main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Heroes. Joe Abercrombie returns to the best setting from the First Law trilogy, the North, for a war story about one pivotal battle. The results are pretty great. He uses a massive cast to get a view all over the battle, and he handles the cast extremely well. A battle sequence in which the point of view hops from each character to his killer is especially impressive, though Abercrombie's standard chapters are perfectly impressive to begin with. The characters are complex and interesting, though I wish they showed a little more of Abercrombie's typical ability to avoid and subvert expectations. It's still a great entry to Abercrombie's oeuvre, though -- visceral action, memorable characters, clever plotting, distinctive prose, and another successful experiment in bringing other genres into his fantasy storytelling.

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls. David Sedaris. Pretty great so far.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I finished of Donaldson's Gap Cycle. If you have not read his books, The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant being his most famous work, I will tell you this dude must love typing. Everything is long winded, much like Stephen King. I recall reading the first version of The Stand and later finding out there was another version that added 200 more pages and thought, "Good Christ. He didn't need the first 900!"

Despite that his books are not a waste of time. They have a very "I cannot wait to see what happens next" appeal, even the "boring parts".

So.

I am on to Stardoc. This is one of those books that I have seen on shelf for years but never picked it up then got interested and could not find. Now they are hardly on new book shelf at all, and I found the first book in the series. I shalt now induldge.

[​IMG]

4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Infidel by Ted Dekker

5. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Love's Labor's Lost. A bold and unconventional comedy that ends not with the customary wedding, but with bad news and any potential wedding postponed. In the relatively misogynist world of Elizabethan comedy, it's pleasant to see a play in which the ladies have the upper hand over the foolish young men the whole time, and respond to their professions of love not by melting, but by issuing an ultimatum that they reflect for a year, prove they are truly in love and not merely a horny infatuation, and then they'll consider marriage. There's a whole element of lampooning pretentiousness and grandiosity that gives the play a nice bite, too.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Stardoc wasn't bad. I think there are two or three in the series. Haven't read any of them in awhile though.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    There's actually ten of them now

8. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    After not doing any serious reading for a while because of school, I've been going wild the last few weeks. Since early March, I've read:

Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Rogue Squadron
    Wedge's Gamble
    The Krytos Trap
    The Bacta War
    and Isard's Revenge by Michael Stackpole
    Wraith Squadron
    Iron Fist
    Solo Command
    and Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston
    Darth Plagueis
    and Cloak of Deception by James Luceno

I'm currently in the middle of The Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories by John Jackson Miller. Finished Precipice, Skyborn, Paragon, Savior, and Purgatory and started Senteniel. Planning to start Revan by Drew Karpyshn and The Phantom Menace by Terry Brooks tomorrow.

In other reading besides Star Wars;), I'm slowly working my way through the Bible: up through I Kings so far. Starting Dirk Pitt: Pacific Vortex by Clive Cussler tomorrow as well.

NYCitygurl and heels1785 like this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I have been out of the loop for awhile on those! I think I read the first two and I have number three in the reading pile.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    NYCitygurl likes this.
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    8 is definetly my dream home. :D

12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    VadersLaMent holy crap thank you

3, 8, 9, 19, 20, 23...

#13 - mph, my honeymoon may be similar to that...

#17 [face_laugh]

13. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    "I Could Pee on This" and other poems by cats.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  14. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Alright, so it is a lot different than ASOIAF though I wouldn't say that it is bad at all. By the end of the Iron King I was very eager to start the next book. It is set in France, and follows starts about 7 years after the fall of the Knights Templar.

There is a lot of intrigue and drama. Worth reading in my opinion.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'd say most of those 25 apply to me, especially the 'stack of books by the bed' one. And #7 was me when I still had cats. #8 looks like my living room a bit, though mine is less organized....:p. #9 is defintely me. I can't go into Waterstones and come out empty-handed.

Modly warning - a couple of the entries have language not allowed here (and NSFW).

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished Bloodlines and onto Tempest. Bloodlines has to be Traviss' best work imo.

17. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    17 & Gone by Nova Ren Suma. It's about a girl who can suddenly see the ghosts of girls who went missing and died when they were 17 - runaways and abductions. Their stories may tie together, even though they span quite a few years . It's eerie and sobering but very well-written and well-researched, as well as an interestingly chilling story.

18. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Finished Sentinel, Pantheon, and Secrets: only Pandemonium left to read in LTOTS: TCS, which I hope to finish tomorrow night. About a third of the way through both Revan and The Phantom Menace.

On a side note, I find it interesting that the Lost Tribe stories alternate between P and S titles: Precipice, Paragon, Purgatory, Pantheon, Pandemonium. Skyborn, Savior, Sentinel, Secrets, and the comic Spiral. Any clue as to why Del Rey/JJ Miller did the titles this way?

19. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Red Country. The latest from Joe Abercrombie. The blend of fantasy and western is really fun, though it does make for some odd wrinkles in the existing setting. As you'd expect, it's a massively bloody slog through an awful world, with an artistically added dash of hope that keeps it from being too depressing. Abercrombie's stories are getting a little too incestuous, and it's not breaking a ton of thematically new ground, but there's enough fresh there, and it's enough of a pleasure seeing Logen again, that I can't mind. Still great fun.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Just finished reading:

[​IMG]

now reading:

[​IMG]

21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Just finished Erik Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin". Excellent book.

Sent via Mojave Courier service

22. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Started Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris today.

23. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Finished Wraith Squadron. The humor was great. Onto Iron Fist.

RC-1991 and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Lord of the Rings-The Fellowship of the Ring. I haven't read this in ages and I am really appreciating it as an older and wiser reader.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Still working on the ninth Wheel of Time book. Have finally gotten to the point where, despite reading them back to back, I'm like, "Who is this again? Screw it, I don't care."