main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

*fist bump for steinbeck*

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I finished off The Martian and that honestly lived up to its hype. I have a bone to pick with the author "...but only the Original Trilogy" Blah! This will most certainly work as a film too. I put this book off for quite awhile, but I'm glad I decided to give it a go.

Moving on.

[​IMG]

Having read Tad Williams' Bobby Dollar books this past year I am looking forward to this. 780 pages.

3. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Star Wars Omnibus: Droids and Ewoks

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Gotham Central

Will soon be jumping into David Chandlers: Campaigns of Napoleon. Both excited to read about the glories of the man, but dreading the page count. Over 1000 pages. Still, it's 3 volumes, and not one huge book so that helps.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    It seems I am Always reading something by Michael Crichton or Stephen King, but a few years ago I read "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell, IT Changed my life forever....

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Do East of Eden next. I just read that this year and it's an absolute masterpiece.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've recently been trying to get back the voracious love of reading I had when I was younger. I find I'm too easily distracted now, and reading for my classes has killed my desire to perform the same task for pleasure. But now that the semester is winding to an end, I'm trying to find time and ease my way back into it by reading different types of writing simultaneously. Surprisingly enough, this has actually helped restore my focus on what I'm reading tremendously. I'm working my way through A New Dawn so I can keep up with the current Star Wars canon, The Picture of Dorian Gray (I like Wilde best in small doses), and I'll probably do Shelley's Prometheus Unbound on the nine hour car ride back home this weekend since it's short. I'll start Kracauer's Theory of Film: The Redemption of Physical Reality after I finish Dorian Gray and Tarkin after A New Dawn. My girlfriend's father bought me The Hero with a Thousand Faces over Thanksgiving break, so I'll take a crack at that over winter break. I also decided to re-read Watchmen for the first time since seventh grade, taking it an issue a day, and wow is it a remarkable work.

Long post, but the TL;DR is: started reading heavily again after a lapse several years, found it to be one of the best decisions of my college career.

V-2 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    good for you, thor molecules

9. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

I finished my seven year degree last month, having felt the same way about heavy reading all the way to the end, and have fallen back into it since.

The idea that there won't be a test on all of what I'm reading at the end is so alluring.

10. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Just finished; Tarkin by James Luceno. TBH I was underwhelmed. The background information about Tarkin is interesting and welcome (not to mention unexpected), but the story itself is hardly the definitive Tarkin tale. Maybe I just had my hopes up that the focus would be about the machinations and back room politics of the Empire. There's some of that here, but most of the plot is generic, shrugworthy stuff. That's the second rather 'meh' entry in the newly re-launched EU IMO (the other being the Rebels prequel A New Dawn).

But the hunger created by the new TFA trailer remains, so I will venture back into the EU with another James Luceno novel, the now non canon(?) Darth Plagueis.

11. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Had a hard time getting into Revan so instead I decided to move onto:

X-Wing: Rogue Squadron

12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Rereading I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus by S. G. Browne

13. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    'Fat loss happens on Monday'. I'm finally resigned to the fact that I'll never be a full-time trainer unless I start accepting clients with purely aesthetic goals and no great love of exercise.

14. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Reading The Sight by David Clement-Davies.
    Wolves are my favorite animals and I'm getting into fantasy so I figure to give it a try.

15. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss

16. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Habits of the House (2012) – Fay Weldon

[​IMG]

Weldon’s one of the creators of Upstairs, Downstairs and so let’s hop back on the Downton Abbey bandwagon. This book takes place at the turn of the century and it’s a standard issue drama of manners. Read it for my book club. It’s a quick enough read because it’s written very simply and the plot isn’t hard to follow. There’s really nothing interesting at all here. The characters are flat, the dilemmas are predictable and it’s apparently the first book in a trilogy; guess what I won’t be reading. Recommended against. 2 stars.

tl;dr – inoffensive only because it’s entirely average, this drama of turn of the century British manners is clichéd and lazy. 2 stars.

More Book Reviews!

18. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The other day I acquired a stack of graphic novels for 10p each, ex-library copies (with stickers on some of the title pages, grrr)... Loads of stuff I wouldn't normally buy. I just finished a truly diabolical Star Trek that read like a fairly competent if heavily autistic fanfic, now I'm on a Crispus Allen era Spectre/Batman crossover that's short but intense. More proper reviews to follow, maybe.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Got two on the go - 'serious' book is one of Dickens' Christmas stories. Currently on A Christmas Carol. Other is Mira Grant's Symbiont. In between those I'm dipping into a huge annotated volume of Lovecraft stories. Volume is so heavy I'm doing it a story at a time. Nothing that I haven't read before but the annotations and occasional illustrations and pictures are interesting

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    To Marry an English Lord (1989) – Gail MacColl, Carol Wallace

[​IMG]

Non-fiction book about the phenomen of American girls coming to England to marry into the aristocracy in the late eighteen-early nineteen hundreds. Apparently, it was such a phenomenon that Edith Wharton wrote a book about it called The Buccaneers. Boy, do I wish I’d read that book instead. This one was a companion to the last one I posted, for the book club, but this one was far worse. It was one of the most horribly designed books I’ve ever read. Pictures just scattered willy-nilly and charts and text boxes everywhere. It didn’t function as any kind of narrative, jumped all around the place in terms of chronology. Boy, this was a bad book. Strongly Warned Against. ½ star.

tl;dr – confusingly structured, horribly designed non-fiction book about a completely non-interesting period in history. ½ star.

More Book Reviews!

21. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Been reading Wizard and Glass. I sort of abandoned King's Dark Tower series three years ago when books 2 and 3 didn't do much for me, but I'm really enjoying this one.

22. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The Sum of All Fears

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I didn't make it to the end of book 1 of King's Dark Tower series. It just didn't appeal.

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    that title alone sounds like a bad parody of the oversaturated epic fantasy market

25. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    I'm currently reading this thread. What are you reading?