way to much of it was copied from bits and pieces of all different famous sci-fi/fantasy (ie tons of LotR, SW, and chronicles of pern). However the dragon was my favorite character and the story has some potential so I will read the next 2 in the trilogy once they are released.

I've just now started Morevi which I had bought at ConCarolinas. I'm going to have to be extra carful with the binding since its a large paperback. I'm the type of person that likes my books to remain looking brand new - no creases :p .

Janine - Yah there are actually 5 books in the Hitchhikers Trilogy (So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish and Mostly Harmless). I hope to read them before the summer ends (they are sitting on my bookshelf). I've heard way to much about the DaVinci code to not read it - it sound awesome! I absolutely cannot wait to read the Redwall series!!! I've heard such wonderful things about it! I actually used to read several books at once - sometimes up to 5. But since college started I'm lucky to get through 1 book in 6 months so I stopped doing that. This summer I'm just zipping through the books though :D .

Revan - I've seen The Purpose Driven Life a lot on the bestseller list. You'll have to let me know how good it is.
  9. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    "I'm the type of person that likes my books to remain looking brand new - no creases ."

Yeah, my husband and I are nerdy like that too. ;)

The Redwall Series is wonderful, especially if you like reading British-Children's books. The plots all tend to recycle themselves after a while, but they are such a delight to read that I heartily reccomend them as a fun read. They also make you hungry when you read them (they talk about food in detail, just like any good Brit Kid's book). I've had a lot of luck finding them at used book stores in both Kids sections and Sci-Fi fantasy.

I've got an extra copy of the DaVinci Code if any wants it. I can send it up with Ron this weekend, and he can give it to Don,
  10. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll probably end up buying the book at some point. I have kind of a library going on in my room :) . Thanks for the offer though.
  11. JUMPMASTER_REVAN Jedi Knight

star 1
    A Purpose Driven Life
    I am only on day (chapter) 3. Short chapters you read each night over a 40 day period. Kinda cool.
  12. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I finished Morevi over vacation and also read Getting A Financial Life In Your 20's And 30's . Now I am started another young adult book (the first in a trilogy) called Birth of the Firebringer, by Meredith Ann Pierce. It is all about unicorns and other mythological creatures and there are absolutely no humans in the story!
  13. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Ohhhh! Let me know how that is, because I'd be intersted in reading it!

I just finished Taggerung (Redwall Book), and Dearest Friend, the Biography of Abigail Adams. FACINATING Lady!

I'm now reading "Songmaster" by Orson Scott Card, one of my fav Authors ever (he wrote Ender's Game).

I'm like you Natalie, I never borrow books, I always buy because I want to keep them to re-read, and have a library!
  14. stacey113 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey gang, I finally finished Time Enough for Love! YAY!
    It was a fascinating book, but very long.
  15. JUMPMASTER_REVAN Jedi Knight

star 1
    Finished, ummm... what did I finish? The beer (Jedi Juice) is getting to me. I finished the SW book A Galaxy Not So Far Away edited by Glenn Kenny and I am now on the Civil War book "Co. Aytch" written by an ol' Confederate Soldier. Not too far into it, but extremely entertaining.
  16. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I finished the Firebringer Trilogy (Birth of the Firebringer, Dark Moon, The Son of Summer Stars). Janine - that series is one of the most enchanting that I have read. It seems like something right out of a childhood fantasy - unicorns, dragons, wyverns, griffins, and lots more!!

I also finished book 4 and 5, the last of the Hitchhikers trilogy So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, and Mostly Harmless. And now I am back to Star Wars with Tatooine Ghost. Vacation is over though :( - but had lots of fun while I was there :D .
  17. Anakin_Solo06 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I finally had time and finish Morevi on my trip to Ohio. That book was worth all the money I paid for it. It had everything I was looking for in a book. I cant wait for the sequel to it whenever they bring it out. Now I am reading another Star Wars book before school starts.
  18. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    So which Star Wars book did you decide to go with?

I'm working through Dune: House Corrino. Its the last of the House Trilogy (prequel to Frank Herbert's Dune). Its very good just like the last 2 in the series :) .
  19. Anakin_Solo06 Jedi Knight

star 2
    The Star Wars book I am reading is Star Wars Medstar 1: Battle Surgeons. It is pretty good, I agree with some of the reviews I read, this book is like M.A.S.H, but made with the Star Wars universe. Haven't read it much though with my Western Civilization class taking up som much reading time.
  20. stacey113 Jedi Master

star 4
    I just started a Star Trek book Vulkan's Forge . I love Spock books.
  21. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I know Jane has read quite a few Star Trek books too.

I'm half way through Treason now.
  22. UniversalDestiny Jedi Master

star 4
    I've read most of William Shatner's Star Trek Books. Yes, I will admit I do have some Trekkie books in my collection but still they are fun to read.

-UD
  23. stacey113 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey girls there is no shame in being a Trekkie on a Star Wars board. :cool:
  24. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    Well now I'm on to Survivors Quest. The more I get into the semester the more my reading is slowing down.. Been away from the SW Universe for a while so now I will return for a bit :) .
  25. UniversalDestiny Jedi Master

star 4
    I've started on Spectre of the Past.

Back to SW :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.