main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Plagueis was pretty good. I liked it. I know I read the X-Wing book but it was some time ago.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If we had to suffer through it so must you!

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    LOL, well it's a free book (public domain) from the 18th century by Charles Rollin.

4. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well I do think The Unseen Queen has a cool cover anyway.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I am reading two books:

The Boy Who Shot the Sheriff: The Redemption of Herbert Niccolls Jr., by Nancy Bartley (appropriate to read at work)
    Wicked Intentions, by Elizabeth Hoyt (not appropriate to read at work)

7. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    SWpants666. Scoundrels is good so far. It is an Ocean's Eleven type of plot. I'm not too far along though, so it might take a bad turn. I think if you like Tim Zahn's books you will like Scoundrels.

8. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    *nods* I enjoyed it quite a bit. Because I knew it was an Ocean's Eleven-ish book going in, I found it more enjoyable than I think I might have not knowing it.

Zahn is spectacular :)

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Scoundrels is still on my to-read list. It's sitting on my Kindle and everything, I just haven't gotten up to it yet.

Currently I'm reading Les Miserables because I recently wrapped up some Dickens and decided I needed to torture myself some more with another master of verbosity. :p

NYCitygurl likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Done with the Dark Nest Trilogy. Thank god no more bugs until the end of FOTJ. Alema and Raynar by themselves in LOTF and FOTJ are amazing to read to read about.

11. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    All the pretty horses. This is going to be the summer of Cormac, just cuz.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    THE IDEA FACTORY: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation by Jon Gertner. It is a tragedy.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville. As a Frenchman traveling in the United States only about fifty years into its existence, Tocqueville was fascinated by American society, especially its trailblazing political arrangements, and wrote this massive work of political theory both to analyze democratic society in America and to draw broader lessons for application in Europe, especially France, where the French Revolution had turned into tragedy but society was continuing to liberalize. It gives him an absolutely fascinating perspective, and it's interesting to read his take on American politics, culture, and social order. His conception of the movement of history is a bit too Whiggish, and he's reduced to using a lot of generalization as he tries to draw out larger principles, but it's still a hugely valuable, insightful outsider commentary packed with a ton of really perceptive observations. As a whole, it's too big and dry for the general reader, but there are a couple chapters that everyone really ought to read.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That's very depressing.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  15. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    [​IMG]

Mary Blair, Disney heroine.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Comedy of Errors. I've read several of Shakespeare's plays, but nowhere near all of them, and I figured I'd go through his work. The Comedy of Errors is relatively light stuff, a silly mistaken-identity plot loaded with wordplay and slapstick. I'm always impressed with the density of wordplay in Shakespeare.

17. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Wildflowers b Schledia Benefield

18. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    C.S Friedman's A feast for souls, which is the first part of her Magister trilogy. So far it's a bit slow, but very interesting.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Inferno by Dan Brown. I'm not that far into it, but its not bad so far. My only quibble with it is that there seems to be no character progression from one book to the next. I mean Langdon has gotten mixed up with the Vatican twice, along with the Louvre, CERN, the Knights Templar, the CIA, and the Freemasons. Shouldn't he have some contacts that he can call on when he gets into a jam. For the fourth time.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  21. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I tried reading Dan Brown once.

22. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void

Chancellor_Ewok Ugh that's how I felt with the last one. But still...Brown writes intriguing stories filled with the mysteries of the world.

23. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    X-Wing: Wraith Squadron: Iron Fist.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah I keep coming back to Dan Brown's books because he's really good at dropping Robert Langdon into a random European city and then creating a puzzle for Langdon to solve, usually at gun point. I just don't think its too much to ask to see Langdon develop as a character from one book to the next.

25. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Castles, Palaces & Stately Houses of Britain & Ireland.

My parents have just returned from the British Isles and got me the book whilst they were over there. Lovely pretty pictures. :)

NYCitygurl likes this.