main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    rothfuss recently been more willing to admit that, while The Kingkiller Chronicle is only a trilogy of main books, that does not mean there will not be a continuation of the story/further adventures of kvothe after The Doors of Stone (the current title for main book three)

i think this makes sense, exp considering like nothing of epic significance has happened in the "present" timeline of kingkiller, except to outline that **** is ****** up and the world is in need of some sort of heroic intervention, presumably from a re-mojofied kvothe. there's no way he can wrap that plotline up satisfyingly in a third book, especially not with all the stuff he still has to accomplish in the "past" timeline (like, killing a "king", for one thing)

there will be more (assuming the ****** ever gets around to "editing" doors of stone so we can actually read it, let alone writing the future installments)

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ah, thankies. It does say now that I look 196 pages.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's good, but it is long and takes a while to get up to speed. It does have the problem that Sanderson is just not naturally funny as a writer, but he seems determined to refute this by having two characters in this series that are supposed to be witty. It's not such a big problem in this book, but in the next the clever wordplay becomes really pretty tedious, imo. Sanderson's great at world-building, plotting, and action, so the odd misstep regarding humour is by no means a deal-breaker.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It got rave reviews, sounds right up my alley, and last I heard, was getting a movie adaptation. Really looking forward to this one.

5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I gave TWoK a 5/5 stars but I don't know if I want to go through nine more books like that. Only because of time constraints. The character and world building was spectacular.

I'm reading Shield and Crocus by Michael R. Underwood now...which is about people who've been Sparked into abilities. I think I need to lay off the heavy fantasy after this :p

6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

I feel the same way about Cook's Black Company books. He constantly tries to weave in humor with the silly antics of two misfit wizards. But since their antics involve magic and spells, it means that he has to spend an entire paragraph or so on describing what's happening. It's tedious, labored, and just plain annoying since they aren't ever funny.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Probably going to start Orfeo by Richard Powers later. It got a good review in one of the weekend papers and Waterstones had it in stock when I was in town this morning. Author has written other books but this is the first I've bought by him.

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Moby-Dick, or, The Whale. I tried this in seventh grade, was bored out of my mind, and was unable to finish it. So I gave it another try as a mature reader. And I loved it. Structurally, it's all over the place, starting as a sort of naval adventure tale before digressing repetitively throughout the middle into passages on whales and whaling, and ending up as the semi-supernatural Shakespearean-Biblical meditation on any deep theme it can find. The book survives its diverse ambitions well, delivering on all fronts. Melville's writing is great. I just really enjoyed it.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Forever King, by Molly Cochran and Warren Murphy. Yet another "King Arthur returns in the 20th century" novel. It pushed all the right buttons for me; I read it in a day. Characters are believable and likable, except for the villain who is believable and utterly despicable. The story is familiar, but enough of a fresh take to keep it interesting. I'll keep my eyes open for more novels by these authors.

11. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Rereading The Trial of Socrates, by I. F. Stone. An excellent examination of the possible motivations of Socrates
    during his trial, in particular his predilection of directing condescending insults towards the court instead of a
    plausible defense, even as the possibility of a guilty verdict and death sentence loomed.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Happy Hour in Hell, Tad Williams.

13. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
    Basically it's a book on fandom, nerds/geeks, fanfiction, and learning that you can grow up and still love things that came out when you were a child.

14. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Which it is the 15th book in the Aubreyad, The Truelove, by Patrick O'Brian.

I'm at this stage where I don't want to read anything else but this series.

CloneUncleOwen and Sarge like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Still Game of Thrones

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    FRAGWAGON, you're going through 'em like smoke 'n' oakum. Three quarters of the way through the series now, but who's counting, right?

Have you read 21, the unfinished book? It's nice to get a little more of Jack & Stephen, but disappointing that there is no outline or notes to show where the story might have gone.

CloneUncleOwen and FRAGWAGON like this.
  17. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No, this is my first turn through the series. I took a long break in the middle of Nutmeg, missed the characters like crazy, and am back at it, reading hungrily as a sharp set Jack Aubrey tucking into soused hog's face.

CloneUncleOwen and Sarge like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    **** it, I'm reading Bourne Supremacy now.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Lean In: Women, Work & the Will to Lead - Sheryl Sandberg

[​IMG]

Sandberg created some controversy with her remarks about women needing to “lean in” to their jobs. Some women took that as Sandberg saying the underrepresentation of women in the workforce and in leadership roles in particular was the fault of women, not of an unfairly tilted system. Well, in this book Sandberg calls both sides to task. Yes, the system is broken, but also women too often allow themselves to be marginalized via their behaviors. And, for Sandberg, it’s women in power that will fix the system. Plusses here: this is obviously a passion project for Sandberg and it shows. She and her staff present an insane amount of studies indicating that gender bias isn’t just alive and well, it’s still absolutely pervasive. I’m not sure how anyone could read this book and come away thinking gender bias isn’t a big deal; it certainly is. It’s 2014, but these stats and studies will make your jaw drop and your head spin. Now, neither Sandberg nor her ghostwriter will be winning any prose awards; the prose is often clunky and the book is occasionally kind of hard to read for this reason. But it’s short; the body of the book isn’t even two hundred pages long. And the message? Important? Essential. The clunkiness of the book keeps it from being a great book; give this material to some wonderful prose stylist and you might have a masterpiece. But the immediacy, the passion and the shocking realities that this book puts in front of the reader? Those things mean it has to be a recommended book. I think everyone should read this book, probably. Very good. Recommended. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – clunky prose, but the way the book explores the pervasive gender bias of our society will change the way you look at gender and prejudice. Very good. Recommended. 3 ½ stars.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Now reading The Way Of Shadows by Brent Weeks.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Finished Use of Weapons last night. It was so so. The narrative structure was too confusing and caused the book to wander a lot. Over all, I didn't think it was as good as Consider Phlebas or Player of Games, although the plot twist at the end was interesting and unexpected. Next on my reading list is Sally Ride.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  22. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes To War - Max Hastings

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Listen! The Wind, by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Foreword by Charles Lindbergh, 1938. It's 1933 and the Lindberghs are returning to America from a survey flight to Europe in their seaplane. Anne's prose is beautifully poetic (she was a published poet). Charles' intro is also well-written and very different; his writing is as precise and well-thought out as his piloting was. This is a worthy follow-on to North to the Orient.

24. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    "And Eternity" by Piers Anthony

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

is this before or after he became nazi-president of the united states?