main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

To be fair, you're just not going to win a quick draw contest with a person who can pull your gun out of your hand and make it fly across the room with his mind.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Solo had the same lamentation.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    VadersLaMent
    I read the Amazon reviews of Red Knight. Might be something I like. I'll see if the local library has it.

4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    The Unseen Queen by Troy Denning

5. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Michael Chricton's (more like Robert Preston's) Micro.
    It's no Jurassic Park, but it's not bad.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Its not that good either, which is a shame, the concept was interesting. Too bad it was finished by a hack.

7. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    From what it sounds, Preston wrote the whole book entirely off of Chricton's notes and thought of the ending too. I would have loved to see Chricton's final 'version', how he would've expanded on certain items unknown to anyone or cut down on certain things, or even changed some of his ideas. His notes for the book should've been published. There really is a lot of potential and it really could have been the next Jurassic Park but we never saw all of Chricton's ideas.

It starts off good, then gets boring, then gets interesting again, then ends boring.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I read the original Dragonlance books thi spast year and thought them a big let down. I have read other Dragonlance books and they were outstanding; The Dragons, Dragons at War, Lord Soth's origins and time in Ravenloft. So I am not done with this Kaz book and I put it aside because it is not very good.

Moving on to The Adversary by Erin Evans...MUCH better so far.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I think the story behind the writing of Micro is that Crichton was about a third of the way through his manuscript when he died, which is why it starts out strong and then turns into a train wreck.

wmu'14 likes this.
  10. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Give Solo his due, he did win the quick draw contest: he gets off at least three shots before he gets the gun pulled out of his hand. All three shots have to be blocked by Vader's hands, which sure indicates they're on target. Vader didn't even have time to pull his saber and deflect the bolts.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Billy Budd by Herman Melville. Talk about a character-driven story. Melville writes beautifully, but he never uses one word when ten will do.

12. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I've heard good things so I started Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

13. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    "Being a Green Mother" by Piers Anthony

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Dragon Fantastic edited by Rosalind Greenberg

Sarge likes this.
  15. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    A Song of Ice and Fire Book Five: A Dance With Dragons.

The Languedoc Trilogy Volume I: Labyrinth, by Kate Mosse. I picked up this book last year but never finished it. Now that the 2012 TV miniseries adaptation is finally airing here in the United States in a few weeks (May 22 & 23, 8 to 10 pm, The CW) and I want to see it, I'm reading the book first. Almost halfway through so far, and it's an interesting read.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Star Wars: Darth Plagueis

V-2 likes this.
  17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm rereading the Dresden series in preparation for the new book coming out this month. I'm on the first one now.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Have you read Pirate Latitudes? It's really good, but it doesn't feel like a Michael Crichton novel.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This is better than I thought it would be.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, That was the last book that he actually finished. I have it but I haven't read it yet. Its buried in my pile Wasn't Steven Spielberg doing something with that?

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @VLM, I vaguely remember reading Dragons Fantastic years ago. It's probably still in a box somewhere.

Pirate Latitudes was OK. IMO, it didn't do anything special with the generic pirate story. I don't regret reading it, but I have little interest in going back to it.

I just finished Iron Angel, Alan Campbell's sequel to Scar Night. It's a dystopic fantasy with gods at war and humanity caught in the middle. Darker than what I usually like to read, but just enough glimpses of decency and hope to keep me going. It ends on a cliffhanger; don't know if I'll bother looking for the next one or not.

22. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    No, but it's on my To Read list. I'm debating between it and a few others now that I've finished Micro. I had originally, and a lot of other people seem to as well, compare Micro to Jurassic Park, but I thought it was actually trying to be closer to Prey, my second favorite Chricton book, an item where I think it failed miserably at. Lot of similarities with both, though.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I read it when it came out and thought it was okay, but to me at least it felt like it could've used a bit more polish. I just got the sense that Crichton wouldn't have released it in that state, which is probably why it was still on his hard drive when he passed away and not a book store.

I wonder what ever happened to the film adaptation Spielberg was going to do?

And speaking of Michael Crichton...

- Just finished (last week): Star Wars: Honor among Thieves. Meh, it was okay. It' starts off strong, captures Han (who's the main character) pretty well. It just sort of fizzles out long before its rather brief page count is over.

- Currently reading: Jurassic Park. Not sure why it's taken me so long to get around to reading it. I'm about 50 pages in, and thus far it's quite a bit different than the movie.

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Red Phoenix by Larry Bond... I'm 200+ pages in, and it's a rather engaging geopolitical thriller (concerning North & South Korean tensions that have ripple effects for other world powers) with a plethora of interesting characters. The only downside thus far is a seemingly unnecessary subplot with one of the American protagonists, a subplot in which he's wooing a fellow service member to be his lady friend. Boring!

Sarge likes this.
  25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The Last Man on the Moon by Gene Cernan.