Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Plagueis was pretty good. I liked it. I know I read the X-Wing book but it was some time ago.
  2. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    If we had to suffer through it so must you!
    Last edited by Force Smuggler, May 10, 2013
  3. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    LOL, well it's a free book (public domain) from the 18th century by Charles Rollin.
  4. Grievousdude Jedi Master

star 3
    Well I do think The Unseen Queen has a cool cover anyway.
  5. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
  6. SWpants Force Ghost

star 4
    I am reading two books:

The Boy Who Shot the Sheriff: The Redemption of Herbert Niccolls Jr., by Nancy Bartley (appropriate to read at work)
    Wicked Intentions, by Elizabeth Hoyt (not appropriate to read at work)
  7. Ewok_Slayer Force Ghost

star 1
    @SWpants666. Scoundrels is good so far. It is an Ocean's Eleven type of plot. I'm not too far along though, so it might take a bad turn. I think if you like Tim Zahn's books you will like Scoundrels.
  8. SWpants Force Ghost

star 4
    *nods* I enjoyed it quite a bit. Because I knew it was an Ocean's Eleven-ish book going in, I found it more enjoyable than I think I might have not knowing it.

Zahn is spectacular :)
  9. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Scoundrels is still on my to-read list. It's sitting on my Kindle and everything, I just haven't gotten up to it yet.

Currently I'm reading Les Miserables because I recently wrapped up some Dickens and decided I needed to torture myself some more with another master of verbosity. :p
    NYCitygurl likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Done with the Dark Nest Trilogy. Thank god no more bugs until the end of FOTJ. Alema and Raynar by themselves in LOTF and FOTJ are amazing to read to read about.
  11. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    All the pretty horses. This is going to be the summer of Cormac, just cuz.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    THE IDEA FACTORY: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation by Jon Gertner. It is a tragedy.
  13. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville. As a Frenchman traveling in the United States only about fifty years into its existence, Tocqueville was fascinated by American society, especially its trailblazing political arrangements, and wrote this massive work of political theory both to analyze democratic society in America and to draw broader lessons for application in Europe, especially France, where the French Revolution had turned into tragedy but society was continuing to liberalize. It gives him an absolutely fascinating perspective, and it's interesting to read his take on American politics, culture, and social order. His conception of the movement of history is a bit too Whiggish, and he's reduced to using a lot of generalization as he tries to draw out larger principles, but it's still a hugely valuable, insightful outsider commentary packed with a ton of really perceptive observations. As a whole, it's too big and dry for the general reader, but there are a couple chapters that everyone really ought to read.
  14. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    That's very depressing.
    PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  15. Debo Chosen One

star 5
    [IMG]

Mary Blair, Disney heroine.
  16. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    The Comedy of Errors. I've read several of Shakespeare's plays, but nowhere near all of them, and I figured I'd go through his work. The Comedy of Errors is relatively light stuff, a silly mistaken-identity plot loaded with wordplay and slapstick. I'm always impressed with the density of wordplay in Shakespeare.
  17. SWpants Force Ghost

star 4
    Wildflowers b Schledia Benefield
  18. emilsson Chosen One

star 6
    C.S Friedman's A feast for souls, which is the first part of her Magister trilogy. So far it's a bit slow, but very interesting.
  19. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
  20. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Inferno by Dan Brown. I'm not that far into it, but its not bad so far. My only quibble with it is that there seems to be no character progression from one book to the next. I mean Langdon has gotten mixed up with the Vatican twice, along with the Louvre, CERN, the Knights Templar, the CIA, and the Freemasons. Shouldn't he have some contacts that he can call on when he gets into a jam. For the fourth time.
    Last edited by Chancellor_Ewok, May 16, 2013
    NYCitygurl likes this.
  21. V-2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I tried reading Dan Brown once.
  22. SWpants Force Ghost

star 4
    Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void

@Chancellor_Ewok Ugh that's how I felt with the last one. But still...Brown writes intriguing stories filled with the mysteries of the world.
  23. SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    X-Wing: Wraith Squadron: Iron Fist.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah I keep coming back to Dan Brown's books because he's really good at dropping Robert Langdon into a random European city and then creating a puzzle for Langdon to solve, usually at gun point. I just don't think its too much to ask to see Langdon develop as a character from one book to the next.
  25. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
    The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Castles, Palaces & Stately Houses of Britain & Ireland.

My parents have just returned from the British Isles and got me the book whilst they were over there. Lovely pretty pictures. :)
    NYCitygurl likes this.