main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Oh geez, DarthMane2. You definitely deserve a breather!

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Rereading Goblet of Fire.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's the Plagueis novel you're thinking of. :p

V-2 likes this.
  4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    How are they? I've had the first Malazan book for half a dozen years and haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

5. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Finally rereading WOT 8: Path of Daggers

NYCitygurl likes this.
  6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It's pretty good, so far. The series takes a little while to pick up- the author is very much a fan of showing you the lore, rather than just telling it to you outright. As such, I'm starting book three and I only have a basic understanding of the Malazan universe. Great stories, though. If you have ever played any of the Elder Scrolls games, the deities in Malazan remind me a bit of the Daedric Princes.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I have not. Maybe I'll give Malazan a try next year (after I get through WoT and Recluse :p )

8. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I just finished reading Mistborn: The Final Empire, by Brandon Sand--something.

Incredibly great read. As a terribly picky reader, I was surprised by how eager I was to keep turning the page. The last few chapters were really amazing.

I'm now starting the second book.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  10. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Star Trek Memories by William Shatner

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I LOVE Brandson Sanderson. He's amazing. Excellent choice :D

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'Hitler's Pope'. Essentially arguing that Pius XII was a fellow traveler of fascism and was more interested in preserving papal power and prestige than taking a moral stance against Nazism and the Holocaust. It is violently condemnatory of Pius as a person but also of the Catholic Church during this time. I don't know if the book's hypothesis is 100% accurate but I do think actual history falls somewhere in between this and the story we get from the Church and papal apologists today . It is a fascinating debate.

V-2 likes this.
  13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Secret Chambers: the inside story of cells and complex life by Martin Brasier. Good popular science insight into the earliest life on Earth and endosymbiosis in a combo with the anecdotes and the history of science.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That does sound fascinating! How much of a role does Mussolini play in the book?

15. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Two graves by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, which is the latest book about Agent Pendergast.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just started City of Veils by Zoe Ferraris. I liked her first book so I picked this up awhile back.

17. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Angelguard by Ian Acheson.

It's pretty decent so far. I love the message and how fast-paced it is, but the writing falls short IMO.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I just started that last night - pretty good so far. I like the Pendergast books.

19. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I need to reread their The Cabinet of Curiosities as a lot of stuff from that book is important for the plot in Two Graves.

Anyway, ending the Spring holiday with some history by reading David Baldwin's Robin Hood: The English Outlaw unmasked.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Also just started The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins today as my nonfiction read. Found it for £1 in a charity book display at the local corner store this morning. It looks pretty interesting.

V-2 likes this.
  21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I looked it up. Not what I'd normally read but it does sound very interesting.

I'm going to be starting We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo today

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm not that far into it but what I've read is pretty good. It's long (just under 700 pages for the paperback) so it will keep me busy for awhile.

23. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I think it's beautiful! It's easily Dawkins' best pop-science book.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Marvel Comics: The Untold Story - I was still hungry for more comics history after polishing off Men of Tomorrow, and this was available in free audiobook form via gratuitous abuse of creative implementation of Audible's free trial period, so it seemed like a logical choice. It's pretty well-written - periodically it dwells a bit too much on the actual comics themselves, rather than the creators and employees, but as even the text version had no pictures to speak of, I suppose that's a necessary evil for sampling purposes. Mostly, it's intriguing in that it cuts through a lot of the rumor BS that always swirls around comic history, and endeavors to paint as neutral a picture as it can manage (Jim Shooter still comes out looking like a king-sized jerk, which might be more Shooter's fault than the author's). Obligatory recommendation to "Marvel fans, comic fans, or pop culture history buffs," as they like to say for these things.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Obasan by Joy Kogawa for my Race and Ethnic Diversity in U.S. Lit class.