main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    NYCitygurl likes this.
  2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I started the Drzzt (sp?) series ages ago and got through the first nine or ten. Keep meaning to pick them back up.

3. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Going to finish Leaving Everything most Loved by Jacqueline Winspear today and then start on Chosen by Ted Dekker (which is part of a prequel/in-series series to the Black-Red-Green trilogy)

4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I forgot to mention that I finished the Stover novelization of RotS. I had it on the authority of multiple sources on this site that it was supposed to flow from Labyrinth Of Evil, regain my lost faith in the EU, and be the best Star Wars book ever-ever-ever-and-this-time-I-mean-it.

It failed. It contradicts the narrative of LoE from page 1 onwards. One book insists the Republic is winning the war, the other that they are losing... For a book to impress me it needs to be well written, RotS isn't badly written all the way through, but it keeps doing things that I might have thought a good idea to write at age 12, such as 'this is what its like to be X/Y/Z' which Stover does for just about every character at one point.

The guy can write flowing uncomplicated action, but not much else. I'll give it one thing, it's quicker to read than Christopher Hitchens.

I'm two or three dozen pages from finishing 'No One Left To Lie To' and I get the impression that Hitch was trying to obscure his message -- a little less than in his book on Kissinger, but a lot more than his pamphlet on Mother Teresa. I'm left in no doubt regarding what Hitch thought of Bill Clinton, but there are chapters that suffer from verbosity (logorrhea is something he accuses Clinton of quite a lot, ironically enough).

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Cheese and the Worms by Carlo Ginzburg for my Reformation class.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  6. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    That was one of my favorite classes when I was in college!

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ugh I can't stand it. Very dull.

8. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently read Outbound Flight, The Approaching Storm, and the AOTC novelization. Reading Labyrinth of Evil next.

Amazing.

9. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm reading the latest Terry Brooks book Bloodfire Quest.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD

10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I thought Outbound was okay, it was nice to see young Thrawn (but I felt he might have been portrayed as being a bit too kindly). The self contained aspects of the story were pretty good though. It's far superior to Survivor's Quest.

I've not read The Approaching Storm, how was it? I've not read an ADF book in years. There's probably a really good reason for that (just glancing over his bibliography now)....

I couldn't bring myself to finish the Wrede version of AotC, though I hear the Salvatore version is a lot better.

Labyrinth of Evil wasn't my cup of tea. Given that the ending was predetermined, it's amazing how aimless it was.

11. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino. Good stuff so far.

12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Charly's Epic Fiasco by Kelli London

So far it's okay. From what I've read of reviews it only gets more crazy. I'm glad we can see both sides of Charly's story though.

13. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Pretty terrible. The characterizations of Obi-Wan and Anakin were off, the plot was a lot of filler, and his efforts at world-building fell flat. Too many instances of creating some new race, throwing out a one line description and never revisiting. The Separatists seemed more like bumbling fools than any real threat. And he managed to create a character that seemed to be half Jar Jar, half Ducky from The Land Before Time. It was just kind of weird. If you're the completionist sort, it's worth reading, but that's about it. That's pretty much why I've been reading so much prequel-era EU recently. That and I've had most of these books since they came out and they've just been collecting dust.

Amazing.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    The Green Sky trilogy by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. Comprised of "Below the Root", "And All Between", and "Until the Celebration".

The trilogy is fairly old. It was originally published back in he 1970s. However, like many others, my first exposure to it was by playing the video game "Below the Root" released in the mid 80s for the Commodore 64, which, I would later discover, served as an officially canonical fourth part and final conclusion to the original trilogy.

The books paint a beautiful world of pure fantasy where all is calm and peaceful, and yet sinister secrets that could turn the world upside down lie just beneath the surface..."below the root" if you will. It's out of print now, but they thankfully recently released all three books for the amazon Kindle, so if you remember and enjoyed the game, I would recommend the trilogy so you can get the full story.

16. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    oooh that sounds interesting! I never played the game - never even heard of it. But it sounds like a good trilogy.

I busted through Kelli London's Charly books (1 & 2) today and will start on The comfort of Lies by Randy Susan Meyers tonight.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    This is my favorite book. Let me know your opinion when you finish.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dark Tide II: Ruin

20. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    starting on After Obsession by Carrie Jones & Steven E. Wedel.

21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I finished Deadhouse Gates a few days ago, now moving on to Memories of Ice, book 3 of Malazan: Book of the Fallen.

I'm also about halfway through Star Wars: Scoundrels.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Scoundrels was pretty good. I liked it.

Just started Polar Quest by Tom Grace. His Nolan Kilkenny books are thrillers in the Clive Cussler vein. I've read the others and had this in the pile. So far so good. Quite a bit of action so I think it will be a quick read.

23. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Have a few books on the go

Star Wars: The New Rebellion
    Magicans of Caprona
    Inkheart

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished Knight Errant novel. On to my DNT/LOTF/MF/FOTJ/Jaden Korr novel runthrough? Or Labyrinth of Evil or Shadows of the Empire?

25. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Taking a small break. Read A FEAST FOR CROWS, HAlF BLOOD PRINCE, DEATHLY HALLOWS, and DANCE OF DRAGONS.over the past 2 months. Time for something light. So as usual I pull out THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS.